Should I upgrade my 14 Odyssey?

I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey Elite with about 70K on it. Been a very good van for us, never an issue. Ive maintained it flawlessly and just changed out every fluid on it over the weekend. We bought it used with 6000 miles on it and its performed perfectly. I've been considering a pre-owned 19/20 Odyssey Elite but I am on the fence after reading reviews on them. Id only look at a model with the 10 speed transmission as opposed to the 9 speed. I drove a 2019 Touring, seemed to be a nice van with great safety features but I couldn't help notice the interior materials feel a lesser grade than in my 14 and the 14 had a lesser feeling interior than the 08 Odyssey I traded in. The 08 had almost an Acura quality interior on it. Anyone have experience with a new Odyssey? Can I expect it to be as good as my 14? My 14 was pretty decked out back then with blind spot, lane departure warning and other features. I added the NavTool Apple CarPlay interface to it to update the infotainment tech. Id love a newer van, but I have been very skeptical after reading reviews. I do like the Chrysler Pacifica as well, but my last 3 vans were Hondas so Id prefer to stay in the Honda Family.

Lots of VCM issues on that generation of Odyssey. If you have not disabled the VCM by now, you can expect fouled plugs and oil consumption soon. Search for a thread I posted on here showing the plugs that I took out from a 2012 Odyssey.

Originally Posted by carguy996
I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey Elite with about 70K on it. Been a very good van for us, never an issue. Ive maintained it flawlessly and just changed out every fluid on it over the weekend. We bought it used with 6000 miles on it and its performed perfectly. I've been considering a pre-owned 19/20 Odyssey Elite but I am on the fence after reading reviews on them. Id only look at a model with the 10 speed transmission as opposed to the 9 speed. I drove a 2019 Touring, seemed to be a nice van with great safety features but I couldn't help notice the interior materials feel a lesser grade than in my 14 and the 14 had a lesser feeling interior than the 08 Odyssey I traded in. The 08 had almost an Acura quality interior on it. Anyone have experience with a new Odyssey? Can I expect it to be as good as my 14? My 14 was pretty decked out back then with blind spot, lane departure warning and other features. I added the NavTool Apple CarPlay interface to it to update the infotainment tech. Id love a newer van, but I have been very skeptical after reading reviews. I do like the Chrysler Pacifica as well, but my last 3 vans were Hondas so Id prefer to stay in the Honda Family.

The larger Subaru?

I actually replaced the plugs at 55K because I read they could cold weld to the block....I was shocked not a single one was fouled. I have a friend with a 11 that consumes oil....mine so far doesn't use a drop, I change it when the maintenance minder tells me to.

If you read the latest automotive and consumer reviews, overall the Honda auto brand has suffered in quality control, reliability and customer satisfaction in the past few years. It's why I'm holding onto my 2007 Ridgeline, and I've owned many Hondas and Acuras since 1990. In your case, I'd stand pat and enjoy the 2014 Odyssey.

I considered the Ascent, my Wife really likes those! I like having a van for the sliding doors and the added cargo room of a van when I need to haul stuff. We also looked at the Pilot, Pathfinder and Acadia as well. I keep going back to another Odyssey.

So, your Odyssey is made well, suits your needs, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and has been completely reliable.

And you want to replace it?

Why?

Im wanting to replace it because in about another year, year and a half, I am going to have the expensive timing belt service done and it will need tires, brakes, struts and stuff about the same time. Would rather get rid of it now because its harder to get rid of something that needs a couple 2-3 grand in repair a year or so down the road.

Im wanting to replace it because in about another year, year and a half, I am going to have the expensive timing belt service done and it will need tires, brakes, struts and stuff about the same time. Would rather get rid of it now because its harder to get rid of something that needs a couple 2-3 grand in repair a year or so down the road.

This is true if you're selling a vehicle privately. But if you're trading in, it doesn't matter because the dealer will send it to auction anyway.

Huh ? The timing belt typically isn't due until 105k and it's a $1000 service at most Honda dealers. Struts aren't a maintenance item so I wouldn't be planning to replace them unless they're failing. Brakes are nothing special and if you can DIY, that's something that can easily be under $250-300. Not sure about the other "stuff".

It sounds like you are looking for reasons to get rid of it to justify the shiny, new Odyssey that you have little good to say about....

2021 Sienna with standard hybrid powertrain looks pretty good to me. Maybe keep the ody a couple more years to see how the new Siennas work out.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Huh ? The timing belt typically isn't due until 105k and it's a $1000 service at most Honda dealers. Struts aren't a maintenance item so I wouldn't be planning to replace them unless they're failing. Brakes are nothing special and if you can DIY, that's something that can easily be under $250-300. Not sure about the other "stuff".

It sounds like you are looking for reasons to get rid of it to justify the shiny, new Odyssey that you have little good to say about....

Yeah sounds the same to me. All that is a lot cheaper than a car payment.

If you want the new van that's great go for it, but you're never going to financially justify getting rid of a reliable well maintained 2014 for a 2019 anything.

Originally Posted by Astro14
So, your Odyssey is made well, suits your needs, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and has been completely reliable.

And you want to replace it?

Why?

This. If your current vehicle is perfectly fine you aren't doing much by getting a newer version of the same vehicle except blowing money.

I'd stick with the hand you have. I don't know much but I have heard a few people talking about how Honda quality has been slipping. Don't know if it is true but you may wanna ask around.

My Lexus mechanic said their quality has really done down on many of their models in the last few years.
21.gif

I guess when you believe all the competition is way below you, you figure you got a little room to play with.

I'd hang onto it unless it's another make/model you're after.

My wife absolutely loved our 2008 Oddy LX even though it had the most issues of any of the make/model MVs we owned. We owned it from new until 2013 and about 80K miles.

HAHA!

Just say you want something with that new-car smell still lingering and quit trying to justify to us, of all people, that the vehicle needs or should be replaced.

I remember laughing at my mom when she said she wanted to replace her five year-old Lexus because the brakes were worn out. I couldn't talk her out of it. She got the same model design, with the only change being color and a pin stripe (oh, and two year newer brakes...) Ridiculous!

Not to quote Consumer Reports, but isn't their mantra that repairing almost always makes more financial sense than buying new. Don't think those upcoming service items are that offsetting. That is if you still like the car and aren't tempted by all the new electronic goodies.

Last edited:
As long as it's not rusty, I'd hang on to it and do the $3K in maintenance. Otherwise, you're going to take a loss on it anyway and a dealer is going to make a ton of money on it.

Back