ATF line blowout on freeway! Fluid spray everywhere.

Pulled over as soon as I saw the oil cloud billowing behind me. I had it towed back into my garage. I have to first repair the leak, but was wondering how to go about refilling the pan, without overfilling. It's a 2001 Subaru Forester, if that makes a difference.

4EAT? I thought has the typical dipstick on it, no? Once the repair is done, I'd drain the pan, then add in whatever is required to fill after a drain & fill. Looking around I think it's only 4 quarts for a D&F. Link Then start it up and check the level, and add until full.

Should have a dipstick, on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the firewall. Yellow handle, it's mounted kind of low. A drain and fill on a typical 4EAT is about 4 quarts, is there any fluid registering on the stick? You could have lost a quart or 7 quarts if the cooler line let go completely. If nothing registers on the stick with the engine off, add a quart at a time until it reads somewhere between the full cold and full hot marks. Then start the engine, shift it through the ranges a couple times, and check the fluid again with the engine idling and up to temp. Adjust fluid level as necessary.

That 4EAT takes about 3.7 quarts of fluid for a spill and fill. But since you literally spilled, you need more than that to refill the cooler and torque converter. Start with 4 quarts, run it through the gears and add as needed to bring the level to the cold range and do a hot check.

I've walked past a bus that puked a a few gallons of ATF or 15W-40 oil for the hydraulic cooling and power steering systems. Those use Aeroquip no-crimp hose.

Last edited:
I still think you should pull the drain plug on the pan first, and verify that it's dry. You might be surprised at what is left in there. I could be wrong, but that is where I'd start, and at least establish that for a starting point, then you know you can't overfill with the initial 4 quarts.

Originally Posted by supton
I still think you should pull the drain plug on the pan first, and verify that it's dry. You might be surprised at what is left in there. I could be wrong, but that is where I'd start, and at least establish that for a starting point, then you know you can't overfill with the initial 4 quarts.

A very good idea in my opinion ^^^^^↑^^

Originally Posted by joegreen
What happened? Did the line break from rust?

I have absolutely no clue yet. I'm getting ready to leave on a short vacation in my other car, in which I just performed a timing belt change and all four engine mounts replacement. I'll deal with this problem when I get back.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Should have a dipstick, on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the firewall. Yellow handle, it's mounted kind of low. A drain and fill on a typical 4EAT is about 4 quarts, is there any fluid registering on the stick? You could have lost a quart or 7 quarts if the cooler line let go completely. If nothing registers on the stick with the engine off, add a quart at a time until it reads somewhere between the full cold and full hot marks. Then start the engine, shift it through the ranges a couple times, and check the fluid again with the engine idling and up to temp. Adjust fluid level as necessary.

That's what I'd do.

Back