Acura with the 3.5L, what is "excessive oil consumption"?

Would an Acura with a 3.5 V6 that burns a quart of oil every 500 miles be considered "excessive"?

Mileage is 180k.

What say you?

Last edited:
With that many miles you shouldn't expect it to work like new. Visible oil smoke is where I would consider it a problem.

Originally Posted by Tyson
Would an Acura with a 3.5 V6 that burns a quart of oil every 500 miles be considered "excessive"?

Mileage is 180k.

What say you?

Yes, that is excessive. Have you tried a high viscosity oil? Acura states that a quart per 1000 miles is the limit for warranty service. The out of warranty limit is what you are willing to tolerate.

A number of Acura owners have had success with an oil like Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT. A robust synthetic oil with a high HTHS.

Last edited:
I remember seeing an industry standard that mentions where one quart every 500 or 700 miles is considered excessive. At that point the engine needs to be repaired. I'm guessing it's due to excessive engine or converter fouling.

Honda extended the warranty on some of these to 8 yrs 125k miles whichever comes first for excessive oil consumption. So kind of a known problem. I think someone on here had the recall done but it started using oil again so he traded it in for a Lexus.

we are looking at another student car for the last kid in the house...seller is pretty open about the history, price is right, but the 1 qt/500 miles has me spooked.

He says it's been like that for years, no recent change.

What year and model is it? Not good for the cat converter. I'd avoid awd models since more parts could fail.

An 06 to 08 Corolla, Matrix, Vibe would be some solid choices.

Last edited:
move on,

Thats excessive and will cause a chain reaction of other problems - foul O2 sensors, kill the cats.....

Yes, that is excessive
crazy2.gif

Honda says more than a quart every 1000 miles is excessive.

Maybe I'm old school, but with that many miles I would keep adding oil every 500 miles until she will not go anymore. I kept an old Nova's V8 going for quite a few miles back in the day that burned oil quite a bit faster than 500 miles. It was still running when I eventually junked it.

You're effectively replacing all 4.5-5 quarts of oil, twice over, that that engine holds over the course of a regular oil change interval (presuming 5000 mile changes though 6-7k wouldn't be a concern for those engines in good condition).

VCM Motor? What year/model? If its non-VCM that is way high. If its VCM, you might see that, and its still not good, but it happens with those motors.

That is very excessive oil consumption. My daughters Santa Fe with 170,00 miles uses no oil.

Thanks for your input. My initial impression was that it was on far side of excessive, but the owner considered it normal.

We took a pass.

As mentioned, this is a student car for a very tall son (6'6"). He'll fit in most sedans without sunroofs.

He says he'd rather ride a bike than drive a VW bug or mini van, which are excellent on head/legroom
smile.gif

lol.gif

I prefer Toyota/Honda, but around this small CO town, they are a premium and the clean ones that do pop up go fast.

We missed out on a super nice older Avalon by minutes a few days ago.

We are in no hurry and will keep lines in the water.

Last edited:
Hmm well I was looking at the tl before I bought my is350 for under 5200 and it was at 99k and it did burn oil..... but I checked the service record on lexus.com and it was well maintained with the previous owners. I personally would say 1 full quart of oil in 500 miles is a lot.. but im not an expert, my lexus 3.5L burnt slightly over a quart in 5k but has dropped since then, I made a post about how mine basically from what it looks like stopped burning oil.
Check and see if an acura dealer has any other info for the TL ur looking at... maybe theres some hidden past records they can reveal to you.

Back