... and Joe Public just keeps on using Android and Google ...

I hate Google, especially their daily spam calls [which I block] regarding my business. LOL
27.gif

None of these companies are doing this for free. It is all to sell you advertising or influence your opinions so their owners get what they want. ALL OF IT. Even here, but to a lesser degree than many sites.

This site has influenced my opinions, so it has been successful. I now use Fram filters again, and mostly Walmart oils.

Rod

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I hate Google, especially their daily spam calls [which I block] regarding my business. LOL
27.gif

3 times a day from these scammers pretending to be google.

I remember on this very forum a few years back, how folks would defend google, saying that their approach was to do no harm.

Never bought into the google love personally. Of course everything and anything is watching in reality. Scary stuff. And it goes beyond selling ads to influencing other narratives.

Big Brother is Watching You.

Reading the article, it seems to be initiated by a company in Isreal.

"This shows how attackers can use extremely simple methods to hide, in this case, thousands of malicious domains," Golomb said.

All of the domains in question, more than 15,000 linked to each other in total, were purchased from a small registrar in Israel, Galcomm, known formally as CommuniGal Communication Ltd.

Awake said Galcomm should have known what was happening.

In an email exchange, Galcomm owner Moshe Fogel told Reuters that his company had done nothing wrong.

"Galcomm is not involved, and not in complicity with any malicious activity whatsoever," Fogel wrote. "You can say exactly the opposite, we cooperate with law enforcement and security bodies to prevent as much as we can."

Fogel said there was no record of the inquiries Golomb said he made in April and again in May to the company's email address for reporting abusive behavior, and he asked for a list of suspect domains. Reuters sent him that list three times without getting a substantive response.

The Internet Corp for Assigned Names and Numbers, which oversees registrars, said it had received few complaints about Galcomm over the years, and none about malware.

While deceptive extensions have been a problem for years, they are getting worse. They initially spewed unwanted advertisements, and now are more likely to install additional malicious programs or track where users are and what they are doing for government or commercial spies.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
for free stuff ... ha!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/spying-google-chrome-security

So this story is about malicious 3rd-party EXTENSIONS to Chrome, not Google spying on anyone. In fact, it seems Google removed and disclosed the privacy violating extensions.

Nice clickbait. The story was, after all, "free". You were simply subject to some trackers and advertisements.

Companies make their terms of service public and people enter into the use of those services of their own free will. It's a free market. You can, for example, elect of your own free will to use closed-source software like that from Apple and just, I don't know, **believe** that THESE folks are honest while the OTHER folks aren't. Google's entire business model is built on USING YOUR DATA to sell to others; yet you seem to think you've uncovered some grand conspiracy, alarmguy. *****It is their business model, man******. Same with Facebook and every. other. free. service. on. the. internet.

You want a REAL conspiracy?! I am told that Walmart sells items for MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS. They're ripping us off! And yet sheeple keep walking in there like mindless zombies. Wake up, people!

I have a strange thought that most people do not care and will only care if the media tells then to care.

You want a REAL conspiracy?! I am told that Walmart sells items for MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS. They're ripping us off! And yet sheeple keep walking in there like mindless zombies. Wake up, people![/quote]
I find that hard to believe.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
So this story is about malicious 3rd-party EXTENSIONS to Chrome, not Google spying on anyone. In fact, it seems Google removed and disclosed the privacy violating extensions.

Nice clickbait. The story was, after all, "free". You were simply subject to some trackers and advertisements.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Doesn't appear to impact mobile phones just desktop.

Doesn't affect anyone that uses Google Chrome as long as they didn't download/install the malicious extensions. To be clear, stock Google Chrome is not affected. As mentioned above, this article is typical clickbait and misleading hype.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
for free stuff ... ha!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/spying-google-chrome-security

Companies make their terms of service public and people enter into the use of those services of their own free will. It's a free market. You can, for example, elect of your own free will to use closed-source software like that from Apple and just, I don't know, **believe** that THESE folks are honest while the OTHER folks aren't. Google's entire business model is built on USING YOUR DATA to sell to others; yet you seem to think you've uncovered some grand conspiracy, alarmguy. *****It is their business model, man******. Same with Facebook and every. other. free. service. on. the. internet.

You want a REAL conspiracy?! I am told that Walmart sells items for MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS. They're ripping us off! And yet sheeple keep walking in there like mindless zombies. Wake up, people!

LOL

Originally Posted by CT8
I have a strange thought that most people do not care and will only care if the media tells then to care.

After Snowden we all know the non-existence of privacy. But we like the convenience of using digital communications. Most of us think we have nothing to worry about as long as we are obedient.

If anyone is half-serious about their "privacy", they better be going to extreme lengths while browsing the web, including this site, such as using VPNs, your browser's "private mode", and so on. Also, don't use self-scanners at retail store. Don't use "rewards" cards at the grocery, gas stations, pharmacy, etc either.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Doesn't appear to impact mobile phones just desktop.

Correct, because mobile version of Chrome does not allow for installing extensions.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
27.gif

That's not Google calling.

Your snark is way too subtle but much appreciated nonetheless.

Back