250K Trans never serviced. Should I?

Originally Posted by BBQSMOKE
My 2006 Toyota Sequoia will turn 250,000 miles in the next few week. Hate to say it, but I don't remember ever changing the transmission filter or fluid. It has no problems, but I've read you shouldn't change trans fluid on high mileage vehicles.

Where have you read this, BBQSMOKE?

Originally Posted by KCJeep
My son has a Mazda 6 which at 150+k had never had a tranny fluid service as best we know. Mechanic said to leave it alone, so we did. No problems as of 190+k but it does bother me a bit.

What year is the 6?

Drain/fill, take it for a drive, repeat 1-2 more times. Done before the fluid leads to any premature wear, it will keep it going for the longer haul. Good stuff.

M

I'd recommend that you try a single drain and refill. That way if the wear materials/fine grit in the fluid now is what is enabling otherwise worn transmission parts to function, you wouldn't be removing it all at ounce... I'm saying this based on information I've heard from mechanics over the years, so take it for what it is...

At this stage id take it in for a pan drop so you can clean the mags, and change the filter.
You can get a good idea how much of your tran is sitting in the pan as well.

Im surprise it isn't leaking as the fluid cant be keeping the seals fresh at this stage of the game.

If you feel like you have to do something yourself then as the other guys said - a single D&F is all Id do for at least a few thousand miles.

Dave

Assuming you want to keep the vehicle long-term, I would drop the pan and replace the filter and top off with fresh correct fluid. If it improves or at least no ill effects, drive it 1000 miles and do a fluid drain & fill, wait to see how it responds, etc. After 3-4 of these you will change out most of the fluid. Just don't do a transmission flush, those are unnecessary and can be troublesome and expensive.

Multiple spill and fills. Toyota switched over to felt media filters in the early-2000s with their 5-speed boxes. At the last spill, if the fluid is close to clear red, change the filter - don't forget the O-ring and gaskets.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
My son has a Mazda 6 which at 150+k had never had a tranny fluid service as best we know. Mechanic said to leave it alone, so we did. No problems as of 190+k but it does bother me a bit.

That's just really bad advice from your mechanic.

The internet is full of stories of people changing the fluid on high mileage transmissions and then they fail shortly after. I believe people start to look at the fluid change only after the performance is suffering. Change the fluid and it continues to fail and dies. So why now? if its because it doesn't feel just right, I would save the money.

I would change it. If it fails it was going to fail anyway. I personally have changed brown, nearly black ATF on a few of my used cars without any problems. But I did it over 2 or 3 drain and fills which are gentler. On one even resolved a very delayed/no reverse issue. Drove the truck for another 100k without issue.

Last edited:
In a good functioning transmission I'd do it, a pan drop/filter change. Then drive it a bit and do either an extraction or line off fluid exchange. In a transmission on its death bed I might roll the dice and do the service, knowing it might not survive.

You are sitting on a time bomb that could go off any time now...or possibly never. Logic would dictate that you at least drop the pan, replace the filter and do a refill. I wouldn't do any kind of power flush. Changing the fluid at this point however might dissolve any dirt that is helping to keep the transmission sealed. I would do the fluid and filter change but be prepared for some shift issues etc.

Resurrecting an old thread to counsel an OP that was a one-and-done on here (lasted two days).

BBQSMOKE was one of the many like that.

Back