Brand new Tires / 98 Olds 88

I just got brand new Firestone Fuel Fighters on my moldsmobile. Before I had them put on I noticed a slight vibration at 70-75 MPH. Had it inspected before new tires and they found 2 bend rims. I buy two used rims (steel wheels), shop inspects them, they are fine. They install 4 new tires with the 2 new rims I got. Still get this dang vibration. So my mechanic had it in for something unrelated but I had spin the wheels and check the front end parts while up on the lift. He said the drivers front tire wobbled like crazy, the pass front and a ding in the rim, and the pass rear also wobbled slightly. I take it back to the stupid tire shop, its there almost all freaking day and I finally call and they say the rebalanced them. I called BS on it right on the phone. That has nothing to do with the tire wobbling. I told them to fix it. So I finally got hold of a guy at the tire shop with half a brain and explained all this to him and he said he wants to road force test the wheels tomorrow to fully inspect all the tires and the rims. I mean, if tire is wobbling, then it would have to be the rim, correct?

Originally Posted by Mark72
I mean, if tire is wobbling, then it would have to be the rim, correct?

No, it doesn't have to be the rim. The tire could be incorrectly made, or had a belt separate, and be out of round.

Have them show you that the tire is wobbling, then go from there.. Usually a bent rim will really show up at slow speeds too. Could be something with the driveline, who knows. You have to give them a chance because it sounds like they have checked balance enough and its time to look elsewhere for the source of your problem.. Did you have a front end inspection for any loose parts? If the car behaves the same as it did before the new tires were installed, you have an issue with your Olds.You didn't mention what year your Olds is. Have an alignment and front end inspection done to see where its set. A caster issue can cause a wobble just like a funky shopping cart does. Unfortunately, most cars you cannot adjust the caster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
……… Unfortunately, most cars you cannot adjust the caster.

Ah ….. Mmmmm …… Not exactly.

Sometimes it requires a plate or an eccentric bolt, but EVERY car's camber can be adjusted.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

Sometimes it requires a plate or an eccentric bolt, but EVERY car's camber can be adjusted.

My two Mercury's caster are non adjustable. I do not know the year of his Old's. I am not aware where an eccentric bolt can be placed on my vehicles that is going to move the wheel forward or backwards. I am talking caster not camber. Camber issues is not going to cause the shake the OP is experiencing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer

My two Mercury's caster are non adjustable. I do not know the year of his Old's. I am not aware where an eccentric bolt can be placed on my vehicles that is going to move the wheel forward or backwards. I am talking caster not camber. Camber issues is not going to cause the shake the OP is experiencing.

Opps, meant caster - and camber plates can also adjust caster.

Back