2002 Silverado 5.3L , LT, 2wd, Fuel Gauge/Fuel Pump

Our 2002 Silverado 5.3L (2wd), has an issue with the fuel gauge not reading correctly.

The fuel gauge doesn't register past the midway point when driving close to empty.
The fuel pump is already getting old and will need replacement sooner than later so I decided that it's best that I buy one and replace it as soon as possible.

Does replacing the fuel pump solve the issue with the fuel gauge not working properly?
Do all fuel pumps come with fuel sending units and is the sending unit the culprit to the fuel gauge not reading accurate?

Part# 19331263 (Fuel Pump Module Assembly) is popping up for our truck but not sure if it includes the sending unit which is part# 19416872.
Here are the last 8 on vin#, 21132497. Can provide full vin# if needed.

Do I buy these two part #'s separately?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

The fuel pump will solve the gauge issue. The pump comes with the sender, so you do not need a separate part.

I seem to remember the only part number differences being if the truck has calif emissions or not.
Double check the part number.

I advise to put Delco or Delphi parts on and not the no-name Chinese stuff.
You are only going to do this job once...

Also, I chose to unbolt the bed and prop it up to change out the fuel pump.
Much easier to do it this way. Look on Youtube.

This is a common problem with GM fuel gauge sending units. The potentiometer in the sending unit corrodes from the sulfur in the fuel. Try a double dose ot Techron or another PEA fuel injection cleaner and it may cause the gauge to read correctly.

As said above, GM fuel sending units of that era are very susceptible to poor quality fuel eating away at the contacts on the sending unit circuit board itself. That, combined with the relatively high pressure the pumps have to deliver (55-65 PSI consistently) can and does cause premature failure. Replace the entire unit with a QUALITY part (Delco or Delphi) and you'll be good to go.

Originally Posted by jhs914
This is a common problem with GM fuel gauge sending units. The potentiometer in the sending unit corrodes from the sulfur in the fuel. Try a double dose ot Techron or another PEA fuel injection cleaner and it may cause the gauge to read correctly.

+1

Changing the fuel pump and sending unit may fix it, it also can be a gauge cluster problem with the stepper motor.
Many early to late 2000 chevy owners have stepper motor problems it can effect any of your gauges.
Right now I have an erratic fuel gage on my tahoe. Everytime I fill up it goes to a different spot, mine will go way past full and sometimes strait down.
I'm gambling on a stepper motor on mine and will replace it one day.

Originally Posted by tblt44
Changing the fuel pump and sending unit may fix it, it also can be a gauge cluster problem with the stepper motor.
Many early to late 2000 chevy owners have stepper motor problems it can effect any of your gauges.
Right now I have an erratic fuel gage on my tahoe. Everytime I fill up it goes to a different spot, mine will go way past full and sometimes strait down.
I'm gambling on a stepper motor on mine and will replace it one day.

Afaik the instrument cluster issue only affected 2003-2006/7. My 05 has had a dead speedo for 5+ years and the volts gauge is now failing too. The 02 my work had and the 01 my friend has, plus a 2000 another coworker had with 420k miles on it were unaffected. They extended the warranty on them to a certain point also. Not that it can't happen, but it's unlikely on an 02. Also when they fail they head towards the top randomly until they just stay there permanently. My trucks been doing 240+km/h steadily for years.

I see that there are two different fuel pumps from AC Delco that fit my truck. When I enter my vin# on the AC Delco webpage I get AC Delco part #'s MU1613 and MU1614.
Part #MU1613 cross references with Genuine part #19331263, which was provided by dealer.

Amzn has both AC Delco part #'s but when I enter my vehicle information it indicates that MU1614 does not fit my truck.
I noticed that AC Delco part # MU1614 has some sort of sensor.

RockA only has MU1614 and details that it fits a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L.

Which AC Delco part# is the correct one?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Like others have said, possible cluster stepper motor issue, but if you are already suspecting a fuel pump issue, then replace it (sender and pump usually come as an assembly) then see. That way you at least take care of the fuel pump. Then if the gauge still has issues, deal with that next. I recently replaced mine, and the bed lift off method is easy, just take your time. the bed corners get close to the cab. and you have to lift it somewhat high to get the unit out. as far as parts, I recommend a Walbro fuel pump. Good upgrade from factory, good quality, and I didn't have to rewire my wire connections. Check Summit Racing..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-tu432hp-2/year/2002/make/chevrolet/model/silverado-1500

Even if you have to rewire your pigtail, I recommend this pump.. I first used an AC Delco and had to replace it a month later. I am sure it was not the norm as I usually have good luck with AC Delco parts, but after a little more looking and research, this pump turned out to be better quality and performance. Plus I didn't have to track down a bunch of part numbers. Its been working great on my truck for a while now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Redright9
Like others have said, possible cluster stepper motor issue, but if you are already suspecting a fuel pump issue, then replace it (sender and pump usually come as an assembly) then see. That way you at least take care of the fuel pump. Then if the gauge still has issues, deal with that next. I recently replaced mine, and the bed lift off method is easy, just take your time. the bed corners get close to the cab. and you have to lift it somewhat high to get the unit out. as far as parts, I recommend a Walbro fuel pump. Good upgrade from factory, good quality, and I didn't have to rewire my wire connections. Check Summit Racing..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-tu432hp-2/year/2002/make/chevrolet/model/silverado-1500

Even if you have to rewire your pigtail, I recommend this pump.. I first used an AC Delco and had to replace it a month later. I am sure it was not the norm as I usually have good luck with AC Delco parts, but after a little more looking and research, this pump turned out to be better quality and performance. Plus I didn't have to track down a bunch of part numbers. Its been working great on my truck for a while now.

I've had nothing but issues with AC Delco parts. 3 starters in a year and a half or so, first one lasted a month. If it's an OEM Delco part it should be fine but any of their normal aftermarket parts are usually junk, especially rebuilt stuff.

Walbro sounds like a good option though.

I think the difference between AC Delco 1613 and 1614 is the EVAP pressure sensor. 1613 has evaporative emissions, and the sensor, but 1614 doesn't. On Rockauto, the Delphi FG0053 has the sensor but AC Delco MU1614 does not.

If you can get your hand or a cell phone up above the pump, you should be able to tell which style you have. The EVAP pump will have two wire connectors. A couple of Rockauto listings include a 3-letter code, which you also might be able to see in a photo.

Whatever pump you get, you might need to wire up a new connector. The factory connector is square, but the new Delco, Delphi, and Denso pumps changed to an oval connector.

I have the same fuel level problem as you on my 2001. Techron didn't help, so I plan to track fuel with the odometer until the pump actually quits.

Edit: GM Partscenter.net has the OE #19331263 pump. Fuel Pump Link

Last edited:

Pre-facelift models used air-core motors not stepper motors which should be less susceptible to issues.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin

Pre-facelift models used air-core motors not stepper motors which should be less susceptible to issues.

That is probably why I've never seen a pre 03 with gauge issues.

Ended up buying a Genuine pump from gmwholesaledirect for $190.55 plus shipping.

Thanks for everyones input

Back