Cryotempered Rotors

Just came across these. Pretty pricey...are they worth it? I used to buy Raybestos AT's but converted to Centric Premium's many years ago. Have been very happy with the Centric's but the Frozen's look interesting. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use EBC's cast in UK with higher carbon, NOT the cast in CHINA most are, even major brands!! of course some chinese rotors could be decent.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Pretty pricey...are they worth it? Thanks.

Depends on how you define worth.

The cryogenic method gives proven repeatable results on numerous properties of materials (I spec it out frequently on gears, knives, shafts, various impact and conveyor parts and gun barrels and on some conveyor brake rotors)

It greatly enhances things like service life, wear reduction and stress reactivity. It doesn't "add" anything to the material not already present or makes it "stronger", "better" etc. as many ads misleadingly claim.

It also does NOT hide or correct any other design or manufacturing defect. ( it can actually make it worse)

All Cryogenic Treatment does is normalize and make stress/grain etc. more uniform which reduces pockets of stress and equalizes force over the mass more evenly. That adjustment going from say 93% stress relief to 97% will give a significant difference though.

Its definitely a legitimate technology with proven results ( but often distorted by misleading advertisement claims or by people who have no understanding of the technology)

These people must be proud of their stuff though because their prices are a bit high. I would recommend going to a company who does one offs like gun barrels and let them throw it into the next scheduled batch because most vendors charge by the pound. ( much cheaper)

Agreed. Cryo is really quite inexpensive. Provides measurable improvement in wear and strength characteristics. Very useful for internal engine/gear parts. Also agreed that it makes *good parts* better, a flawed, bad part is a bad part. For those that don't know, *heat treating* is really cold treating.

Unless you're talking aircraft quality materials, machining and treatment, it's all a gimmick for standard passenger vehicle use IMO.

I wish I could show you guys pics of what cryogenic temps do to carbon steel in my line of work.

I get it though. Bring a material down to cryo temps and warming it back up without disturbing it does different things.

I bathe in liquid N2 about daily..

Check what purchasers say. The guys that bought them have been pleased.

IF you peruse the half ton truck forums guys that tow at the higher end of the vehicles capacity commonly have accelerated brake wear and or pad imprinting (often called a "warped rotor" but that actually isnt the problem)problems.

These have often been a purchase of last resort and for the most part get good feedback.

UD

Except for quench and tempered steel, I see it as a gimmick. I don't see the metallurgy that supports cryotempering benefits for cast iron.

Levity.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.37.09 AM.png

I've had Frozen Power slots on my 2007 F150 for 8 years/60K. The truck is my backup vehicle that sits outside at all times and is only used when I actually need a truck. These trucks are hard on front brakes and most pads make a ton of dust so I went with Hawk pads to get the lowest dust I could. They're expensive but I've been very happy with them.

1. They don't rust like standard rotors: I don't know if it's better metals or the process, but back when I put them on coated rotors weren't a thing and I live in the rust belt. They've held up very well to corrosion compared to most in our area at within 5 years are rust jacked all over.

2. They took some abuse: I had to move cities a few years ago and don't have a brake controller. My buddy lent me his 25' trailer to move things with, which included a CAT forklift that weighs 11k. Driving sensibly helped, but I wasn't afraid to stop and I didn't notice any decline in performance during or after the move.

3. They've lasted longer than I thought: Both the pads and the rotors are still is good shape. I make sure to remove the slide pins every year or two and clean/grease everything so nothing rusts in place.

My wife's daily is a Mazda 3 and I looked hard at Frozens when I did the brakes on her's, but decided to pass just not knowing how long she will want to keep it. If you're planning on keeping the vehicle a long time and using it hard, from my experience the cost is worth the price.

Back