Recommendation for 2013 Honda Pilot w/ 56k miles

We are the original owners of our 2013 Honda Pilot. Currently it has 56k miles.

Looking for recommendations for which coolant to use.

Recently I did an oil change, ATF change and about to do a complete f/r brake job.

Now I want to change out the coolant since the vehicle is about to reach 7 years old.

What is the general BITOG consensus regarding coolant for Honda 3.5 V6's in this year range?

So far I have found: Zerex Asian Blue, Peak Global and Peak OET Asian Blue.

Of the 3, what is recommended?

Any other coolant you would suggest?

Thanks!

Prior to the new OET coolants(in specific colors) hitting the market from PEAK & Prestone...
Zerex Asian Blue or Red and PEAK Global LifeTime were the prefered aftermarket coolants to use if not using OE coolants from your specific dealer.

Personally, I'd say that any of the 3 would be fine/perfect. However, if color is important to you then use either the Zerex Asian BLUE or PEAK OE Asian BLUE(Honda/Nissan).

PEAK Global Lifetime(yellow-mixes with any color) is also a fine coolant and I've used it in many Asian & domestic vehicles from GM, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota/Lexus.

Currently(last month) I started using the new PEAK 10X Full Strength(yellow) in the Altima & Civic in my signature. I mixed it myself 50/50 with distilled water from Walmart. It too is a non 2eha, non silicate, nitrate, borate, phosphate etc. formula.

However, if I were to place all of these in order of preference to use(plus some others not listed), it would go like this:

1) Honda Genuine(or whatever your OE is)
2) PEAK or Prestone OET formulas in OE specific chemestries & colors(I think this is replacing PEAK GTL...below)
3) Zerex Asian(Blue or Red)
4) Peak Global LifeTime(GLT)
5) Peak 10X(I think this is replacing Peak Long Life...below)
6) Peak Long Life(All Makes/All Models)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Islandvic
We are the original owners of our 2013 Honda Pilot. Currently it has 56k miles.

Looking for recommendations for which coolant to use.

Recently I did an oil change, ATF change and about to do a complete f/r brake job.

Now I want to change out the coolant since the vehicle is about to reach 7 years old.

What is the general BITOG consensus regarding coolant for Honda 3.5 V6's in this year range?

So far I have found: Zerex Asian Blue, Peak Global and Peak OET Asian Blue.

Of the 3, what is recommended?

Any other coolant you would suggest?

Thanks!

Honda Genuine Coolant (Type II).

I use Zerex Asian in my Hondas w/o issue.

That being said - Coolant changes are done so infrequently that you can't go wrong with paying a few more bucks for OEM Honda Blue.

Other than engine oil, and washer fluid I use all honda fluids in my honda.

Bernardi auto parts does a good job of helping you and has reasonable prices 95% of the time.

UD

Another good choice is Pentofrost A3
smile.gif

Zerex Asian Blue is also good

I looked at the aftermarket stuff for my Tacoma. It was the same price as oe. I prefer oe although a little pricey considering how often it's changed it's really not too bad.

I'd stick to Honda or Zerex if you still have OEM fill.

Now, if any major cooling work is planned and if the system needs to be flushed, Prestone can be considered. Except for 2-EHA and decanoic acid as the OAT part, Prestone Cor-Guard does meet the definition of a Japanese-style pHOAT.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

However, if I were to place all of these in order of preference to use(plus some others not listed), it would go like this:

1) Honda Genuine(or whatever your OE is)
2) PEAK or Prestone OET formulas in OE specific chemestries & colors(I think this is replacing PEAK GTL...below)
3) Zerex Asian(Blue or Red)
4) Peak Global LifeTime(GLT)
5) Peak 10X(I think this is replacing Peak Long Life...below)
6) Peak Long Life(All Makes/All Models)

Agree on #1. Id swap #2 and 3 - my understanding was that Zerex was true to the chemistry, while the Prestone might be recolored 2-EHA dex clone (maybe thats not true)

I see no reason to swap to a different chemistry when the Honda type fluid doesnt include any of the undesirables (EHA), and seems to work well...

Pentofrost in my TL and Zerex in the Accord. Coolant gets changed when the timing belt/waterpump gets done. Radiators are as clean as a whistle and so is everything else that you can see in the engine when you take the pumps out.

I have no problem using any of the 'clones' or real Honda coolant. I just don't worry about it that much. PS fluid is about the only thing I make sure comes with a Honda sticker on it these days.

I’ll be honest with you, coolant is something you only change once every 100,000 miles or so and because of this...because it’s not like oil where you’re charging it every 4,000-6,000 miles, I just don’t mess around with it. I just suggest OE fluid. So I’d just use Genuine Honda coolant, no worries, no second guessing, no nothing. You just change it, don’t worry about mixing it with this or that...don’t worry about compatibility. You just spend an extra $5 bucks and be done with it for the next five years. It really is that simple.

I have run into independent shops that only now use genuine coolant for whatever car they are servicing. I’ve asked...isn’t that a pain for you? And they reply, it’s just not worth the trouble of mixing coolants and chancing something going wrong. Or having a customer come back because the color looks dark and murky (when mixing two different coolants). Or going through the trouble of flushing or trying to loosen block drains (no one does that anyway).

And Honda blue coolant is pretty highly rated anyway.

Honda genuine coolant or Zerex Asian blue. I got a deal on the zerex at Napa, and am running it our 2014 odyssey with about the same mileage as OP. No issues, as one would expect. I only run Honda in my accord hybrid, just in case there is some very specific additive necessary for the inverter...

Back