MotorGuard M100 oil filter change

I've posted the install on this M100 on my 2000 Ford Excursion a couple of years ago and thought I would do a follow up on this system. I've got 28,000 miles on the M100 now and have settled into changing the filter every three months, about 3500 miles. I'm not changing the oil, just changing the roll and topping up the oil by 1.25 liters and the full flow get changed every 15,000 miles. The V10 is running excellent, no blowby, no leaks and burns around a liter every 6000-8000 miles. Most of the miles are mixed town and highway with some towing as well. I'm running non synthetic oil in it and usually buy what's on sale. Compared to my 6.4 Powerstroke this engine has been a dream and not one issue since I put it back on the road.

IMG_7927.JPG

IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
What is the best toilet paper for filtering?

Generally...... Scott single-ply

Originally Posted by A310
I've posted the install on this M100 on my 2000 Ford Excursion a couple of years ago and thought I would do a follow up on this system. I've got 28,000 miles on the M100 now and have settled into changing the filter every three months, about 3500 miles. I'm not changing the oil, just changing the roll and topping up the oil by 1.25 liters and the full flow get changed every 15,000 miles. The V10 is running excellent, no blowby, no leaks and burns around a liter every 6000-8000 miles. Most of the miles are mixed town and highway with some towing as well. I'm running non synthetic oil in it and usually buy what's on sale. Compared to my 6.4 Powerstroke this engine has been a dream and not one issue since I put it back on the road.

Thank You for info and the post. I always learn something from you
smile.gif

08.gif
10.gif

A 6 month update on the MotorGuard M100. I've only put 3000 miles on the truck since last update, but thought I would post a filter change nonetheless. Still no oil changes, put the new roll in and added the 1.25 ltrs and we're good for another 6 months.:)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A310

Are you still running 5w-30 in that engine? Just checking because I'm about out of my stash of 5w-20 (owners manual recommendation - 2008 V10) and I'm wondering if a switch to 5w-30 would be beneficial in any way.

xtell

One thought. If the filter is removing wear metals that are normally counted in a UOA, how do you know the actual wear numbers? For instance, what if you were actually getting worse wear, but didn't realize it because the metals were being filtered out?

Also, where on earth do you find toilet paper that fits? I have some MG filters laying around and I only found some RV paper that barely fits. Scott is recommended all the time, but it isn't a long enough roll.

One thought. If the filter is removing wear metals that are normally counted in a UOA, how do you know the actual wear numbers? For instance, what if you were actually getting worse wear, but didn't realize it because the metals were being filtered out?

Also, where on earth do you find toilet paper that fits? I have some MG filters laying around and I only found some RV paper that barely fits. Scott is recommended all the time, but it isn't a long enough roll.

As far as wear numbers are concerned, the filter may change the actual numbers, but to what extent I don't know. I'm using Kirkland brand toilet paper and that fits perfect. I did make an insert to fit the larger center core and that works for most of the new rolls.

It would be fun to see lets say 5,000 miles p/c then install the TP filter add enough top off oil oil then run anther 5,000 miles on the same oil and do another P/C.

View attachment 19191

View attachment 19192

View attachment 19193

View attachment 19194

View attachment 19195
Hi 310, are you using the whole roll of Kirkland? I did a experimental test fit with a roll at a little over 4 1/4 diameter, it seemed to work and didn't pinch the gasket, I used some heat resistant shrink tube on the filters 1.5" core. The Kirkland roll I used was the old 425 sheet, have you used the newer 380 sheet rolls? Are the new rolls a bit firmer?

Last edited:
Hi 310, are you using the whole roll of Kirkland? I did a experimental test fit with a roll at a little over 4 1/4 diameter, it seemed to work and didn't pinch the gasket, I used some heat resistant shrink tube on the filters 1.5" core. The Kirkland roll I used was the old 425 sheet, have you used the newer 380 sheet rolls? Are the new rolls a bit firmer?
I normally take a few fraps off and it's about 4 1/4" as well. I also used heat shrink tube as well, but over time it came off so I made some aluminum sleeves and they work well. To stop the rolls from pinching I wrap the middle of the roll with packing tape. I never noticed the change in the roll from 425 to 380, so very similar. I haven't been driving this vehicle now for several years, so don't use this filter. I do however run the M100 on my daily transmission and change the roll every 10,000 miles and a Frantz every 3000 miles for the engine.

Here's a video I posted for the M100 on my transmission.

I normally take a few fraps off and it's about 4 1/4" as well. I also used heat shrink tube as well, but over time it came off so I made some aluminum sleeves and they work well. To stop the rolls from pinching I wrap the middle of the roll with packing tape. I never noticed the change in the roll from 425 to 380, so very similar. I haven't been driving this vehicle now for several years, so don't use this filter. I do however run the M100 on my daily transmission and change the roll every 10,000 miles and a Frantz every 3000 miles for the engine.
I read the Costco reviews on the 380 sheet, not many like the change, poor reviews, a few said the paper doesn't absorb water and resists degrading, plugs the sewer lines and you have to call the plumber, lol, but maybe it would make a good filter media then! I bought 50mm 2:1 high heat shrink tube online, it doesn't have the adhesive that you used.

Here's a video I posted for the M100 on my transmission.

Good video, now I see how you fit those oversize rolls, I don't think you will see anything on your magnet being its on the return side, but it must be an experiment to see if it is possible for anything to pass through four and a half inches of Costco's finest oil bypass media. :)

Back