Toyota Transmission pan bolts

I read that Toyota Trans bolts (6 Speed A750F Tundra/Lexus Sedans/etc) can break the pan bolts by just removing them. They are M6 bolts. Some of the bolts seem exposed to the elements, and some break in blind holes.

I bought a filter and now worried to install it. Lexus said it is very rare, but not impossible.

I wonder how common this is or it is just a few isolated cases.

I don't know of any trans pan bolts that are not exposed to the elements. Clean the bolt heads good, squirt some penetrating oil on them and remember.......Lefty Loosey-------Righty Tighty. Just snug them back up and check them after a week or so. You should be good to go.

No problem with the A750E on my Tacoma.

Had to replace pan when I stripped the drain bolt hole, even when using a torque wrench.

Albany New York vs Apple Valley, California. Hmmm, slight difference in corrosion conditions. I would spray the bolts with liquid wrench or your favourite penetrating oil the day before. Make sure the heads are clean. I use a 3/8 " ratchet, not a 1/4 inch ratchet. Not sure about a Toyota but on a Ford it makes a sudden snap noise as it releases. Totally remove the first one to make sure it didn't break. Carry on. For make up torque make sure you know the specified torque. It will be in inch-lbs or n-m, not foot lbs. Make sure you have a small torque wrench in inch-lbs. If the bolts have crud on them, run them through a die. As mentioned, lefty loosey. It's not the end of the world if a few break. Pick up an easy-out kit. Good luck.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ford46guy
I read that Toyota Trans bolts (6 Speed A750F Tundra/Lexus Sedans/etc) can break the pan bolts by just removing them. They are M6 bolts. Some of the bolts seem exposed to the elements, and some break in blind holes.

I bought a filter and now worried to install it. Lexus said it is very rare, but not impossible.

I wonder how common this is or it is just a few isolated cases.

Bolt breakage occurs with any brand automobile, especially the bolts which have holes open in the case opposite the bolt heads. For stuck bolts, I place the socket on the bolt head and strike the socket with a hammer. If the bolt threads are open on the other end as I mentioned, squirt some PB Blaster in the case hole and allow to soak.

They were on super duper tight on my Lexus and amazingly they they didn't break. The proper way is to heat them first to soften the Loctite.

I haven't had any issues even with 15 year old Toyota/Lexus ATF pan bolts here in the salt belt of Western New York State along the 2 Great Lakes(Erie/Ontario).

I never in all the years here in the salt mine had one snap . I wouldn't worry about it. Just start with a couple of the easy to get at straight Comfortably first. If they are fighting or coming off with a big pop they might have locktite on them. Heat with a propane torch for +- 10 seconds and they should come out easily. The hardest part is keeping the mess to a minimum...
As got the bolts themselves rotting away.🙄. By that time your truck will already be Forks and spoons long ago. They all use a pretty crappy grade of bolt in all but a few critical places, ( all manufacturers) I call them. "Candy cane". They are still good enough though. I've never seen a pan bolt round the head off But plenty of other under the car Bolts sure do. The best solution I've found Is using only 6 point sockets to break things loose.
I'm a big drill driver fan myself using a M12 Milwaukee for most bolts if I can get at them. Use carefully if at all, better yet don't for things like tranny pan and plastic shield bolts. Their snappiness can wreck things or overtighten and snap those candy cane bolts off before you even notice.
That old tranny oil mixed with Acetone 50/50 makes the best penetrating oil I've ever used And it's almost free I've never needed it on tranny pan bolts though........

Last edited:
I think the Tundra 6 SP is the one with the real issues, not the A750. The tundra pan has spacers with metal sleeves that corrode to the bolt and break off. I've never had one apart, but I've heard from friends in salt climates that it's an all day affair to get a tundra pan off.

Last edited:
FlyNavyP3 said:
I think the Tundra 6 SP is the one with the real issues, not the A750. The tundra pan has spacers with metal sleeves that corrode to the bolt and break off. I've never had one apart, but I've heard from friends in salt climates that it's an all day affair to get a tundra pan off.

Yeah, the replacement gasket I got is all cork rubber.
Seems the parts interchange with the Tundra.

Newer models have a wire mesh screen filter, older have felt.

Also these are A760H transmissions. This family was used in the Tundra after 2010, so they don't have that gasket with the washers.
There is an E/F/H E is RWD and is used in Toyota Trucks AND RWD Lexus Sedans. F is 4x4 with a transfercase (for trucks), H is Toyota i-Four AWD (30/70 -50/50 planetary T/C with auto lockup) for Lexus Cars (maybe some Toyota SUVS)

My filter and gasket interchanges with newer Toyota Trucks.

I did it last night. The bolt ends are exposed to the elements on the sides of the trans. Problem was they were rusted to the pan flange. I was scared to twist too much with a ratchet so I let the Bosch impact run at 1/4 power for a 30 sec. Sprayed with atf/acetone and they broke free. Some bolts were a bit over finger tight, which is the torque spec and came right out. Probably a good idea to replace the screws, they may be coated, maybe the next oil change. The drain plug and overfilll were quite corroded, but the powercoated pan looked new. I had new washers for the drain.

In the worst case I figured you could use a nut to hold a broken bolt or two, until you can helicoil.

I did read horror stories on the web but it seems some of those trans (like others said) have a gasket with metal spacers. That would certainly break bolts with blind holes. I guess they moved away from that. I guess the idea with that gasket is not to overtighten which creates another problem.
I paid $62 wholesale price for the gasket and filter. I don't even want to think what the dealer would charge :lol:. I know they quoted me 600 out the door with tax to do both diffs when I had a recall. They said its due for service.

Last edited:
How'd the insides look? Any debris? We have a new to us GS 350 with 72k miles on it. Considering how solid our 5spd AT tundra was, I was just going to drain/fill with amsoil a couple of times and call it done. With the tundra I installed a an external spin-on and the fluid remained cherry red, with tow duty for the rest of its time with us. We've got good luck with our Aisin transmissions.

M

Originally Posted by meep
How'd the insides look? Any debris? We have a new to us GS 350 with 72k miles on it. Considering how solid our 5spd AT tundra was, I was just going to drain/fill with amsoil a couple of times and call it done. With the tundra I installed a an external spin-on and the fluid remained cherry red, with tow duty for the rest of its time with us. We've got good luck with our Aisin transmissions.

M

229K now on the A750E in my 07 Tacoma. Still rock-solid also. Fluid swap @ 100K & 200K. Will do it again @ 300K.

Originally Posted by meep

M

Looked very, very clean. I think it shifts a bit smoother.

Back