Pella Sliding Screen Door Parts

My Pella Slider from 1995 just got a little wanky on me. This picture is of the rod in the top of the screen door. It's the rod the tension spring is attached to. Got any ideas where I can buy that black broken piece missing the 2 wheels like is showing on the good one?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even after 20 years in this house all our windows and doors still have a lifetime warranty. All I have to do to get parts is contact the manufacturer and they send them to me free of charge. You might check.

No warranty. I only had a one year warranty with Pella. LOL

The black plastic with the rollers is crimped on. More than likely need to replace the bar the plastic piece is crimped to. Pella should have the piece you need. I have gotten several parts for my 50 year old sliding screen doors from Andersen over the years. Rollers, tensioners, etc.

Originally Posted by gman2304
The black plastic with the rollers is crimped on. More than likely need to replace the bar the plastic piece is crimped to. Pella should have the piece you need. I have gotten several parts for my 50 year old sliding screen doors from Andersen over the years. Rollers, tensioners, etc.

I wish. They are saying I have to buy the entire piece. I'm checking price tomorrow but I'm feeling we won't be needing a screen door anymore...

This is 1994 door.

FYI ~ the part is called a DCS Screen Roller. The Customer Service rep at Pella referred to it as a Screen Roller Assembly. They have them in stock. Ordered myself one today. Hope this helps.
image001.png

Did you have any luck finding the screen roller? I have the same piece busted and have been trying to get Pella to figure out what I need for two months without success. I’m not sure why this is so difficult for them. Any info is appreciated.

Oddly, I have the same issue with my Pella screen door. The images show a broken plastic end piece that mirrors my issue as well. Were you able to purchase a new screen roller? Are parts available from doors built in 1992? Thanks.

I have exactly the same problem. Same end and everything - I think I could take pictures that are indistinguishable.
My exchange with Pella led to a quote for $500 to replace the "Closure Assembly".
I supplied SSMike's post and have someone trying to see if the DCS Roller Assembly is available, but I have little hope at this point.
I don't think I can glue it back together and still keep the rollers turning, so I am working on a 3D printed part as a contingency.
If I have luck on either front I'll let you know...

Had the exact same problem in 2017 and again this year 2021. Ordered the part from Pella in 2017 for $75 with a 2-year part warranty. This year was told by one Pella tech they no longer carry them and it had to be custom made by Pella back in Jan 2021 for $250. I didn't do anything at that point. In March 2021, I tried calling Pella again. This time a tech said they had them in stock and wanted $350 for the the closure assembly. Terrible customer service & pricing from Pella. There has to be another way to get this part and a REASONABLE cost for it.

They quoted me $400 in March 2021 + $100 to install it. If you forgo installation, there is a $50 shipping charge. I tried to clarify I didn't need a door, just the roller and they confirmed that the quote wasn't a door, "just the part I need".

I understand the door is 25 year old and I don't expect them to have parts available for forever. Had they said it was out-of-stock and they couldn't get more I would have grunted and moved on. Insisting on $500 for a part for what was at most a $300 door was a bit infuriating.

So, I reverse engineered the end parts in CAD and made 3D prints of them. One end is pretty complicated and it printed pretty rough. I am working through refining the design to be easy to make but still fit on the door and in the track. If I come up with something that does work it should be easy to reproduce for a couple of dollars. In which case I'll share and might even be willing to ship a few at cost. I have been planning to re-use the wheels, but it looks like standard 3/4" (19mm) shower door rollers might be very easy to adapt. They are only $3 for 4 and have nice ball bearings...

I'll probably have more than $500 in time in this project by the time I'm done, but somehow I will still feel better about that ;)

Got a quote from Pella of $299.12 to replace this part. Part ONLY. We have 4 of their sliders that use this trolley (and 2 others that don't) and have replaced this part a couple of times over the years. I recall it costing around $40.00, a reasonalbe amount. I know darn well I didn't pay any where near $300. I wouldn't. I won't.

Has anyone found a better approach?

By the way, this was a strange place to come across this conversation. But I'm happy I did.

I acknowledge this is an odd thread for multiple reasons.

I was quoted 401.47 for the closure assembly which includes the broken part, but is not the full door.
Another 92.00 for installation or 50.00 for delivery without installation.

I have two potential solutions but haven't had time to try either yet. This may be the weekend for it - I think we had our last snow of the season this past Wednesday. I think I am going to start with this:

1619275718047.jpg

The brown part is wood with a couple of holes in it.
The blue thing is a 3D printed catch.
The white rollers are off the shelf parts.
I'm going to be < $10 in on materials. I'll let you know if it works.

I acknowledge this is an odd thread for multiple reasons.

I was quoted 401.47 for the closure assembly which includes the broken part, but is not the full door.
Another 92.00 for installation or 50.00 for delivery without installation.

I have two potential solutions but haven't had time to try either yet. This may be the weekend for it - I think we had our last snow of the season this past Wednesday. I think I am going to start with this:

View attachment 55186
The brown part is wood with a couple of holes in it.
The blue thing is a 3D printed catch.
The white rollers are off the shelf parts.
I'm going to be < $10 in on materials. I'll let you know if it works.
I'm pulling for you. My sons are engineers and prolific 3D printers. Please let us know how it goes.

They quoted me $400 in March 2021 + $100 to install it. If you forgo installation, there is a $50 shipping charge. I tried to clarify I didn't need a door, just the roller and they confirmed that the quote wasn't a door, "just the part I need".

I understand the door is 25 year old and I don't expect them to have parts available for forever. Had they said it was out-of-stock and they couldn't get more I would have grunted and moved on. Insisting on $500 for a part for what was at most a $300 door was a bit infuriating.

So, I reverse engineered the end parts in CAD and made 3D prints of them. One end is pretty complicated and it printed pretty rough. I am working through refining the design to be easy to make but still fit on the door and in the track. If I come up with something that does work it should be easy to reproduce for a couple of dollars. In which case I'll share and might even be willing to ship a few at cost. I have been planning to re-use the wheels, but it looks like standard 3/4" (19mm) shower door rollers might be very easy to adapt. They are only $3 for 4 and have nice ball bearings...

I'll probably have more than $500 in time in this project by the time I'm done, but somehow I will still feel better about that ;)
Hello. We’re you able to 3D print the parts and can I buy some?

thanks
Mac6108

Back