QSUD Problems?

Many here like Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I have used it myself. However, it's hard to have confidence in QSUD after reading statements such as the following:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My GM-magnetic oil pan bolt was loaded with metal shavings after using the QSUD 5W-20 in a 4.3 engine calling for 5w-30. Only time this ever occurred using three different 5W-20 synthetics I inherited from a elderly neighbor that can't drive anymore. Needless to say, I won't buy QSUD again.
Then, regarding a UOA:
Originally Posted by Turk
People tout QSUD here and I never understood why. More proof.
Do QSUD haters outnumber QSUD lovers here? Should I avoid QSUD, use it with reservation, or use it with confidence?

The answer of course is that when using a properly rated oil for the application a UOA is about the engine and not about the oil.

If a magnetic drain plug was "loaded with metal shavings" due to one brand, then that's a problem with the engine not the oil despite the grade difference (assuming the incident even happened in the first place). The user you quote was banned for a period of time due to similar silly statements.

Is this thread only intended to spark controversy on the board? That's my guess.

Last edited:
Everyone has their experience, opinions and leanings. In my case, i've seen nothing but stellar UOA and heard vastly more positives than otherwise.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The answer of course is that when using a properly rated oil for the application a UOA is about the engine and not about the oil.

If a magnetic drain plug was "loaded with metal shavings" due to one brand, then that's a problem with the engine not the oil (despite the grade difference). The user you quote was banned for a period of time due to such silly statements.

Is this thread only intended to spark controversy on the board? That's my guess.

X2.

If no oil deals are going on it would be in my top three at its normal price of under twenty dollars at Walmart. The other ones being ST syn and Magnatec depending on my mood that morning.

Just got back from towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer on a 300 mile round trip. The tow vehicle is a 2018 (5.3) Silverado running 0/20w QSUD. The trip included going up a 7,000 foot pass (common in Utah) and the motor didn't blow up............

Last edited:
QSUD is a great oil for a Grp 3. After Redline,its M1 or Sopus in a tie. Only rocking M1 because of the 0w30. Out of all the budget oils, QSUD is #1 .

No, I bought a small quantity of QSUD for OPE when it was on sale (store rebate). I'm reading about it before I decide whether to purchase it for a vehicle next time it's cheap. I've seen it for $2 per quart after store rebate.

Do you really think that an API licensed oil is going to cause engine damage? That's the question you have to ask yourself, viscous.

Well do you?
Not damage, per se, but different oils yield different UOAs, some with high wear metals, etc.

Originally Posted by viscous
Many here like Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I have used it myself. However, it's hard to have confidence in QSUD after reading statements such as the following:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My GM-magnetic oil pan bolt was loaded with metal shavings after using the QSUD 5W-20 in a 4.3 engine calling for 5w-30. Only time this ever occurred using three different 5W-20 synthetics I inherited from a elderly neighbor that can't drive anymore. Needless to say, I won't buy QSUD again.
Then, regarding a UOA:
Originally Posted by Turk
People tout QSUD here and I never understood why. More proof.
Do QSUD haters outnumber QSUD lovers here? Should I avoid QSUD, use it with reservation, or use it with confidence?

That instance I cited in quote above was probably 12-13 years ago.
How many formula changes has there been since?...... probably a handful.

I have regained confidence in the brand again.

Here's what I think ðŸ‘

3E16A374-2691-4F47-8AC3-C0A660059C43.jpeg

Originally Posted by viscous
Do you really think that an API licensed oil is going to cause engine damage? That's the question you have to ask yourself, viscous.

Well do you?
Not damage, per se, but different oils yield different UOAs, some with high wear metals, etc.

I haven't found that to be true my Corolla using several diffent oils the wear metal were identical. Yes and QSUD was one of them in fact the TBN's were so close it wasn't funny. I'd use QSUD again in a heart beat.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The OP is correct. That darned Quaker State stuff must be overloaded with paraffin.

Wow. What's it like being stuck in 1971?

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The OP is correct. That darned Quaker State stuff must be overloaded with paraffin.
Wow. What's it like being stuck in 1971?

I'm pretty certain that comment is in keeping with the general theme of this entire thread (humor).

Back