RGT - will it be going away soon?

I have noticed many people posting some really good clearance deals on RGT. Because clearance usually means the retailer may no longer carry a product, is it reasonable to assume its not selling very well and the chopping block is in the future? According to the VOA's my opinion is RGT is a stout oil that I would buy if the price was a tad less. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It might go away.Im of the mindset that Sopus should leave Shell to diesel trucks and be done. They should close the Pennzoil gap and get rid of Pennzoil Gold, have a Pennzoil Ultra HM and PU line and a QSUD line too.I think the RGT line was put into place to take up space on shelves and confuse the consumer and hope it pushing them towards the prettier Yellow or Green jug instead.

WM usually sells it anywhere from 22.99 - 24.99. If it were priced 18.99 - 19.99 (like most other "brand" synthetics) I dont see why it wouldent fly off the shelves.

Originally Posted by Marco620
It might go away.Im of the mindset that Sopus should leave Shell to diesel trucks and be done. They should close the Pennzoil gap and get rid of Pennzoil Gold, have a Pennzoil Ultra HM and PU line and a QSUD line too.I think the RGT line was put into place to take up space on shelves and confuse the consumer and hope it pushing them towards the prettier Yellow or Green jug instead.

Every brand has an enlarged, front label-worded synthetic blend. Tha'ts what Pennzoil Gold is.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I have noticed many people posting some really good clearance deals on RGT. Because clearance usually means the retailer may no longer carry a product, is it reasonable to assume its not selling very well and the chopping block is in the future? According to the VOA's my opinion is RGT is a stout oil that I would buy if the price was a tad less. Thoughts?

My thought is Rotella is branded / long time tradition as being big truck oil. It's hard to re-educate so many folks today, that hardly even know how to use a tool box full of basic tools.

If you like Rotella T6 Gas & Truck that much and it goes bye-bye. a virtual clone to it is Quaker State Ultimate Synthetic. There might be a slight difference in base oil..... but that's about it.

It was just a marketing ploy on the Rotella name for which truckbros are head over heels.

It turns out they don't think a gas oil works in their gas trucks.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
...is it reasonable to assume its not selling very well and the chopping block is in the future?

Oh I think it has been selling well but it is not a profitable product considering the rebates and retailer discounts that have been offered since its inception. I used five 5 quart jugs of it over the last year and think it is a good oil but also that its entire existence is based around marketing gimmicks that will not help it long term.

I ran RGT 5W20 in my crown victoria police interceptor and it didn't like it ??

Just before I sold it(regrettably) , I switched over to M1 Truck/SUV 5W20 and it ran like BUTTER !! The difference in engine vibration and performance was VERY noticeable

She ran SUPER SMOOTH with the M1 TRK/SUV

Also running RGT 5W30 in my Silverado HD 6.0 but switching over to M1 10W30 when next OCI hits in July

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Just before I sold it(regrettably) , I switched over to M1 Truck/SUV 5W20 and it ran like BUTTER !! The difference in engine vibration and performance was VERY noticeable

Also running RGT 5W30 in my Silverado HD 6.0 but switching over to M1 10W30 when next OCI hits in July

Dave

You forgot to post the little dude under the chair ...¯

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Dave

27.gif
27.gif
27.gif

Not sure how much market overlap there is between HDEO and PCEO? Sure, lotsa BITOGers know the diff, but I mean the general public. Diesel pickups are more of a niche market than ever (high price for low emissions, etc.), so I suspect the average pickup owner only knows gas engine oils. Rotella doesn't mean anything to them.

I didn't know what it was either until I bought a diesel during the pre-emissions era. I agree with Marco620 SOPUS is oversaturating the oil market with too many recipes and names.

Originally Posted by 4WD

I took the Little Dude this evening. He's under our spare bed and checking for a waterbed leak.

I bought some on clearance and have it in both the 4 runner and Tacoma. No complaints.
Clearance with rebates that basically pay me to run the oil, that's a marketing gimmick I fall for everytime.

Is it going away? Really no way to tell. I also fall for good packaging ideas (havoline 6 qt boxes) and Walmart rollbacks of Mobil 1. Great marketing.

Hello-

Shell Rotella Gas Truck is here to stay! Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions and is formulated with advanced additive technology for tough protection and excellent viscosity control under the most grueling temperatures, so drivers can do more in extreme environments with confidence.

The price of Shell Rotella Gas Truck is set by third-party retailers and installers. To buy online or find at a store near you, visit Rotella.com.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Do you think it's better than Pennzoil Platinum ?

It's matched-up against - some might say with Quaker State Durability. Specs are almost identical, according to archived posts here.

Originally Posted by ChrisGuerrero
Hello-

Shell Rotella Gas Truck is here to stay! Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions and is formulated with advanced additive technology for tough protection and excellent viscosity control under the most grueling temperatures, so drivers can do more in extreme environments with confidence.

The price of Shell Rotella Gas Truck is set by third-party retailers and installers. To buy online or find at a store near you, visit Rotella.com.

Ya but who is gonna still carry it ?? Most of all your vendors have it on clearance ?? Autozone/Advance Auto Parts, Walmart

Dave

Back