4.7 Toyota V8 OCI recommendation

Recently decided to switch both of my vehicles over to Castrol Edge EP. That said I'm curious how far I should take my 4th gen 4runners OCI. Driven in Arizona. Weekly 45 min freeway commute in Phoenix, some city driving, no dirt roads or off-road ever. Fram Ultra oil filter. Not very interested in a UOA. I've heard the 2UZ-FE is easy on oil?

Your 2UZ doesn't care.

A quality synthetic and your highway usage might warrant a 10k Mile OCI. Otherwise, 5k on anything.

Our trusty 2001 Tundra has 199K. I service the oil once a year (or a few more months). Doesn't get driven that much anymore.
I use whatever 5w30 high mileage synthetic that I have on hand. M1, Valvoline, Quaker State. That Costco stuff would work real well.
I use a the bigger filter like a M1 301A, Fram XG8A. This allows for a 7 quart fill.

This is a great engine. Yes, very easy on oil.

So long as you change the oil in general, good luck killing that engine. Run any synthetic 5w30 with confidence.

Originally Posted by Gene K
I know guys with ridiculous mileage on the 4.7L on M1 AP 5W-30 every 10,000 mi. Edge EP is overkill.

Edge EP is overkill LOL but its cheaper than M1 AP.

All I know is this motor became even more smooth after the Edge EP. I really appreciate all of the input guys. For me sounds like annual OCI's and obsess about something else ...‚

My son is the current owner of the 2005 Tundra D/C I bought new. Last time I looked it was closing in on 250,000 miles. I drove it it's 1st 5 years and 120,000 miles (Mobil1 full synthetic) and after the first few oil changes I went with a 10,000 miles OCI based on a Blackstone analysis. Blackstone basically said, Toyota's 4.7 was one of the best out there and very easy on oil. Then they suggested that I bump the OCI to 12,000 miles.
My son's use of the truck is different than mine was, so he changes it every 5,000.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Gene K
I know guys with ridiculous mileage on the 4.7L on M1 AP 5W-30 every 10,000 mi. Edge EP is overkill.

Edge EP is overkill LOL but its cheaper than M1 AP.

Sorry, meant "Advanced" not Annual.

M1 is usually pretty cheap when you buy it during the biannual rebate periods at Walmart.

Last edited:
Any oil is good in this 4.7 V8. I'm at about 7,500 miles and 13 months into my current fill... might be due for a change soon.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back