250K Trans never serviced. Should I?

My 2006 Toyota Sequoia will turn 250,000 miles in the next few week. Hate to say it, but I don't remember ever changing the transmission filter or fluid. It has no problems, but I've read you shouldn't change trans fluid on high mileage vehicles.

Well I had 283,500 miles on my Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe with a CVT... Changed it 3 times in 6,500 miles. Did a 4th and final CVT fluid drain and refill just a little while ago...

Now just passed 310,000 miles with zero issues.

First drain and refill was wth Castrol CVT fluid and last 3 drain and refills we're with Eneos CVT fluid.

If you do so absolutely do a drain and fill with a filter change if possible. With that many miles and no service a gradual introduction of new fluid is safer than a full exchange or flush. Id do 1 drain and fill with filter change (if possible), drive it for a week or so and decide whether another one is in order from there.

Yes, do it all, filter, pan, and line exchange, should be easy unless you have the exhaust under the pan as some v8 4Runners do. Most mine been over 200k miles when I acquired them and likely had never had any prior transmission service.

Originally Posted by BBQSMOKE
My 2006 Toyota Sequoia will turn 250,000 miles in the next few week. Hate to say it, but I don't remember ever changing the transmission filter or fluid. It has no problems, but I've read you shouldn't change trans fluid on high mileage vehicles.

If it's got a dipstick inspect the color and smell, if it smells super burnt and foul then don't touch it.

If the car is shifting fine, there is nothing wrong with changing the fluid at this time
smile.gif

You're lucky because your Sienna has a drain plug for the transmission, so you don't even have to drop the pan
happy2.gif

The best way to do a complete fluid exchange is to do multiple drain and fills, 3-4x total. The time between each drain can be anywhere from around the block to many months. It's probably easiest to drain the fluid when cold, measure, and refill with the same amount you drained. Do this once a week for 3-4 weeks and you will get a complete fluid change.

While 3-4 drain and fills will give you a thorough exchange, a single drain and fill will be sufficient. Most cars go to the junkyard on their factory fill ATF and never get their transmission fluid changed
crazy2.gif

The only time it's not a good idea to change the ATF on a high-mileage transmission is when it's already acting up.

Maxlife is great stuff and widely available at Walmart for a good price. Castrol Full Synthetic is also a good choice. Those are my two favorites.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Maxlife is great stuff and widely available at Walmart for a good price. Castrol Full Synthetic is also a good choice. Those are my two favorites.

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere but when I was in a Dollar General recently I noticed they have quarts of maxlife ATF for only $3.95

Yup, agree with everyone, why not do a transmission service? If it is working fine, shouldn't have any issue with some new fluid. May even shift smoother... If it was my vehicle, I would absolutely do a drain and fill..

It's a Toyota with a good functioning transmission. This is a great candidate even at higher miles to do a drain and fill. Replace the filter with an oem Toyota one as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
If you do so absolutely do a drain and fill with a filter change if possible. With that many miles and no service a gradual introduction of new fluid is safer than a full exchange or flush. Id do 1 drain and fill with filter change (if possible), drive it for a week or so and decide whether another one is in order from there.

Agree.

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Yes, do it all, filter, pan, and line exchange, should be easy unless you have the exhaust under the pan as some v8 4Runners do. Most mine been over 200k miles when I acquired them and likely had never had any prior transmission service.

Bingo!

I tend to believe in full fluid exchanges but this is quite some miles. I'd be tempted to do a drain and fill a couple of times, then a full flush. It's only a couple extra gallons to do that and a bit of time (over a full exchange that is).

Pretty sure this is a strainer, not filter. But the magnets should be cleaned anyhow. 50/50 coin toss as to if it really matters to clean the magnets, whatever it has shed, it shed long ago and got caught on those magnets--is it worth messing with the gasket (and breaking any pan bolts) to clean that? I think I'd skip that step, just drain and fill a couple of times, then full flush down the road.

My son has a Mazda 6 which at 150+k had never had a tranny fluid service as best we know. Mechanic said to leave it alone, so we did. No problems as of 190+k but it does bother me a bit.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere but when I was in a Dollar General recently I noticed they have quarts of maxlife ATF for only $3.95

I've bought it there but it was typically $5/quart. It seems to back and forth from the regular shelf to their clearance section too. On the other hand, Walmart sells a 4 quart bottle for $15-20 so it ends up around the same per quart.

Back