84 Cutlass, random picture

I was just out for a drive, looking for a shovel I left behind working the other day, and the car looked perfect for a photo. I couldn't resist sharing.

IMG_20200615_194723.jpg

Nice! I would have taken the same photo too, sometimes you just have to.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I would love to have that sitting in my garage!

Thanks! Too bad I don't have a garage to put it in. It sits in the driveway. It goes in my friends barn for the winter but I drive it to work most days all summer, and on any long trips we take. For a 36 year old car it's a decent daily driver.

that's one of my dream cars... if only i wasn't always functionally broke....

Grandpa was an Olds guy, and my big brother had a 79 Grand Prix... put the 2 together, G-body Olds.

Last edited:
I absolutely love a G-body. Something about those cars is just cool, even if they were under-appreciated (outside the turbo Regal's and GN's). Are you running the stock 350 Olds? I always likes the BOP small blocks, they're just that much more unique than your run of the mill SBC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
I absolutely love a G-body. Something about those cars is just cool, even if they were under-appreciated (outside the turbo Regal's and GN's). Are you running the stock 350 Olds? I always likes the BOP small blocks, they're just that much more unique than you're run of the mill SBC.

Yeah, it's just a stock 350 Olds, pulled from the junkyard in 2007. It has an edelbrock performer intake and headers but otherwise stock. I also swapped in an overdrive transmission and 2.93 gears. It's not a powerhouse but it will do good donuts and get good gas mileage on the highway.

Long term maybe I'll LS swap it, but for now it doesn't seem like the engine is going to wear out anytime soon.

Originally Posted by earlyre

Grandpa was an Olds guy, and my big brother had a 79 Grand Prix... put the 2 together, G-body Olds.

Thanks. My dream car used to be a 72 442, now it's probably just my current car with some nicer rims and a lot of upgrades. I've been driving the same car since 2007, and before that it was an 87 Cutlass I bought when I was 18. I'm 36 now. I always have an 80s b body Caprice for my winter beater.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Thanks. My dream car used to be a 72 442, now it's probably just my current car with some nicer rims and a lot of upgrades. I've been driving the same car since 2007, and before that it was an 87 Cutlass I bought when I was 18. I'm 36 now. I always have an 80s b body Caprice for my winter beater.

It just gets better! My one and only B-body was a '91 Caprice with the 5.0 TBI. Terrible car (by no fault of it's own) but boy did I love driving it. There's just something about driving a rolling couch that can't be beat. Those car's do nothing well, but everything satisfactory.

It just gets better! My one and only B-body was a '91 Caprice with the 5.0 TBI. Terrible car (by no fault of it's own) but boy did I love driving it. There's just something about driving a rolling couch that can't be beat. Those car's do nothing well, but everything satisfactory.

I can't argue with that. What it does best is just continue to run year after year, with almost no money put into it. My 83 only has 240k miles, but the last one I had to scrap 10 years ago was an 89 TBI 5.0 with 332k miles. It ran great still but the floor and frame rusted out. My 83 is still like new underneath.

I can't argue with that. What it does best is just continue to run year after year, with almost no money put into it. My 83 only has 240k miles, but the last one I had to scrap 10 years ago was an 89 TBI 5.0 with 332k miles. It ran great still but the floor and frame rusted out. My 83 is still like new underneath.

That's the awesome thing about those old boats, just like Panther cars. Rust is far and beyond that kills them, long before the running gear gives out. Are they fancy? Tightly screwed together? Top of the line, ahead of the curve? Absolutely not. That's why they WORK. With so little to go wrong, it's almost impossible to have a catastrophic and expensive failure.

Sure is nice and thanks for sharing. My friend has a black 87 Regal turbo t-type that he bought new. It gets driven 6 months out of the year and now has 72k miles on it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Sure is nice and thanks for sharing. My friend has a black 87 Regal turbo t-type that he bought new. It gets driven 6 months out of the year and now has 72k miles on it.
cheers3.gif

That's amazing. I'd love to have one of those even though I'm more of a V8 guy. His is going to be worth a ton of money one day though.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Except for the intake manifold gasket having to be changed like clockwork every year and a half, I loved my Cutlass.

Mine came with a 305 Chevy engine (Canadian spec) with a cast iron intake, which never leak. With the aluminum edelbrock intake I did unfortunately have to replace the intake gasket after 11 years and 100k miles, once it had the aluminum intake on it.

I'd say there was something wrong if a factory aluminum intake kept on leaking every year and a half. They were prone to leaking, but only after well over 10 years.

Mine had the Olds 307. Others at the time were having similar problems around where I lived at the time who had the same model. Most just sold them and got something else. I kept mine for 7 years. The gasket would expand and contract until it warped. I think GM fixed the problem on later models. As it was I still sold it for what I paid for it. I wouldn't mind having another with the 305.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Mine had the Olds 307. Others at the time were having similar problems around where I lived at the time who had the same model. Most just sold them and got something else. I kept mine for 7 years. The gasket would expand and contract until it warped. I think GM fixed the problem on later models. As it was I still sold it for what I paid for it. I wouldn't mind having another with the 305.

I had an 87 Caprice with the 307 with aluminum intake and it had the intake gasket replaced at some point in its life, but it never had an issue again while I had it. I bought it with 230,000kms I think and replaced it at 275,000kms about 5 or 6 years later. I had given it to my girlfriend at that time and she finally got a newer car. I've heard of the ones with the aluminum intake needing gaskets replaced but usually only once per lifetime of the car. It's something that is likely to happen to almost any engine with cast iron heads and aluminum intake manifold.

The other 307 I had was an 83 Delta 88 but it has a cast iron intake as does my friends 84. That might have been a Canadian model thing though. Just like how ours has no computer controls on most models through 1987.

Back