Idemitsu Zepro Dex1 0w20, 5500 miles, 2015 Mazda3

First UOA on the Mazda. I don't know if I should be worried about this copper, or just keep an eye out as Blackstone recommends. Everything else looks ok though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Looking like a decent amount of fuel dilution, probably higher than what Blackstone says. Your viscosity is towards the low end of w20 and flashpoint low. What is your percentage of city vs highway driving? Do you short trip a lot? This is precisley why I'd rather use a w30. I ran my miata hard for a good hour drive, came home and wanted to check the oil. I waited about 15 minutes for things to cool and when I pulled the dipstick all I smelled was gas.

Originally Posted by haggler
Looking like a decent amount of fuel dilution, probably higher than what Blackstone says. Your viscosity is towards the low end of w20 and flashpoint low. What is your percentage of city vs highway driving? Do you short trip a lot? This is precisley why I'd rather use a w30. I ran my miata hard for a good hour drive, came home and wanted to check the oil. I waited about 15 minutes for things to cool and when I pulled the dipstick all I smelled was gas.

I do mostly short trips and I live in a really cold area. The flashpoint is below where it should be, but the viscosity still looks ok (especially given as this is a VERY light oil) so I'm not super worried.

There's nothing to see here, imo. 3 ppm above "average" is next to nothing. The viscosity did shear down a bit, but at this point I don't see any reason indicating that you have to make changes. I do agree that you have some fuel dilution happening. If it were my car in that climate and I were outside of warranty, I'd pick a good 0W-30 and go with that. However, I don't think you need to do anything different here. I'd run another 5k-ish mile OCI and resample if you want verification that the copper truly was nothing or confirmation that your engine is continuing to dilute the oil.

Looks good. Skyactiv engines show low wear most of the time. Quite similar to Toyota.

Originally Posted by JustN89
There's nothing to see here, imo. 3 ppm above "average" is next to nothing. The viscosity did shear down a bit, but at this point I don't see any reason indicating that you have to make changes. I do agree that you have some fuel dilution happening. If it were my car in that climate and I were outside of warranty, I'd pick a good 0W-30 and go with that. However, I don't think you need to do anything different here. I'd run another 5k-ish mile OCI and resample if you want verification that the copper truly was nothing or confirmation that your engine is continuing to dilute the oil.

I might try that next. I will resample this too to see if the copper is just an anomaly, because everything else looks pretty good.

The fuel is there, but keep in mind too that this is a VERY thin oil. Virgin KV @100 is only 7.9. So the fact that it didn't shear out of the acceptable range for a 0w20 is actually pretty remarkable.

Forgot to mention, as well, that this was a Wix 57002 filter. Some people seem to think they're not good, but I think these results show they work fine.

Replaced with a OEM Thai Mazda filter (probably Denso made) because it was actually cheaper than the Wix this time around.

My 2014 Mazda 3 had a random Copper spike up to 14ppm during break-in @ 8k miles on the engine. Then it washed out and has been zero since then. Not sure where your copper is coming from at 45k miles. Strange but it's definitely not high enough to worry just yet.

Just resample the next oil to double check to see what's going on.

I think the oil did fine, considering this Di engine and your usage. Keep on keeping on.

If I was going to switch over, I'd do a 0w30. Amalie and Pennzoil make fairly cheap varieties. I think the Amalie carries some euro specs, too, so it's probably good stuff. Pennzoil's 0w30 is the "max power" version, which is probably VERY similar to PP, If I had to guess. Maybe more moly?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Where do you buy the Zepro oil?

Amazon.

There are two varieties.

Zepro Advanced Moly has even more moly than this oil, at around 700 ppm or so, but it also tends to be more expensive and has a worse NOACK rating at 14. It's neither SN+ nor Dex1 rated, it still has an older high calcium add pack.

This oil, Zepro (or to be totally correct: Idemitsu Zepro Ecomedalist) Dexos 1 has the more modern Dexos 1 gen 2 add pack, and less moly, but still much more than most oils. It's also got a lower NOACK at 11.

Neither of these are to be confused with Idemitsu's normal oils, which are not labelled as Zepro nor Ecomedalist.

It's confusing, I know.

Originally Posted by JustN89

I might try that next. I will resample this too to see if the copper is just an anomaly, because everything else looks pretty good.

The fuel is there, but keep in mind too that this is a VERY thin oil. Virgin KV @100 is only 7.9. So the fact that it didn't shear out of the acceptable range for a 0w20 is actually pretty remarkable.

Alright I'm confused. I thought 7.9 cSt would make it a 0W-16 and 6.1 cSt was minimum for 16 Grade.

This chart is from the PQIA site.

SAE Viscosity Chart (High Temp)
100° C (210° F)
SAE ViscosityKinematic (cSt)Kinematic (cSt)
100° C Min100° C Max
84.0TD]
125.0TD]
166.1TD]
206.9TD]
309.3TD]
4012.5TD]
5016.3TD]
6021.9TD]
Source: Engine Oil Viscosity Classification, J300 Jan2015, SAE. The full publication is available from SAE at www.sae.org.
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

Overlapping Viscosity Ranges at 100C
Grade is defined by HTHS.

Minimum HTHS:
8 = 1.7
12 = 2.0
16 = 2.3
20 = 2.6

The oil in question has fell to at least a 16 grade. Without fuel dilution I would estimate a minimum HTHS of 2.3. Given that flashpoint I suspect the fuel dilution is higher than the report states so it may have very well fell to a 12 Grade range.

Last edited:
Back