Supertech SAE 30 Oil Any Good?

Hello,

I found this oil at my oval Walmart and never seen it before - not sure if I've just missed it or it's new/repackaged. Anyhow, I use a straight 30 in my Kohler K series and Onan garden tractors and wondering how well this would work. I'm currently using John Deere Torq-Guard SAE 30 and like it.

The 5 litre jug is labelled Diesel Engine Oil SAE 30 with API service CF-2/SG. The Kohler manual says go with an SAE 30 with an SG rating so this will definitely fit the bill. Is anyone using this oil? Any thoughts on this stuff and if it's any good? I'd switch over to it as it is quite a bit cheaper and I perform oil changes often.

Thanks

5656D867-DE2F-4BC8-91A6-CF3FADA71A98.jpeg

857260ED-A1D0-443E-8B17-5E8B3E59A916.jpeg

Originally Posted by MJ_Massey
Hello,

I found this oil at my oval Walmart and never seen it before - not sure if I've just missed it or it's new/repackaged. Anyhow, I use a straight 30 in my Kohler K series and Onan garden tractors and wondering how well this would work. I'm currently using John Deere Torq-Guard SAE 30 and like it.

The 5 litre jug is labelled Diesel Engine Oil SAE 30 with API service CF-2/SG. The Kohler manual says go with an SAE 30 with an SG rating so this will definitely fit the bill. Is anyone using this oil? Any thoughts on this stuff and if it's any good? I'd switch over to it as it is quite a bit cheaper and I perform oil changes often.

Thanks

I bought this in the 18.9L barrel, thinking maybe I'd use it in all 3 vehicles in the hot summer months, but the lack of specs of information I could find on it led me to use it only as a very inexpensive flush oil....so I could leave the high quality oil filter on a second go, without leaving any old oil in the engine. Drain, then put about 4qts back in, run for a half a minute and drain again. Then put my quality synthetic in.

Maybe if it had been an sn rated sae 30 or something, but I couldn't find anything here about it. I did actually leave it in the Caprice and it's running fine on it. I'll change it when the temperature starts to drop.

It's a decent oil for the price, I bought a 15W40 1 gal jug yesterday at Wal-mart for $9.97.
Mobil Delvac Super 1300 was 10.97. Super Tech is just as good in my opinion.

Originally Posted by doolah02
It's a decent oil for the price, I bought a 15W40 1 gal jug yesterday at Wal-mart for $9.97.

Might want to compare the list of builder approvals, which one is factory fill on the DMax, and which one is in CAT drums.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by doolah02

Might want to compare the list of builder approvals, which one is factory fill on the DMax, and which one is in CAT drums.

Also that 15w40 maybe the sn rated not SG. This SG CF 30 weight meets the spec of my 1983 Caprice and 76 Olds 350 but not many modern engines. The bottle even warns that it may not protect any vehicle newer than 1996 against wear and sludge or something along those lines.

I was buying SuperTech SAE-HD30 for misc things … it's actually SN Plus … but appears to be going away.
Seemed like a great product but must have been a slow mover.

Good to know. Yes, the bottle does say "Warning: not suitable for use in gasoline engine built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up if engine sludge, oxidation, or wear."

Sounds like you are located in Ontario as well?

Originally Posted by Chris142
That oil is designed with the old 2 stroke Detroit Diesels in mind.
DD 2 strokes use a 40 wt.

Good to know. Yes, the bottle does say "Warning: not suitable for use in gasoline engine built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up if engine sludge, oxidation, or wear."

That is because it is API SG and SG is an obsolete license.

You can find better, something that is a monograde but API SN or even SN PLUS.

My local Walmart has SuperTech 30-wt that isn't diesel rated in the OPE section, but I didn't look to see what the specs were. Next time I'm there, I'll investigate further.

Sounds like you are located in Ontario as well?

Yes, Kingston Ontario. I was looking for information on this stuff a couple weeks ago after I bought it at Walmart. I'd probably trust the sn plus stuff a lot more, since it actually has to meet modern specs.

Chim in in VOA/UOA section...or go on PQIA website.... you would be surprised that modern 20w50 oils have ZDDP levels around 800ppm +/-

I know this isn't reliable evidence, but I noticed this straight 30 weight SG oil looked very light in color compared to the Mobil 1 EP. I feel like I've read somewhere that the additives make the color darker, so it makes me wonder if there are less overall additives in this old oil? Since there are no VOA or uoa available I have nothing else to go by.

Even in my old engine's i would rather have a modern oil that can meet modern specs. A little more zddp would be preferable but meeting sn is probably a safer bet than going with a 30+ year old spec.

Originally Posted by bchannell
I'd be ok with it in any OPE. Older specs are normally higher ZDDP etc

That's what I was wondering as well.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Even in my old engine's i would rather have a modern oil that can meet modern specs. A little more zddp would be preferable but meeting sn is probably a safer bet than going with a 30+ year old spec.

So for these old engines, would you go with an SJ rated SAE30 instead? Or would you jump to the latest SN rated SAE30?

Despite lower phosphorus limits the later licenses do not exhibit higher wear. SN and above demonstrates better oxidation and deposit resistance which is important for OPE.

Back