Thinking about crushing a 95 Corolla

Bought new in 95, so it is about 25 years and 270k miles now in the family. 26mpg 100hp, 1.6L 3 speed automatic.

Paint burnt through, roof started to rust, windshield cracked, 2-3 mom accidents, 1 door different color, frame a little bent, manual window and lock, AC is getting weak, nearly new tires, the rest is regular wear and tear but engine and transmission are still running well, passes smog. Super slow and loud, not a comfortable long distance car, parents were worried about reliability so they bought a 12 Mazda 2 to replace it ($7200, 66k miles), because this seems to be the easiest to drive. So the Corolla is going to be

1) Crushed for $1k, that's what the local air quality district will pay for OBD1 car
2) Private sale, unlikely to reach 1k because of the cosmetic condition and the AC, despite mechanically sound. It is likely to be a $500 sale instead.
3) My 4th car, but I already have a 3rd car which is a 97 Integra. I won't be driving much and I certainly can't drive 3 cars at a time, even less so during corona virus lock down. Insurance will cost $350 a year and about $150 a year on registration, so it doesn't make sense. Parking is not a problem.

I think the choice is pretty obvious here, don't you think? Will post pic in a few days for the BITOG funeral. It will go back to the pick n pull in Fremont California, the same city where it was assembled.

Last edited:
Sounds like a no brainer to me unless you have a big heart and want to give it to someone in need.
Around my neck of the woods, we'd be lucky to get a couple hundred buck for an even newer vehicle at a boneyard/crusher.

Last edited:
Wow I'd take the 1k. I junked a 2001 Altima that didn't sound half as bad and the only people willing to take it took it for ~300.

If I were getting 300 for it though I'd just keep it. Maybe rattle can the whole body and drive it until it died.

OBDI cars are popular on the tuner scene. Corolla's are a Hispanic favorite. Maybe translate an add and get a little more?
My wife is PR and I find that they seem to look past cosmetic issues as they are really good at body work and bling. At least in the Boston 'burbs anyway.
Corollas and Civics are the two most popular rides here.

Reactions: JC1
If there's no one in the family to pass it down to, I'd take the $1k. Seems odd to crush a running car, but it sounds like a relic from a different time. Banged up and slow without actually getting good mpg's--time has passed this one by. Perfect for abuse on a college campus or as a pizza delivery, but not really good for anything else.

Actually, that's a pretty good deal and makes sense. You get your thousand dollars without talking with some greaseball trying to wave $200 of cash under your nose. Also pretty good for California as they probably get most of the $1000 from the recyclers. Plus, it's unlikely the Corolla will be the next 55 Chevy.

Last edited:
The other day I was watching the Toyota Maintenance channel on YouTube. One of these came in overheating because of a broken belt and maybe a few other things. I think it was a 93 and the outside looked terrible but hardly any rust. After the repairs it was running like a Swiss watch according to the mechanic. Had 2226k iirc and is in CA somewhere. The guy on that channel loves old Toyota's.

$1000 for scrap is a good deal
smile.gif

I'd try posting it for sale for $1,000. Might be someone needy out there with only $1,000 that just needs something to get them to work.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd try posting it for sale for $1,000. Might be someone needy out there with only $1,000 that just needs something to get them to work.

It would sell the 1st day in Silicon Valley.
Lotta people need run arounds, and Toyotas have the name.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The other day I was watching the Toyota Maintenance channel on YouTube. One of these came in overheating because of a broken belt and maybe a few other things. I think it was a 93 and the outside looked terrible but hardly any rust. After the repairs it was running like a Swiss watch according to the mechanic. Had 2226k iirc and is in CA somewhere. The guy on that channel loves old Toyota's.

Contact the guy above on youtube and see if he wants to buy it. He likes fixing up old Toyota's. The worst thing he could say is no.

You have to have a failed smog test and then apply for the program. They don't just give 1000 for any old car. They also run out of the allotted money for the program every year. Then you have to wait until the next year and apply again.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

This sounds like a good plan to me. Offer it for sale for $1,000 pointing out that it currently runs fine and could be crushed at some point for $1,000.

A buyer in need could drive it for as long as that makes sense (a few days, weeks, years) then have it crushed and have paid nothing.

I'd hate to see the vehicle recycled. Many a person could use a running vehicle. Not sure how California can offer you a grand to dispose of a vehicle.

Back