Disappointed with McKee's

I was talking to my friend and he suggested moving to another product. My car was detailed with McKee's AIO 360, I've been washing it with their soap followed by Hydro Blue Pro. I've never been more disappointed with a detailing product line.

Bird droppings, no matter how long they remain in contact with the paint, leave etching. The durability of Hydro is poor. At most 2 weeks. I posted about it on AutoGeek and the results appear to be mixed there as well.

This has happened on multiple occasions now.

[Linked Image]

*I am having a hard time removing the etching. I also had etching on the hood that left his bizarre mark (looks like melted glass). I'm not sure how to fix it. I may just have the detailing shop take care of it.

That's interesting to hear. I've always heard good things about McKees save for the usual gripes that in my opinion were user error which happens a lot with detailing products.

I wonder if Bob McKee had to find new component suppliers after the PBMG selloff?

That's possible. I too have always heard good things about them. I mentioned this to my friend and he wants me to switch to something else. I'm really surprised honestly. You'd think between the AIO 360, Soap and Hydro Blue, the durability would be good. Guys at AutoGeek don't seem to be impressed with it either. However, they also don't seem to like many AIO's. I'm using Hydro Blue Pro too and that barely lasts 2 weeks. Major disappointment.

Another possibility is that there is some sour grapes over at Autogeek. McKees became a stand-alone product line after the sale.

I had wondered if a lot of their stuff at Autogeek was coming out of the same pot? Lots of brands and there were speculative threads that got shut down for treading into that territory. This was Bob McKees baby though.

Griots has been a good product for me as well as Sonax.

Interesting. I don't really know. With the results I'm getting, I just can't go back to using McKee's. It's extremely poor.

I'd like to use Griot's. Or even move back to TW SNS.

Question, how can I fix this myself? Would have I have to strip the AIO 360 first before using something else?

I would try more conservative steps first. How many of these spots are there? Clay bar the spots or clay the car entirely.

I've had this experience before as I had to park under sumac trees at work. The birds ate the berries and deposited the end results all over the car. I ended up stripping the old wax off with dish soap and starting over. Eventually we were assigned better parking with no trees. Back then I didn't know about clay bars.

A cleaner wax might do the trick too. At this point it sounds like the McKees finish is not going to hold up at all and you will want to get something more durable on it especially before winter.

Thanks PimTac.

The paint looks good. I had the swirl marks removed that the dealership created. And there is still significant shine. It's the protection that is bad. Even the water beading is not that great a few days after a heavy rain. This pic was taken shortly after a wash and Hydro Pro was applied. Big beads.

[Linked Image]

I will try dish soap (Dawn), clay and move to something else. Likely Griot's.

I applied the Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray Wax about six weeks ago on mine. A few days ago I parked in pouring rain to shop. When I came out the hood was beaded quite nicely and as I got to around 5-10mph in the parking lot the beads started to fly off. It wasn't raining at that time but I had to use the windshield wiper to clear the water that was coming off the hood.

I don't know the total durability of this product but the ease of use is a plus. Another option is Griots Poly Wax which I have not used but I hear it is durable.

I would think clay as well and if that doesn't work, maybe a polish or different all in one. blackfire seems to be one of the go to all in ones on autogeek.

I have some blackfire pro polish if you make it to the philly side of the river.

I used the product last summer and got 2 to 3 weeks out of it at best. I have most of a full bottle and one that has never been opened.I won't be using it again

Originally Posted by hummdrumm
I used the product last summer and got 2 to 3 weeks out of it at best. I have most of a full bottle and one that has never been opened.I won't be using it again

Thanks for the feedback. It's a pretty bad product. I won't be using it again.

It's interesting to me because I decided to get some HydroBlue because I had fillings that CarPro HydrO2 was getting foggy over time even when diluted with distilled water.

Hard to explain, but I felt that it went on "thicker" or slicker, and lasted somewhat better than HydrO2.

Months of longevity on anything that only gets misted on and rinsed off is dubious. But I've seen over a month with both products with cars stored outdoors in NJ. The base is CquartzUK. Anecdotal, but the meckees has lasted well for us. I don't clay. I wash with Meguiars hyper foam.

Another possibility is that there is some sour grapes over at Autogeek. McKees became a stand-alone product line after the sale.

I had wondered if a lot of their stuff at Autogeek was coming out of the same pot? Lots of brands and there were speculative threads that got shut down for treading into that territory. This was Bob McKees baby though.

Griots has been a good product for me as well as Sonax.
McKee’s was never a house brand of Autogeek/Palm Beach. You are confusing it with a similar product line that is a house brand of theirs.

McKee’s was never a house brand of Autogeek/Palm Beach. You are confusing it with a similar product line that is a house brand of theirs.

Maybe it’s a fine line here. Bob McKee founded PBMG. In 2016 he sold the group to Vision but part of the deal was that McKees 37 was his brand and he kept that.

Granted that this was speculation but with so many different brands and overlapping product lines coming out of PBMG, there were discussions wondering if there was any difference with some of them?

Back