Best Toilets in 2020?

Looking to replace every single toilet in my house. Its got these weird two flush toilets that are hard to get parts for. What does the saavy people on here recommend? I want the best. Thanks!

Originally Posted by dareo
Looking to replace every single toilet in my house. Its got these weird two flush toilets that are hard to get parts for. What does the saavy people on here recommend? I want the best. Thanks!

I just got done installing the American Standard Champion4. It's big and heavy..... around 110lbs.
It's a fantastic flusher - has the elongated tank - sits somewhat high - comes with the slow release seat and only uses around 1-1/4gal per flush. It's a single flush model, but if your bowl contains a-lot of toilet paper, hold the lever down during the flush and it power-flushes. When they say it will flush 100 golf balls, I believe it.

I paid $229 and comes highly recommended. This is my 2nd one. The other is in the basement bathroom. Think I bought this latest Champion sometime last week at Home Depot. If not, then it was at Lowes. Those are the only two hardwares close-by.

Last edited:
The best toilet out there is a brand called "Toto".

Out of their line, the most popular is a model called Toto Drake.

You can google it.

Use what Al Bundy used! The "Ferguson". If I remember, he claimed it had a 55 gallon flush!

Seriously, if you are older, you can get toilets higher than normal. When we built our house, we got toilets that are low flow (no problems in 10 years) and 2 " higher than normal. Never regretted that. I think you can go up to 4" higher. It really helps if you have bad kness.

TOTO

"Drake" used to be their most 'powerful' and also one of their most economy models.....do it and don't look back.....21 golfballs if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
The best toilet out there is a brand called "Toto".

Out of their line, the most popular is a model called Toto Drake.

You can google it.

Sorry - JMJNet - did not see your reply - I would have just requoted it.

100% Correct.....I put in 3 10 years ago and lets say - best there is for sure.

I just got done remodeling a bathroom and I put in a relatively inexpensive brand "Eljer Diplomat" model toilet, from what I have read it's basically an "American standard cadet 3"
1.6 gallons per flush, large 3 inch flapper.

It empties the tank very fast like 1.5 seconds maybe, vs my old toilet that was like 3+ gallons and took like 8 seconds to empty(didn't clog often either)

This is very subjective but I just took a HUGE dump plus a lot of TP and it sucked it right down, there wasn't even any residue in the bowl. (I was worried it was going to clog)

My 2cents

The plumber I spoke to said he liked "Gerber" brand for a good toilet that isn't $500

Last edited:
there are plenty of good to great models out there... just do a little research.

this isnt 1990's when the first lower GPF toilets really were horrible.

Even the 88$ sams club ones work decent.

Terry Love, a plumber, has a big web site on choosing toilets.
a plumber friend told me many people did not like the higher heigth toilets and had him take them out.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Terry Love, a plumber, has a big web site on choosing toilets.
a plumber friend told me many people did not like the higher heigth toilets and had him take them out.

higher toilets aren't something to wish for.
They promote a lazy seated position, which actually makes it MORE difficult to "squeeze one out".
The closer you are seated to the floor in a squatted position, the easier it is to do your business.

As a plumber I have seen them all and used many of them. I have a TOTO in my shop and it has clogged. I have American Standard higher end toilet in my bathroom and after two years I am disappointed with it...never clogged but does not always flush completely requiring a second water wasting flush. I have a Kohler Highline in my hall bath and it is an excellent toilet. Has never clogged and has a large water spot. The water spot is important to covering over you know what. I have also installed the Champion toilets and they also never clog but are not as refined as the Kohler. I whole heartedly recommend Kohler Highline. You will never regret a Kohler Highline or second choice Kohler Wellworth. And their flushing mechanism is smooth and very easy to use, especially if you have some arthritis in your hand.

Another vote for Mansfield. Cheap (depending on model), American made, works well. They use a different style of flush valve that can prevent overflow in case of a clog by simply moving the flush lever back to the "up" position.

Our new home came with standard height, round bowl Mansfield toilets. After several years, we exchanged them for ADA height, elongated bowl models. Rural King had a Black Friday sale on a complete kit-in-a-box for $89 similar to the link below:

https://www.truevalue.com/complete-toilet-kit-elongated-front-ada-approved-white-12-in-round-in

For $89, I didn't expect too much, but they work very well.

I recommend one from Kohler. I think they have a lifetime warranty for nearly everything. A bit more cost upfront, but consider that the cost of purchasing warranty.

I installed one of the newer Toto Drake models very recently. Very pleased with it. The flush and "bowl" wash is the best I've seen and is much better than the "instant flush" on a 12 year old Toto Ultimax. It is "comfort height" - higher than standard but lower than a Kohler Highline. It has a dual flush lever which saves money on water/sewer bills. Also uses a "tower" mechanism instead of the old, flapper valve technique. That said, the Kohler is a very nice toilet, too. Only caveat is I can't speak to how clog-resistant any toilet is as that has never been a problem in our household.

Back