Replacement Pittsburgh Jack stands also failing!

Just read an article with pictures of the replacement jack stands offered by Harbor Freight, for the ones that were recalled due to poor machining of the "ratchet post".

This time they are failing at the weld in the upper web of the stand. It appears that there is no support strap tying the leg portions together under tension. This lets the legs spread under load resulting in a cracked weld. I see this as a potential for catastrophic failure of the stand, and difficult to detect without CLOSE inspection. To make matters worse there is a label stuck right over the welded part!

Should we read too much into single point data? Yeah I'd hate for that to happen to me, but millions of these jackstands are out there, seemingly without issue (recalled ones aside).

Maybe I'll just wait a little longer to return my recalled jack stands and rebuy jack stands at HF.

Yeah, single data point, which comes back to my main gripe with HF products, that every other widget has some random defect that lack of Quality Control didn't catch. This is why I won't buy anything from them where failure causes significant loss, including anything that plugs into a wall outlet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by supton
Should we read too much into single point data? Yeah I'd hate for that to happen to me, but millions of these jackstands are out there, seemingly without issue (recalled ones aside).

Did you look at the pictures? You really think that was the only stand with a pretty decent looking weld that was actually garbage? Their whole process is trash.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

Did you look at the pictures? You really think that was the only stand with a pretty decent looking weld that was actually garbage? Their whole process is trash.

I do not trust HF JS anymore. They had their chance to correct it, and didn't.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if the 6 ton model they currently sell which replaced the recalled 6 ton stands they were selling are bad too?

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I wonder if the 6 ton model they currently sell which replaced the recalled 6 ton stands they were selling are bad too?

That's the joke. That's the replacement.

Replacement Jack Stands Immediately Failed Too

I hear ya. My 6 ton stands where not part of the recall, the prior generation were, so I hope. I'll be on the lookout to see if the 6 ton stands I have will be recalled.

Originally Posted by CT8
Harbor freight ,,you usually get exactly what you pay for.

Actually a LOT of their stuff is an excellent value for the money.
Just don't depend on Chinese quality for mission critical items.
Those 6.5 hp Predator engines are awesome for go karts / OPE and only 99 bucks.

Back