Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/40 motorcycle VOA

Castrol Power 1 4T motorcycle oil in 10W/40

Amazon had a great sale on the Castrol Power 1 4T a couple months ago and I got a case. They appear to have removed the Power Racing RS oil from the U.S. Market and was curious how this oil compared, or if it was the same and just given a different name. As the report shows, its no AMSOIL, Redline, or Motul, but it'll do it's job.

Tell me what you think.

M32653-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
I used the power racing RS in my BMW GS once, and never again. It consumed it to where I had to add oil 2x a month, and it was thick when cold so it cranked slow and was noticeably stiff the first mile.

Back to Mobile 1 15W50. Side effect, fuel mileage improved.

Rod

Interesting. I've experienced none of those "issues" mentioned above with my 2015 Triumph Trophy SE. As stated I believe the Power Racing RS is no longer available in the US and I have been using Power 1 4T since at least my first oil change after delivery. Not sure what the factory installed unless the first fill was at the dealer. I ride year-round but not much when below freezing and she always spins over as expected and I've never added a drop between fills. Of course, I'm just approaching 10000 miles so that could change after I keep adding miles to the odometer.

Thank You for the Report.. i bought this at $4/qt when it was on clearance at AZ..

Here is a report of the Actevo 10w40 4T as well to compare.

[Linked Image]

interesting Analysis of the Power 1 vs the Actevo. Apart from the possible base oil difference they are pretty much similar.

I guess both will do their job equally good. Actevo usually is cheaper to buy than Power1.

I bought 6 x 10W40 and 6 x 20w50 of 4T on sale half price for 22 HP JD tractors. I was expecting P1200 & Zn 1300, or there about.
I'll stick with CK-4 15W40 from now on. I guess the motorcycle on the label is worth $2.

Last edited:
Those two Castrol 10W40's look very similar in add pack with 50 ppm Moly, 60 ppm Boron and 1000 ppm Zinc, on a Ca & Mg detergent package.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I used the power racing RS in my BMW GS once, and never again. It consumed it to where I had to add oil 2x a month, and it was thick when cold so it cranked slow and was noticeably stiff the first mile.

Back to Mobile 1 15W50. Side effect, fuel mileage improved.

Rod

That's a bummer the bike consumed oil. Trying to understand if it was noticeably thick and caused hard cranking and was stiff when you start to ride, those are indications the oil has more viscosity and would be less prone to consumption.

The analysis above shows a flashpoint of 435 for virgin oil. Is that on the low side? I don't know so I'm sincerely asking the question.

I have attached my Used oil analysis of this oil. It only had about 1,300 miles on it. The report is not correct, the oil is 10w40 as the initial VOA shows, I'm not sure where they got 10w30 from, but that's not correct.

some context on what they were commenting on from my notes to them:
The oil when I was draining it appeared rather watery, granted the oil was HOT when I drained it. The previous UOA from the factory fill showed a bit of silica, along with some wear in metals (as noted on the farthest right column).
Overall I'm happy with the oil in the way that it performed, granted 1,300 miles isn't a lot. These 1,300 miles were a mix between commuting and longer ride.

I replace this fill with some 5w40 Motul 7100, which came up juuuust short of the sightglass line, so I added about .1 quart of leftover Power 1. This oil fill will be seeing some track time summer of 2021. Until then she's in winter hibernation. I also added pictures of the Dimple drain plug I added, with the thin film of metals it did catch.

When compared to the VOA we can see that the Viscosity at 210'F from 73.3 to 66.6 While the viscosity at 100'C from 13.82 to 12.05. TBN went from 7.1 to 6.9.

If anyone else has any observations please share. I think this is a fine oil, shame I didn't put more miles on the bike during the season.

20201106_154705.jpg
20201106_154750.jpg
19 Z900RS-201106 fixed (1)-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the VOAs and UOAs ... not too much to say on your report, the engine is so new and the oil at 1,300 miles is new too, I guess at least one could say there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with your break-in yet.
Im not familiar with Power 1, are you talking about Actevo in this UOA?? The same as the VOA above it???
Anyway, I like the "looks" of the Actevo VOA and I guess this last UOA. Not that looks based on these tests mean anything but the formula seems to lean towards an HDEO.
Just rambling here, thanks for posting. I never used Castrol in my bikes (not for any reason) but always wanted too. I mean its Castrol, good stuff.
Im not a fan of "exotic " labeled oils.
Ps. it would clear up confusion if you made sure the oil type was on the report. You did on the VOA but this last report says just "Castrol 10/30" Yes I know its 10/40 indicated by you ... but would help everyone if it said "Castrol Actevo 10/30" (or 40) so we dont have to hunt around trying to figure out which oil it is. There is some mention of power 1 in your post too, so I am just unsure what oil it is *LOL* except it seems to match up with your Castrol Actevo VOA ...
Im not sure the wisdom of switching around oil brands for no reason until you have a baseline, then again, it doesnt matter, its just oil but if your running UOAs you will always have a little of the last oil in the engine when you put yet another brand in and run a UOA on that .. then again, maybe your thinking of switching to Motul forever.
The magnetic plug looks pretty impressive for a new engine/trans/primary. I would have expected to see some larger shards of metal on the plug. If the plug was tilted towards the light source a little more it would have been easier to see the metal on it.

