Chess

I've started to play more chess recently. I've never really played much, my Dad tried to teach me as a kid but he would just destroy me every game and being the irrational, yet competitive child I was, I didn't want to play a game I felt I couldn't win. However, 20ish years later, I've started playing again and really enjoying it. Anyone on here play? Know of any good books/resources? I've been playing a lot on chess.com and doing their puzzles, but I enjoy reading so I figured I'd see if anyone has a book that they recommend or other resources they've used to get better at the game.

I haven't played in years, but I used to quite a bit! My father was really good at it and I can remember he would play for hours with his Uncle.

My problem with a strategy game like that is I end up taking 45 minutes to make a move because I calculate everything way out ahead of time. I usually end up 5 moves ahead of my opponent. And I still mess up and end up in checkmate.

Of board games, it's a rather pure game in the sense there is no luck involved... no roll of the dice. It's all in how good you are mentally and strategically. It was a favorite game of generals in the old armies.

I used to play on chess dot com as well. I enjoy it but it's not a relaxing activity for me. I end up exhausted and quite sweaty after the game.

Playing on an actual board is far more enjoyable than on the internet. There is another quality of time spent plus observing the opponent's thoughts are part of the plans for the scenario development.

That and backgammon are the only games I enjoy playing, come to think of it.

WARNING: NAME DROPPING AHEAD

I had a roommate who played against Shelby Lyman who was Bobby Fischer's "team mate". I'm not entirely sure of the particulars.

I'd play my roommate. He'd win but it took him progressively longer and longer to beat me.

That means I got better.

"Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev. A classic. Available on Amazon.

First read it about 40 years ago, and it made me a much better player.

Originally Posted by Astro14
"Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev. A classic. Available on Amazon.

First read it about 40 years ago, and it made me a much better player.

Thanks for the suggestion!

My family had a Chess Set when I was growing up.
It was a nice game to learn even if you never won (but winning IS better).

My suggestion to anyone buying a Chess Set is:
Make sure the pieces actually look like what they represent.
I see to many Chess Set's where you don't know what the pieces are / it's tough enough to learn already.

Last edited:
Morphy, Lasker, Capablanca, Petrosian, Karpov, Fischer, Carlsen, and the best of them all: Kasparov - What's not to like about Chess?!

I used to spend hours studying their games when I was younger, and it was a pleasure to do so.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Good suggestions. I haven't bothered with a board yet, simply because my wife won't play and none of my friends do either. Doesn't really bother me- I'm comfortable playing online. I did buy "Bobby Fischer teaches chess" by Bobby Fischer, and I've been watching a lot of a YouTube channel by the name of "agadmator's chess channel" which has been a good watch. He goes over high level games and explains, in really good detail, what happened and why decisions were made. I recommend the channel for folks interested in the subject.

On the topic of STRATEGO- that was our fallback game after chess. Not that I had a ton of success pulling out a win against the old man in that game either, but being able to score a win every once in a while was nice.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I used to play on chess dot com as well. I enjoy it but it's not a relaxing activity for me. I end up exhausted and quite sweaty after the game.

Playing on an actual board is far more enjoyable than on the internet. There is another quality of time spent plus observing the opponent's thoughts are part of the plans for the scenario development.

That and backgammon are the only games I enjoy playing, come to think of it.

I used to play a lot, got quite good. Hated to lose, other games didn't have that effect on me.
After a number of years it became grueling and not as enjoyable.
I had a book or 2, Lasker, Chess for Fun and Chess for Blood was one of them.

Last edited:
Back