Not another "Hybrid Full Synthetic" motor oil? This time Valvoline

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Yes... another one.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Well, they can't be caught not offering a product that their competitor offers (even if the more saavy customer knows it's nothing more than a 0W-20)! Once Pennzoil did it, it was only a matter of time before the others started to follow suit.
02.gif

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Originally Posted by Slick17601
How did we ever survive with the only choices being conventional and synthetic?

lol.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

[email protected]...... on the thick side.
Sits right inside 5w20 range and better cold starting properties.

I'd like to see an additive chart that differentiates Valvoline regular Syn 0w20 - this hybrid 0w20 and Wemay's Valvoline [Euro] XL-IV C5 0W-20.

The comparisons would be interesting to read.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
[email protected]...... on the thick side.
Sits right inside 5w20 range and better cold starting properties.

I'd like to see an additive chart that differentiates Valvoline regular Syn 0w20 - this hybrid 0w20 and Wemay's Valvoline [Euro] XL-IV C5 0W-20.

The comparisons would be interesting to read.

Here's the PI sheet for the Valvoline XL-IV C5 0W-20

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Daughter's 2008 Prius is a 5W30 and my 2012 Hybrid Lincoln is a 5W20. Without the 0W20 I guess they should have been destroyed by now

RAV4 Hybrid running fine on Rotella Gas Truck 0w20. Just as good as TGMO that wasn't labeled hybrid oil.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Well, they can't be caught not offering a product that their competitor offers (even if the more saavy customer knows it's nothing more than a 0W-20)! Once Pennzoil did it, it was only a matter of time before the others started to follow suit.
02.gif

Pennzoil only does it in 0w16, geared towards the newest hybrids, where as Valvoline did it in 0w20 and 5w30, geared towards the older ones. Think that Valvoline made the better choice because 1. There are more of them. 2. Owners are on their own to do their oil changes. Most hybrids recommending 0w16 are still on a factory maintenance plan.

No I didn't say ANY of that.

Just looking for your evidence of a same or differing formulation.

Actually theta on rob1715 who made the 'same oil, different bottle' argument

And if toyota engines fail,running spec'd ILSAC lubricant ( which that have) - that's on TOYOTA
'
Boy you guys get worked up over NOTHING these days!

- Ken

Toyota has had a hybrid car for 23 years. I doubt, 23 years later, Toyota started clamoring for a hybrid-specific motor oil.

You reference the possible need for lubrication change to fix mechanical (oil burning) issues. I'll admit I'm not the most familiar with hybrids, as I've never owned one, but I've not read anywhere that oil burning was a problem in young, low mileage engines. This was a problem that cropped up at higher mileage. I'm assuming from all the starting and stopping the motor does. We can see this correlation when looking at engines with VCMs or DoDs. However, you don't see motor oils specifically calling out VCM/DoD, do you? I will once again ask you, though at this point I'm probably not going to get a response, what do you think a Hybrid engine needs from a special "Hybrid" 0W-20 that a normal, API licensed 0W-20 doesn't provide?

You're dancing around the biggest reason for this, whether you can "confirm this from your couch" or not, and it's what I referenced in my original post before you started getting emotional about this. Market share. Valvoline can't have Pennzoil corner the market on a "hybrid" motor oil (even if they're different viscosities, as was mentioned by NH73).

Originally Posted by JustN89
Toyota has had a hybrid car for 23 years. I doubt, 23 years later, Toyota started clamoring for a hybrid-specific motor oil.

You reference the possible need for lubrication change to fix mechanical (oil burning) issues. I'll admit I'm not the most familiar with hybrids, as I've never owned one, but I've not read anywhere that oil burning was a problem in young, low mileage engines. This was a problem that cropped up at higher mileage. I'm assuming from all the starting and stopping the motor does. We can see this correlation when looking at engines with VCMs or DoDs. However, you don't see motor oils specifically calling out VCM/DoD, do you? I will once again ask you, though at this point I'm probably not going to get a response, what do you think a Hybrid engine needs from a special "Hybrid" 0W-20 that a normal, API licensed 0W-20 doesn't provide?

You're dancing around the biggest reason for this, whether you can "confirm this from your couch" or not, and it's what I referenced in my original post before you started getting emotional about this. Market share. Valvoline can't have Pennzoil corner the market on a "hybrid" motor oil (even if they're different viscosities, as was mentioned by NH73).

You are sorta' barking up the wrong tree. If you want to know what makes Valvoline Hybrid Oil different, then contact Ash;and / Valvoline for answers.
This is an entirely new product that's too early in it's arrival, for answers to your questions.
Should Valvoline / Ashland reply to you, please let members here know the developments...... thanks.

You are sorta' barking up the wrong tree. If you want to know what makes Valvoline Hybrid Oil different, then contact Ash;and / Valvoline for answers.
This is an entirely new product that's too early in it's arrival, for answers to your questions.
Should Valvoline / Ashland reply to you, please let members here know the developments...... thanks.

Valvoline is not Ashland and has not been for quite a while now.

From what I can tell on the Valvoline website, this oil comes in 0w20 only.

Considering that Toyota has gone to 0w16 that's a misstep on Valvoline's part. I believe the newer model hybrids use 0w16.

Back