If your a believer in using a magnetic plug as I am, think about replacing it with a "goldplug.com" the power of the magnet on it is amazing, it may even pull some metal shards out of the pan that seem to be missing on this one .. :eek:) buys maybe there are none.
Ill never forget the shards of metal that came out of my Yamaha 1300 Tourer when I first installed a magnetic plug. It didnt come from the factory with one and these large shards must have just been sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. After one or two changes the magnet removed it all .

My current Harley came from the factory with a magnetic plug but I still switched it out with the much more powerful goldplug

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the VOAs and UOAs ... not too much to say on your report, the engine is so new and the oil at 1,300 miles is new too, I guess at least one could say there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with your break-in yet.
Im not familiar with Power 1, are you talking about Actevo in this UOA?? The same as the VOA above it???
Nope, this is Castrol Power 1 4T as stated in the title. This is the same oil as the VOA in the OG post #1.
Anyway, I like the "looks" of the Actevo VOA and I guess this last UOA. Not that looks based on these tests mean anything but the formula seems to lean towards an HDEO.
You must be referring to the reply by Krismoriah72, he posted a VOA of Actevo (post #4).
Just rambling here, thanks for posting. I never used Castrol in my bikes (not for any reason) but always wanted too. I mean its Castrol, good stuff.
Im not a fan of "exotic " labeled oils.
Ps. it would clear up confusion if you made sure the oil type was on the report. You did on the VOA but this last report says just "Castrol 10/30" Yes I know its 10/40 indicated by you ... but would help everyone if it said "Castrol Actevo 10/30" (or 40) so we dont have to hunt around trying to figure out which oil it is.
Post title says Castrol Power 1 4T 10W40; OG post #1 states Castrol Power 1 4T in the report picture too. Post #4 by Kris is the first mention of Actevo. My post #9 which is the UOA, is a follow up of to the original VOA post, as my first sentence in post #9 says. I think you might be confusing yourself, sorry. I also put on the card "Castrol Power 1 4T 10w40, so if they don't transpose that into the report PDF there isn't much I can do because it's their PDF, I just tried to write over the report that it is 10w40,not 10w30 as they recorded.
There is some mention of power 1 in your post too, so I am just unsure what oil it is *LOL* except it seems to match up with your Castrol Actevo VOA ...
Again, per title and VOA of the report where they both state Power 1, not Actevo.
Im not sure the wisdom of switching around oil brands for no reason until you have a baseline, then again, it doesnt matter, its just oil but if your running UOAs you will always have a little of the last oil in the engine when you put yet another brand in and run a UOA on that .. then again, maybe your thinking of switching to Motul forever.
I will be using this bike for track days and want a more robust additive package and oil that will withstand the abuse of track riding. I've had M1 start to fail on a non-track bike, but abusive v-twin sport bike on daily commuting, I switched that to Motul and it ran better than it did with the M1 or Amsoil for a longer interval. I'm not loyal to any one brand of oil. What performs best in the bike is what I'll get fed.
The magnetic plug looks pretty impressive for a new engine/trans/primary. I would have expected to see some larger shards of metal on the plug. If the plug was tilted towards the light source a little more it would have been easier to see the metal on it.
The plug is an aftermarket "Dimple" drain plug. I took multiple picture, and with the sun behind the camera it make the sheen of the oil/metallic flakes to bright to really perceive. I've looked into gold plug also but read a few reports of gold plugs using adhesive to hold the magnet to the plug, after several heat cycles the adhesive failed and the maginet fell out. I'm sure those are isolated cases, but the dimple also has a safety wire hold pre-drilled, which is required to be safety wired on track days anyway.
If your a believer in using a magnetic plug as I am, think about replacing it with a "goldplug.com" the power of the magnet on it is amazing, it may even pull some metal shards out of the pan that seem to be missing on this one .. :eek:) buys maybe there are none.
Ill never forget the shards of metal that came out of my Yamaha 1300 Tourer when I first installed a magnetic plug. It didnt come from the factory with one and these large shards must have just been sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. After one or two changes the magnet removed it all .

My current Harley came from the factory with a magnetic plug but I still switched it out with the much more powerful goldplug
I switched all of mine to magnetic plugs also. I've taken magnets out of some HDDs to place on the filters as well, they are free, so if they don't do anything on it there is no loss to me.

^^^ Ok, got it. Yup, I mistook that VOA for your post.
Yeah I saw those posts about failed Gold Plugs, like much of anything on the internet, if I cant confirm I dont believe and if its true, it doesnt matter as any product can have a defect and vast majority of posts are very positive, like my own experiences with them.

I used to also put a magnet on the filter and have heard about using HDD magnets, I guess they are powerful? Anyway I have 3 desktops that I am hoping to pull photos off of this winter before getting rid of them and will pull the magnets out of curiosity.

Looks like it's a slightly "thin 40 weight" (VOA KV100 at 13.82 cSt) to start with.

My VOA of USA Castrol Synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil, from walmart. I also grabbed clearance bottles for oreilly/autozone/advance over the years.

14.9cst
864/1011 p/z
8.73 tbn
1425 ca
935 mg
55/67 mo/b
3 si
4/4 oxidation/nitration

Makes my Hyundais/Toyotas/Hondas/... and briggsstratons run smooth and quiet.

My goldplugs have never failed and have been in usage for many years, some moved from one engine to another. Same can be said for my dimpleplugs, votex, and powerslutracing magnetic drainplugs.

Back