Gear oil in transfer case instead of atf...

So here is the scoop...

2011 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 153xxxkm decided to get the fluid changed in the front and rear differentials along with the transmission fluid and transfer case. Brought it to a repituable shop in town. Anways when I go to pick up the vehicle I noticed they didnt use synthetic gear oil like my manual states to use but a conventional with a additive? Also says I believe 90w oil in my transfer case when my manual says to use atf fluid? Eveything runs and drives fine just was kinda thrown off... should I dump the 90w oil in my transfer case to replace with atf?
Thanks for any imput....

So much for 'reputable' shop that doesn't follow manufacturer's recommendations or requirements, they are not that smart either since this opens up a chance for a law suite which may simply bankrupt them.

its possible they made a mistake on the documentation but indeed at least check the fluid to see if it is indeed 90 weight thats in it

I'd have them dump it. Honestly, you're going to need to do a few drain and fills so might as well have them do the first to flush it out.

This is off a 2011 Grande Cherokee owners manual and should also apply to the Laredo AFAIK. It agrees with the OP's assessment.

35B9D7EB-8DEF-4E8B-9945-955B824EE7CC.png

In this modern era, I'm surprised that most shops don't have some system where you scan the vehicle bar code or input the VIN or at least the model and it prints you a list of lubes and capacities.

My use-at-home Blue Driver scanner which was maybe a hundred bucks (?) lets you grab the VIN with phone camera and it knows exactly what the vehicle is. So it's not exactly mega dollar data base stuff. If you prevented one screw up like the OP describes, it's probably paid for.

Last edited:
Updated...

I called the shop this morning I explained my concerns.. he talked about how 80 or 90 w oil once it warms up is thin and he thinks transmission fluid is too thin he claims it's like water. Anways he said to make my mind at ease to bring it in the morning and [censored] dump it and put the aft fluid in it.. I asked if he thought the aft was too watery or thin why would to factory use it? Anways now my question is how many drain and fills until this crap is out?

Originally Posted by Mattz
Anways now my question is how many drain and fills until this crap is out?

Just one should do it.

Originally Posted by Mattz
Updated...

I called the shop this morning I explained my concerns.. he talked about how 80 or 90 w oil once it warms up is thin and he thinks transmission fluid is too thin he claims it's like water. Anways he said to make my mind at ease to bring it in the morning and [censored] dump it and put the aft fluid in it.. I asked if he thought the aft was too watery or thin why would to factory use it? Anways now my question is how many drain and fills until this crap is out?

Sounds like it's time for a new shop.

Back