Self Serve U-Wrench Shop

I would love something like that. I can use the lifts here at work, but I try to avoid it unless necessary. However here the insurance required would put them out of business.

I've used that one in Calgary and the owners are super helpful the times I've been there. First time I figure I wanted to learn how to mount & balance tires myself. After watching a bunch of Youtube and studying the theory, I thought I had the concept down in my head really well...but when it came down to using the machine I sure as heck struggled. The nice lady there showed me how to do my first tire. With these being larger heavy duty truck tires, I struggled ALOT with the rest of the tires and definitely felt bad with how much help I asked for. In the end it took me over an hour to do all four tires and $50. The tire machine definitely seemed to be popular there, but to be honest it's not really worth it trying to do tires yourself to save a few $$.

In the end, it's a pretty good deal for the customer trying to access specialty tools like the hydraulic press and tire machine especially considering how helpful the owners were. But I really don't see how they make money because when you have an average Joe customer go in, they can easily hurt themselves or spend a whole bunch of time there and/or require alot of support.

I'd be happy just to find a space where I could park and work without attracting unwanted attention. No lift or rental tools needed.

Originally Posted by JustN89
There was a DIY shop here in DFW that was really good. Worked the same way- rent a lift, some tools available, etc. Unfortunately, it closed down last December. Just not enough traffic, I suppose. I'd imagine there's a lot of overhead you'd have to clear. I love places like these just because there's a lot of stuff I can't do in my apartment's parking lot, but they don't seem to be able to stick around for long.

Was it over in Plano right off 75? I seem to remember seeing a place there I thought might be one of these joints, but I never took advantage of it unfortunately.

I am in need of a lift quite often to make things I do easier, but I just didn't think about those place when doing the work. Now they are [censored] down it sounds like and I wish I had given them some business even more.

Originally Posted by brages
I would make a ton of mistakes from hurrying if I was using a $30/hr shop.

I looked at it the other way.

For 30 an hour, I could sleep well knowing everything was addressed correctly because I took my time.
As a result, the repair job was still done at a price cheaper than if I had a shop do it.

Back