air filter change

My daughter bought the Mini in my sig last spring with 30,000 miles. She had a friend that "knows a lot about Minis" do some routine maintenance. I was doing some cosmetic work on it and decided to check a few things. This is what I found when I pulled the air filter. A bunch of crud fell off the lower left before I could take a picture. Although it is packed with oily dirt and bugs, the air box was clean. Go figure.
[Linked Image]

That's a lot of dirt for 30k miles. Surprised it wasn't throwing codes.

Inspecktor
Does this filter have 30k on it - or the 44k that's in your Signature?

My Hyundai 2.4 GDI needs an air filter at 12k. One-third of it looks pretty dirty and the other 2/3rds looks almost new. I ordered a Wix online for around $13.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Inspecktor
Does this filter have 30k on it - or the 44k that's in your Signature?

My Hyundai 2.4 GDI needs an air filter at 12k. One-third of it looks pretty dirty and the other 2/3rds looks almost new. I ordered a Wix online for around $13.

It was supposed to be changed, but wasn't. I would guess original equipment. Since my daughter picked it up, it has been run in mainly urban and suburban environments.

Originally Posted by samven
She needs to fire that friend. You might want to take a look at anything he was suppose to do.

I am going over everything. Just finished the brakes, transmission service is due up next.

Originally Posted by oldhp
It was just now hitting it's filtering top efficiency percentage.
33.gif

lol.gif

Yeah exactly... It's like 99.999999999999999999999% efficiency now
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Leo99
That's a lot of dirt for 30k miles. Surprised it wasn't throwing codes.
Right. It must've been operated in a very dirty environment. I've run air filters several times that far without getting remotely near that level of collected junk.

Your daughters friend may believe that routine maintenance is fluffing the fur on the Fuzzy Dice hanging from the mirror.

It's time for a man to young man talk about necessary maintenance.
I wish someone would have taught me sooner.

It should drive a lot better now. ESP after the trans fluid is changed along with a new air filter.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
My daughter bought the Mini in my sig last spring with 30,000 miles. She had a friend that "knows a lot about Minis" do some routine maintenance. I was doing some cosmetic work on it and decided to check a few things. This is what I found when I pulled the air filter. A bunch of crud fell off the lower left before I could take a picture. Although it is packed with oily dirt and bugs, the air box was clean. Go figure.
[Linked Image]

So called "friend" doesn't know squat about Minis or anything else if he didn't find that dirty air filter. Run away even if the help is free. You'll pay.

Just goes to show you how little air flow an engine really needs so the next time you pull your filter and think it needs changing remember this one.

That picture kinda looks like a cabin air filter to me. We are talking about the engine air filter, right? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

Originally Posted by DGXR
That picture kinda looks like a cabin air filter to me. We are talking about the engine air filter, right? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

That's what I was wondering...

The picture isn't the best but if you look close at the top and right side you can see the rubber seal. The cabin air filters for a Mini look long and narrow according to google.

engine air filter

Back