Using the Search Function BITOG

Am I the only person too dumb to efficiently use the search function here on bitog? It's so complicated to me I just usually don't bother. The "date ranges" frustrates and confuses me. Before 2, greater than 4, months, years, days, don't drop the soap, call a friend, do the hokey pokey, etc.

Is there a reason our search function is different from every other search function I am familiar with? There probably is a good reason I'm just out of the search loop.

Not complaining, well sort of, but not really. An inquiring mind wants to know.
05.gif

Yep, I'm with dogememe here.

I take whatever search criteria I'm looking for, type it into google with "site:bobistheoilguy.com" at the end of it. This will only pull up results on the site that you list.

For example:
"what engine oil is best for my car site:bobistheoilguy.com"

Forget about the BITOG search function ... it's never been good.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Forget about the BITOG search function ... it's never been good.

Nail on head!

So to sure I understand, I just type in whatever I am searching for and then a space and then type "site:bobistheoilguy.com"?

Originally Posted by Gebo
So to sure I understand, I just type in whatever I am searching for and then a space and then type "site:bobistheoilguy.com"?

Yep ... give it a try.

BITOG is working on it. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

Here, for example.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../search-hardly-works-anymore#Post5415145

I'm moving this to the proper forum. "General Board Information".[/quote]

That's easy for you to say.

If I could only have searched this forum I would not have had to post again.
crackmeup2.gif

I trust we all see my attempt at humor.

Well, not really as nobody looks at this forum.

My attempt at passive-aggressiveness.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo

That is what I have done for years. It works pretty good. I don't know if I have ever used BITOG's search function--not that I want to complain--but years ago I came across this google trick (probably on BITOG!) and used effectively here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I just use Google or Bing to search this site. Most forum search systems suck.

I've seen many forums that disable the built-in search tool and replace it entirely with Google. Others provide both. I'm curious if the forum software used here even supports the Google search add-in....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by dogememe
I just use Google or Bing to search this site. Most forum search systems suck.

I've seen many forums that disable the built-in search tool and replace it entirely with Google. Others provide both. I'm curious if the forum software used here even supports the Google search add-in....

IIRC, we had a Google search add-on here on BITOG for a little while many years ago. It got removed because it costs money.

Google has discontinued its Site Search product for site owners, but the crawler still indexes a lot of sites that allow it to.

For end users, the way to restrict search results to a particular site is to use this format:

Code
site:bobistheoilguy.com YOUR SEARCH TERMS

Obviously, replace the appropriate part with what you're looking for, but the "site:" prefix is the relevant part. Sometimes, you have to get a little more specific with the forum's domain, but here, only the main one is needed.

You can also specify a date range using "after:YYYY-MM-DD" and "before:YYYY-MM-DD", for example:

Code
seafoam after:2010-01-01 before:2015-12-31 site:bobistheoilguy.com

Or just use the "Tools" menu on Google's page and specify a custom date range there.

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
Google has discontinued its Site Search product for site owners, but the crawler still indexes a lot of sites that allow it to.

It works at the site I took the screenshot from (AVS Forum). It works at G35 Driver. I'm sure I can find others too...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Carmudgeon

It works at the site I took the screenshot from (AVS Forum). It works at G35 Driver. I'm sure I can find others too...

You're right. GSS was a more enterprise-oriented product.

After they shut it down, they suggested users move to a replacement that's not quite as flexible, and more ad-based. That's the one some forums opt to use.

With Google, moar is better, at least until they suddenly decide otherwise. They had seven different messaging apps at one point.

Back