Post your latest parts purchase

I ordered a 100% New Duralast Gold CV axle for a 2016 3500 HD Duramax from Autozone online and had it shipped to home. I used an online coupon for 15% off of $75 or more, plus cashed in a $20 reward. Had it at my door for $95.32. It arrived damaged so I called my local Autozone and they didn't have one in stock, they ordered me a new one, it should be at the store in the morning.

I also ordered a Timken wheel bearing for the same truck from Rockauto and used a 5% off coupon. At my door for $167.83.

I was quoted about $500 to replace just the one wheel bearing at the GM dealership. On the last oil change I discovered a crack in the inner CV boot on the same side as the bad wheel bearing, so I decided to order some parts and change the CV axle and wheel bearing together.

I usually try to find the lowest cost parts that I think are of good quality (looking for value). If I know I need parts ahead of time, I try to shop around and save as much cash as I can on good parts. If I have an unexpected repair come up, availability becomes the priority more so than the cost or brand. Of course there are some parts that I will go OEM only on, especially if they are hard or time consuming to replace or critical to safety.

The damaged CV from Autozone got me thinking about parts and what kind of parts people choose and why... so with that said, what have you ordered lately?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rock Auto has the actual OE axles, all-NEW, not reman
smile.gif

The problem with remans is that they're almost never done right, and they use inferior neoprene boots
mad.gif

(OE is thermoplastic)

Glad to see that Timken is made in the USA
smile.gif

Be happy you can actually get all-new non-reman OEM CV axles. They're only available for GM, Ford, and some European cars. The Japanese DO NOT sell all-NEW OEM axles, only reman! And the "factory" reman from the dealer is Cardone
mad.gif

Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru can get Raxles, the only reman axles worth using. But any Japanese car other than Honda and Subaru will just not have good quality axles available at any price.

Ford, GM, and the Euros can usually get OE radiators at a fair price. Almost impossible otherwise.

GM even sells all-new OE calipers for many cars and trucks. Nobody else does that! This worries me less now since Raybestsos started selling all-new calipers a few years ago.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

I usually try to find the lowest cost parts that I think are of good quality (looking for value). If I know I need parts ahead of time, I try to shop around and save as much cash as I can on good parts. If I have an unexpected repair come up, availability becomes the priority more so than the cost or brand. Of course there are some parts that I will go OEM only on, especially if they are hard or time consuming to replace or critical to safety.

I agree with this for the most part. Examples where aftermarket is better than OE include the Fel-Pro head gaskets for Subaru, and ruthenium and iridium spark plugs for the difficult engines that came with non-long-life plugs.

My CB needs a new rubber "foot" for the kickstand, so I called Honda Town, an OOOOLD Honda powersports sports dealer here in Minneapolis. They didn't have one in stock but ordered me one for $8 and change. Should be here in a couple days. I can't complain about that for an OEM part for a 40 year old machine.

Assorted AC parts [low pressure hose, expansion valve, Schrader valve, accumulator] from various scores to fix my wife's Liberty AC.

Pcv valve and spark plugs for 05 Matrix with 162k on it. Both were the original ones. Old plugs looked pretty good. I went to the dealer for them since prices were about the same compared to anywhere else. The weird thing is there's two different pcv valves for the car. Even plugging in the vin didn't help. Sure enough received the wrong one and they had to order the correct one. Only five bucks so not bad for an oem one.

two filters for each vehicle, truck and car. Two air filters, two oil filters, two cabin filters all from RA using a coupon code. With their "shipping scam" it came to about 90 bucks. Checking Amazon and other parts stores with any app credit / discount, RA still came in the least expensive.

I guess my list is simple (oil filters). 3 Hastings LF589 for the Tacoma, 2 Hastings LF637 for the Liberty, and 2 Hastings LF565 for the Mitsu Outlander. Should last me a couple years except for the Tacoma, which will probably be 1.5 years. Tacoma is coming back from the body shop Friday so hopefully will get an oil change this weekend along with the Outlander.

Perfect timing for this thread, great idea to!

I've had my brothers 2007 F150 5.4 with 172,000 miles all week for some work. What was just supposed to be the shocks/struts turned into much more. She's not been well maintained and it shows but it keeps on kickin.

-Front struts-coils & Rear shocks (Motorcraft) $520 w/ shipping and tax from Rockauto

-Oil change- ST HM Synthetic and MC filter(dark and 1qt low) $30

-Prestone Brake fluid for flush (was nasty) $6

-Windshield washer pump(Motorcraft) and new nozzles/hose(not oem)/nozzles not currently spraying fluid. Wiper blades as well . $45

- Driver window switch(amazon), driver window not working(still not-all other windows working fine, might be window regulator motor?) $16

-Hood struts(amazon), hood falls down easily. $20

Also cleaned MAF and throttle body due to rough idle. $637 in parts, free labor
smile.gif
The shocks alone were going to cost him $1200 at the shop, he's probably saving close to $1000 having me do this work, all with higher quality parts! Plus, I don't mind doing the work.

Very nice of you panthermike! Did you put some Biotech in his engine? I may have to try some of that soon.
smile.gif

Mann oil Filter HU925 (for the Bimmer)
Liqui Moly Oil saver (not for the Bimmer)
Blend door actuator (for the Escape - serious cussing to ensue in the near future when I attempt replacement)

Ordered an acdelco mu1655 fuel pump and evap canister for my Trailblazer, both from Amazon. The fuel pump was broken and in the process of being returned. The metal locking tabs were bent and the plastic pump cover was shattered. At least the canister looks good.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Pcv valve and spark plugs for 05 Matrix with 162k on it. Both were the original ones. Old plugs looked pretty good. I went to the dealer for them since prices were about the same compared to anywhere else. The weird thing is there's two different pcv valves for the car. Even plugging in the vin didn't help. Sure enough received the wrong one and they had to order the correct one. Only five bucks so not bad for an oem one.

Yep- that got me too

Back