Ford Mustang Rental

Splurged a bit while we're spending a week in Miami. Not sure if it's a 19 or 20 but does have the Ecoboost with the auto. Has 7200 miles and I think we've put about 200 so far. Granted haven't driven a 5.0L but I can see owning one and have no problems with a 4 cylinder.

Not a expert reviewer but here's my thoughts.. Whoever designed where the emergency blinker switch is needs to be fired immediately. That's a major irritation since it's right above where I set my phone. The transmission does hunt and lug a bit in the 30-45 range. Handling characteristics feel strange but maybe that's because it's convertible. The piped engine noise can be odd.

The pros.. I have tested on it a bit and it will put you back in the seat. Haven't tried any other modes but normal and sport. Better not give the details on the testing.. but my boys sure did love it. Gas mileage is in the mid 20s right now, drove through the Everglades and brought it up. Electric steering feels perfect and the exhaust note when the top is down has a good growl to it.

Probably missed a few things. Good thing I didn't have one of these 4 cylinders when I was younger could of been in trouble lol

92C76569-0AE6-4B54-AF94-628A34A8A9FF.jpeg

If you think that's impressive, try the 5.0 V8.

It'll have you rethinking your priorities in life.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Better not then I have too many priorities right now. Manopause hits in another 10-15 years and then the kids will be out of the house so maybe then
lol.gif

I've got a question; in normal mode does the trans skip gears, as in 1-3-5 etc? My 3.5 truck does that but has enough torque to cover the gap. Don't know if the 4 cylinder does. Would be nice if it used all 10 gears in normal mode....

The old fox body SVO Mustangs in my opinion are soooo underrated. I think they tried to compete in a sports car market instead of american muscle car and it didn't take. The SVO was very well balanced, handled amazingly, and if I remember right used a 16" wheel compared to the V8s 15. Pretty neat that they thought that much into handling back in that day. I think I am one of the few SVO fans LOL.. Ford has always done well with the Mustang, they have been able to keep it relevant throughout its lifespan. The new ones are pretty nice!

X 100 !!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

When we were in Hawaii 2 years ago these were EVERYWHERE. If I heard a turbo spooling up 9 out of 10 times it was a Ford 2.3.

I had a Mustang GT convertible last year when I was in Florida. Loved the car, it was a perfect cruiser. My only complaint was the 10 speed automatic was very clunky at low speeds. The 1-3 shift (it skipped 2nd during normal acceleration) was sometimes very hard, like jolt you in your seat hard. It appears to be a common complaint on F150 and Mustang boards. It also allowed a lot of torque converter slip when driving on the highway. Instead of downshifting from 10th gear at highway speeds it allows the TCC to slip a little to raise the rpms instead of downshifting. It shifted smooth as butter when driving spiritedly. Perhaps the smoothest automatic I've ever driven when driving hard. I suppose Ford designed it to take the abuse. Thanks for the review!

I've test driven the V8 with a manual transmission. Very powerful. It felt like I should keep my foot on the brake instead of the accelerator.

I rented one of these about 2 years ago down in Phoenix, looked just like yours. I didn't hate the 2.3, but the tuning left a lot to be desired. Still fun for a weekend!

Interesting didn't know the trans was 1-3 skipping gears. Same behaviors with this one and I agree its one of the smoothest transmissions under accel I've driven. Usually there's a bit of a snap on a shift but not with this one.

A tune in this car would be interesting. Might wake it up but could reduce some features that make it a everyday driver.

One thing to consider is for some reason both the 2.3 and 5.0 do better and are less "jumpy" with premium gas. I don't know why, but around here I can get E-15 that's 89 octane and that works well. Run at least 89 octane and then see how it does.

Originally Posted by ecotourist

I've test driven the V8 with a manual transmission. Very powerful. It felt like I should keep my foot on the brake instead of the accelerator.

The last V8 Mustang I've driven was a standard 12 GT. And that's exactly how it felt,if it was going to get away from you!! And so smooth!!

with a turbo tuning is key + with a slush box tranny the EPA tunes are more under control. although i like tuned VAG volkswagen auto group cars a less complex V-8 + a manual is a drivers car IMO + when offered is the ONLY combination i would buy!!

My 13 convertible GT500 will be my last mustang. It is the only vehicle I've ever owned which I have left bone stock. Amazing piece of engineering that Ford can make that thing drivable by my Wife at the power level it has.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Splurged a bit while we're spending a week in Miami. Not sure if it's a 19 or 20 but does have the Ecoboost with the auto. Has 7200 miles and I think we've put about 200 so far. Granted haven't driven a 5.0L but I can see owning one and have no problems with a 4 cylinder.

Not a expert reviewer but here's my thoughts.. Whoever designed where the emergency blinker switch is needs to be fired immediately. That's a major irritation since it's right above where I set my phone. The transmission does hunt and lug a bit in the 30-45 range. Handling characteristics feel strange but maybe that's because it's convertible. The piped engine noise can be odd.

The pros.. I have tested on it a bit and it will put you back in the seat. Haven't tried any other modes but normal and sport. Better not give the details on the testing.. but my boys sure did love it. Gas mileage is in the mid 20s right now, drove through the Everglades and brought it up. Electric steering feels perfect and the exhaust note when the top is down has a good growl to it.

Probably missed a few things. Good thing I didn't have one of these 4 cylinders when I was younger could of been in trouble lol

Originally Posted by Eric Smith

I agree with your assessment. I rented one in Utah to drive home in Denver and hit snow in Vail. I put it in rain/snow mode and drove it home 70 miles in minimum 4" snow. 35 mph max little slide. Impressive for summer tires. I passed a camaro that had a hard time maintaining 10 mph.

Last edited:
Back