Need advice on a accurate, programmable thermostat

I'm looking for one that if it's set at 77, then at 78 it will turn the A/C on, and when it's 77 again turn it off.

The one I have now doesn't turn on until the temp is 2 degrees higher. Then it runs the A/C for what seems like forever.

Here's one I had at my last house and it seemed accurate. Do you guys concur getting this will solve my problems?

Your current thermostat may have an adjustable swing setting. Meaning you can adjust how close to the set temperature the system will come on. If not, the Honeywell you linked is a great stat. That model is very high quality that will last for years. LUX brand thermostats are a cheaper alternative but are also well built. This one does not have a touchscreen, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-Thermostat-selectable-universal-compatability/dp/B00F19KW0S/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1WDZPOTP9JYD3&dchild=1&keywords=lux+digital+thermostat&qid=1592493714&sprefix=Lux+dig%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-7

I thought most thermostats operated similarly and one reason is to avoid having the AC (or furnace) cycling on and off too frequently.

On the unit you linked to, I see nothing that indicates it will operate like you want (I looked at the operating manual too). If your AC "runs forever" to drop 2º, I think your AC is more to blame (too small) than the thermostat.

you would hate my window AC then it has 4 degree swing..

2degrees is pretty much industry standard.

Our Honeywell does what you want it to do, but ours is a bit older than the one you have linked. And no, it doesn't cycle all the time with this type of setting. But then again, I turn the A/C off during the day, and only turn it on at 6pm when everyone is back in the house.

Originally Posted by dinofish
I turn the A/C off during the day, and only turn it on at 6pm when everyone is back in the house.

The OP is in Texas, turning the AC off is probably not gonna happen.

That hysteresis/differential of 2 degrees is what you want. The AC should not be cycling on and off constantly. Keep in mind that a properly sized AC unit is SUPPOSED to stay on a lot. One of its main jobs is to remove humidity making it comfortable. An oversized AC unit with small differential temp will not get rid of very much humidity while adding wear to the ac unit.

Originally Posted by terry274
I turn the A/C off during the day, and only turn it on at 6pm when everyone is back in the house.

+1
11.gif

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Originally Posted by terry274

+1
11.gif

If you are not turning it off during the day, I would keep it at the two degree setting. I agree with others that continuous turning on and off is probably bad. Maybe you can try setting it at a lower temperature like 75 degrees?

I thought a Nest would help in a similar situation. "Oh it will learn" people said. That thing has no more intelligence than a post. A simple thermostat would be better, IMHO.

Originally Posted by Pablo
I thought a Nest would help in a similar situation. "Oh it will learn" people said. That thing has no more intelligence than a post. A simple thermostat would be better, IMHO.

Agreed. Our new house came with a Nest. Disabled the "auto learn" feature. Otherwise it's great. If we leave I just turn on eco or crank the temperature up or down respectively, and turn it back to where I want it when we are leaving to go back home.

I've got a Braeburn 2000NC that I put in in 2016, probably a newer version out by now. It lets you set the temperature differential at 0.5, 1, and 2 degrees. I keep it at 1.

Amazon Link

I saw part of a Dr. Phil show where someone said that the thermostat to his babies bedroom was hacked and someone remotely set it to 90 F. His baby was sweating. From what I gathered from the brief time I was watching it, he was lucky and caught it before the child was damaged or even killed.

Apparently, some of these thermostats are too smart, in that they can be connected to the internet, but may be open to being hacked. So you may NOT want to get something that connects to the internet.

There were other people on that Dr. Phil show who were talking about having their home video cameras hacked, and in some cases the hackers were bold enough to send voice messages into the house being hacked. Just another example of a level of inelegance with devices you might want to avoid.

Back