Walmart Won't Sell Me Antifreeze

Any thoughts on why Walmart will not sell me Prestone? Tried two different stores and it comes up "restricted item". Not because of age, I'm well over 21, checkout supervisor punched in her code and it still wouldn't let me buy it. I told her you better take it off the shelf then because there's a lot more back there. I did email Walmart customer service.
Nothing on Walmart's website. Thoughts?

I don't know, but there system for restricted items is weird, like I went through the self checkout with carb cleaner and non chlorinated brake cleaner which are virtually the same thing, and I scanned the brake cleaner and it was fine but when I scanned the carb cleaner it required approval

If it got recalled they won't sell it to anybody.

Maybe it doesn't have the bitterant, and PA just outlawed it, and it's old stock?

I bought some Peak Long Life from WM and had it shipped to me a few months back... no issues then.

Have you tried buying it online and having it shipped to you... or by using curbside pickup?

Originally Posted by eljefino
If it got recalled they won't sell it to anybody.

Maybe it doesn't have the bitterant, and PA just outlawed it, and it's old stock?

Dunno, but they should take it off the shelf then. I will try Auto Zone but it will cost more.

Originally Posted by Imp4
When you went to the store manager to resolve the issue what was the result?

Didn't go to the manager. I emailed Walmart customer service. Both Walmart's website and the government's website say nothing about a recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO
Any thoughts on why Walmart will not sell me Prestone? Tried two different stores and it comes up "restricted item". Not because of age, I'm well over 21, checkout supervisor punched in her code and it still wouldn't let me buy it. I told her you better take it off the shelf then because there's a lot more back there. I did email Walmart customer service.
Nothing on Walmart's website. Thoughts?

Might want to also send email to Prestone too or try another brand to check then empty your cart.

Last edited:
Glitch in the system? Some checkbox got set by accident?

Weird...

I just bout some Valvoline blue coolant today, so there's that.

Was it on clearance and rang up like 1c or something? Because items that ring up like that (a penny or a few cents) is usually code for "not allowed to sell this item" (to anybody, regardless of age). I've seen this in Walmart, Family Dollar, and Advance Auto Parts.

The only malicious thing you can do with ethylene glycol is to poison someone with it - but it's too obvious and someone will taste the Bitrex in it. Cats and dogs, however will still get killed from a little EG.

Walmart doesn't ID me for aerosol brake/carb cleaner or Regaine, I still get carded for booze.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I don't know, but there system for restricted items is weird, like I went through the self checkout with carb cleaner and non chlorinated brake cleaner which are virtually the same thing, and I scanned the brake cleaner and it was fine but when I scanned the carb cleaner it required approval

Here in NY , Supertech "lubricant" requires ID but WD40 doesn't ...

They will not sell -20°F windshield washer fluid in Texas either because the alcohol content is too high. I like it because it removes bugs better than the other stuff, so I stock up when I travel through NM, CO, WY, or MT.

Success at Auto Zone. I mention to the guy about my problems at Walmart and he says there was a recall because the caps weren't childproof enough. He said they had to send theirs back and get new. Maybe Walmart hasn't got the new bottles yet.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
They will not sell -20°F windshield washer fluid in Texas either because the alcohol content is too high. I like it because it removes bugs better than the other stuff, so I stock up when I travel through NM, CO, WY, or MT.

Only a few counties in California can sell it. We are stuck with the 32F stuff.

As for the OP, it is probably a glitch in the system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Only a few counties in California can sell it. We are stuck with the 32F stuff...
Toughing it out along the California coast?

smile.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Walmarts in the DFW area of Texas sell the -20 washer fluid. It is seasonal, but they sell it.

Back