Walmart Won't Sell Me Antifreeze

Originally Posted by JohnnyO
Any thoughts on why Walmart will not sell me Prestone? Tried two different stores and it comes up "restricted item". Not because of age, I'm well over 21, checkout supervisor punched in her code and it still wouldn't let me buy it. I told her you better take it off the shelf then because there's a lot more back there. I did email Walmart customer service.
Nothing on Walmart's website. Thoughts?

You've been flagged as a druggie in some system the state keeps.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
They will not sell -20°F windshield washer fluid in Texas either because the alcohol content is too high. I like it because it removes bugs better than the other stuff, so I stock up when I travel through NM, CO, WY, or MT.

Only a few counties in California can sell it. We are stuck with the 32F stuff.

As for the OP, it is probably a glitch in the system.

I've seen 2 bottles of the "good" stuff at a Walmart in Martinez, CA. Better me buying it, which I did than CARB finding out.

I usually buy the high-VOC stuff when I pass through Tahoe or Reno.

They will not sell -20°F windshield washer fluid in Texas either because the alcohol content is too high. I like it because it removes bugs better than the other stuff, so I stock up when I travel through NM, CO, WY, or MT.

I suspect it's an emissions thing because the methanol will evap into the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Walmarts in the DFW area of Texas sell the -20 washer fluid. It is seasonal, but they sell it.
I should have clarified and said Rain-X -20°F washer fluid. Texas law prevents any washer fluid with more than 23.5% VOC from being sold so any that are sold have less than that, but that also means they are likely not as effective. I have tried all of them and the Rain-X -20°F stuff cuts through the bugs better than any other--particularly "love bugs".

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/stationary-rules/voc/windshield-washer

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I don't know, but there system for restricted items is weird, like I went through the self checkout with carb cleaner and non chlorinated brake cleaner which are virtually the same thing, and I scanned the brake cleaner and it was fine but when I scanned the carb cleaner it required approval

I tried to buy a shovel and it was restricted. Checkout guy said it's coming up as a knife.

Here in NY , Supertech "lubricant" requires ID but WD40 doesn't ...

I bought some WD-40 the other day, it scanned as "Lubricant" and required approval. Maybe they were thinking about the other type of lubricant...

Ironically, I bought rubbing alcohol in the same transaction, and it simply scanned as "alcohol." So now my receipt says I bought lubricant and alcohol... their checkout system probably thinks I'm going to have more fun than I actually did doing my brakes...

Last edited:
News to me too. Some Walmart policies and practices are just weird... some are in a good way, some are not.

When a product gets recalled thats how they stop selling it.

Grocery store does the same thing.

Not saying this is the case here, just an observation.

Back