idled for12 months

I like how they made up these numbers !
grin.gif

Over its life cycle, this cop car has spent 8300 hours of idle time. With one hour of idling converting to about 33 miles of driving, that means that the engine has been put through 275,000 miles of wear through idling alone. Throw in the extra 82,000 miles that the car actually drove and it brings us to the grand total of 357,000 engine miles.
In all seriousness, where did they get that 8300 value from ? They use that to come with their arbitrary 275k miles too.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
grin.gif

Over its life cycle, this cop car has spent 8300 hours of idle time. With one hour of idling converting to about 33 miles of driving, that means that the engine has been put through 275,000 miles of wear through idling alone. Throw in the extra 82,000 miles that the car actually drove and it brings us to the grand total of 357,000 engine miles.
In all seriousness, where did they get that 8300 value from ? They use that to come with their arbitrary 275k miles too.

The hour meter shows 8300 idle hours. The average drive speed for that particular car works out to 28 miles per non idling hour based on 82,000 miles and the difference between engine total hours and idle hours. Now whether idling is better or worse than driving, I have no clue but those are the numbers .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
That engine looks great inside!

So what oil, weight, and OCI?

Being it was a municipality, I'm betting it was generic stuff with changes (at best) per the GM OLM.

Hopefully this quiets some of the fast heartbeats, sweaty palms, and sleepless nights at BITOG.

Originally Posted by nascarnation

I'm sure it was one grade higher than what is recommended. I mean that's the only way it can last so long.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I'm sure it was one grade higher than what is recommended. I mean that's the only way it can last so long.

Seriously? Based on what?

Being it was a municipality, I'm betting it was generic stuff with changes (at best) per the GM OLM.

Hopefully this quiets some of the fast heartbeats, sweaty palms, and sleepless nights at BITOG.

Nope !! We can't let our preconceived notions get in the way of facts.

Actually this is more common than what we might think. A lot of utility trucks idle for many hours a day for years and years.

I know of a 1949 International pickup that was used by the city here as a paint truck. It had a compressor in the bed. This was purchased by the city brand new and its duty was to paint the Guard rails which were wood back then. The city is around 50 square miles in size. That truck did it's duty for over twenty years until the early 70's when wooden guard rails were getting scarce as steel had taken over. It was retired and sold at auction to a salvage yard.

I know the person who bought that truck from the salvage yard. He was able to start it and drive it home. He restored it to original condition. He still owns it and it still runs. There is no telling how many miles or hours are on that engine.

They built those Cornbinders well back in the day.

Over its life cycle, this cop car has spent 8300 hours of idle time. With one hour of idling converting to about 33 miles of driving, that means that the engine has been put through 275,000 miles of wear through idling alone. ...
In all seriousness, where did they get that 8300 value from ? ...
I gather the 8300 was from an idle timer. However, that's NOT the number of hours in 12 average-length months, 8766.

What justifies the claim that one hour of idle somehow equates to 33 miles? In most cases, 33 miles would require more engine revolutions---not that the comparison is necessarily that simple.

grin.gif

From the engine hours and idle time meters. My F150 records those numbers too

The 33 miles came from a Ford study of the effect of engine idle that occurred years ago.

Originally Posted by Gene K
...The 33 miles came from a Ford study of the effect of engine idle that occurred years ago.
Claims like that aren't to be taken too literally. Those 33 miles might be equivalent regarding one specific form of wear of one component, or deposit formation on one area, but can't possibly be equivalent in every sense everywhere in an engine. In 33 miles of typical mixed use, temperatures in the engine will vary a lot more than at a constant idle.

Regardless, if one use 28 or 33 as the equivalent for miles per hour of idling, that engine was in great shape with minimal varnish--especially with the DOD system on it.

I am betting the cheapest filter and oil were used too.

I had a 68 Impala with over 350K miles and my brothers Honda element delivery vehicle has over 450K. Changing oil regularly and maintaining the fueling system components is how mileage is irrelevent. Idling for 12 months is an engine that is not working and just spinning. If fuel system went goofy by just a little bit it would've cascaded into wear quickly.

man thos engines are beasts.i dont think there is any late model German cars that are so durable.

imho the LS is the worlds best engine now. I am blown away by mine every time I drive it. 18mpg city and almost 300hp . in a 5300 lb truck that goes 0-60 in 7 seconds

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I had a 68 Impala with over 350K miles and my brothers Honda element delivery vehicle has over 450K. Changing oil regularly and maintaining the fueling system components is how mileage is irrelevent. Idling for 12 months is an engine that is not working and just spinning. If fuel system went goofy by just a little bit it would've cascaded into wear quickly.

A carbureted engine with 350K miles is a miracle most times and idling would make it even worse with the fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Based on what? It's coming out of your tax dollars, so little reason for them to skimp instead of using the OEM filter and major brand dino oil if not synthetic.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Based on what? It's coming out of your tax dollars, so little reason for them to skimp instead of using the OEM filter and major brand dino oil if not synthetic.

If it's a large jurisdiction, no politician wants to spend any extra money on vehicle maintenance, that's not buying any votes.
I agree some small fleets run by a conscientious department will get good maintenance.
I looked at the video I don't think they mentioned and the logos were scrubbed off.

Back