New vehicle purchase, but build date 7/19

Purchased a new leftover ‘19 Ridgeline with a build date that's almost a year old. Should I really run the factory fill until the typical 15% oil life that Honda recommends? A little worried with the oil being almost a year old.

Last edited:
The first oil change needs to be done a year after your vehicle was manufactured, not a year after you purchased it. Therefore, your vehicle is due an oil change on July 1, 2020, regardless of the mileage.

Dealers will honor free oil changes a year after the manufacture date, regardless of the mileage or purchase date.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
The first oil change needs to be done a year after your vehicle was manufactured, not a year after you purchased it. Therefore, your vehicle is due an oil change on July 1, 2020, regardless of the mileage.

Dealers will honor free oil changes a year after the manufacture date, regardless of the mileage or purchase date.

+1 I'd make sure to have it done.

What Gokhan said. I'd have them change it.

Congrats.
cheers3.gif

I would be more concerned about how long the dealer will address the new truck warranty, versus worrying about the oil change.
Make sure the dealer allows you the entire warranty length, despite the vehicle already officially a year-old. Get the assurance in writing.

Technically, Gokhan is right. But the undriven new oil is fine. I'd leave it in for 3k - then use your free oil change allowance(s)..

The new vehicle warranties start on the in-service day, so as long as it was purchased as a new vehicle, the OP is fine

Not sure why some think a new vehicle comes with a free oil change. Unless the dealer is providing it, Honda does not come with any type of free maintenance. Other manufacturers do but it is not industry wide to do so.

Hold on!

In recent years past, Honda did have a factory fill with loads of moly, IIRC. I would want that moly if its still there. Year old oil in a new vehicle should be pristine, since there is no old contaminates present.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Hold on!

In recent years past, Honda did have a factory fill with loads of moly, IIRC. I would want that moly if its still there. Year old oil in a new vehicle should be pristine, since there is no old contaminates present.

I agree....I'd go by the mileage on the vehicle at purchase....if it's less than say....25 or 30 miles....that's a brand new vehicle and the factory oil should be fine (even though it sat for a year). If this was any other make I'd change it at 3K but being a Honda with the high moly factory oil...I'd change it a 5K.

When I store a car I change the oil.....if I take it out of storage a year later I don't change the oil again because the oil in the car is fresh already....

Last edited:
If the vehicle sat on a lot for a length of time, I would change it.

"Lot Rot" is a real thing and affects batteries and fluids. Most dealers around here rearrange their lots often which means super-short tripping for most of these cars. Here in WI I see dealers start the cars and let them run for an hour to get snow off the cabin instead of grabbing a brush.

My personal experience with my TourX is that it was built 09/18 and I bought it 08/19. Made in Germany means it took short trips to transports, lots, docks, ships, lots, transports, dealer lot. It sat in the sun its entire life while collecting any environmental crud. I'm sure the battery was in a constant state of discharge. I had a 1 1/2 drive home then attached it to a 3.3A CTEK charger. When I awoke the next morning it was still charging.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Hold on!

Yep. OP, good luck with your Ridgeline. Mine has been outstanding.

Honda recently incorporated a time component into the Maintenance Minder system. Some models have this, but not all. The system will now countdown based on time and mileage. This was a very very recent change.

I recently did an oil change on 19 CR-V that had only been driven for a few months and was then parked for 4-5 months. The car was approaching the 1-yr build date anniversary and the maintenance minder had dropped to 30%.

7B67C0B3-15D7-4EAF-BD82-DA2BF6676E3B.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought a left over 2019 VW Golf Alltrack that has a 3/19 build date. The oil change service light was on because the car has been at the dealer for over a year. They reset the light but I changed the oil and filter when I got home.

We have covered this before. Including an analysis of 3 year old factory fill at the 15,000 mi Porsche Service. Analysis basically said it was ready for another 3 years and 15,000 mi.

I don't know about Honda but Ford's service intervals are 1 year after in service date and the IOLM is supposed to be reset during predelivery inspection.

A new engine is basically a pristine storage container for the oil so it should suffer little degradation while sitting on the lot.

Beyond over thinking this. My last car I purchased new in October 2018 and it was manufactured September 2017. Just drive it and change at normal intervals.

Back