Fram Ultra XG9688 - 9000 miles on Hyundai GDI

Used on 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS between 96,000 - 105,000 miles. First OCI was Mobil 1 0w40 for 5000 miles, second OCI was Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle for 4000 miles. Engine developed a tick after about 8500 miles and it has a reputation for doing so based on variables related to the oil filter. Upon cutting open the filter it was saturated with black carbon soot, the oil drained from both OCIs was completely black and a bit gritty as well. Inside the walls of the can a fair amount of carbon soot had accumulated.

The engine has a reputation for producing excessive amounts of carbon soot and when I began taking care of it 15,000 miles ago you could tell that it had been poorly maintained. Looking under the oil filler cap revealed a buildup of carbon soot inside the engine. This engine is very sensitive when it comes to oil filter usage, to date I have not had issues while using the Hyundai OEM oil filter as well as the Fram Ultra and Titanium oil filters. Though the Fram Ultra is rated for up to 20,000 miles of usage this one served its purpose, upon replacing the oil and filter the engine tick went away.

20200615_093203_HDR.jpg

20200615_092737_HDR.jpg

20200615_092854_HDR.jpg

That is one dirty filter. It looks like it held up just fine, but looks only tell you so much about the condition of the filter.

In your post you stated you've used an Fram Titanium for an OCI? How long did you run it? Do you have any photos of it after its use? Thanks for the Fram Ultra C&P!

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
In your post you stated you've used an Fram Titanium for an OCI? How long did you run it? Do you have any photos of it after its use? Thanks for the Fram Ultra C&P!

I'm guessing Ignatius is now currently using the Titanium. I am also guessing that Ignatius' engine is the 2.0T
That filter is nasty. It's great seeing how well the Ultra did trapping some of that soot. The Ultra may be a future filter purchase for my 2.4GDI.

That 99/20 is going to grab more soot than my AC Delco 98/25-30, without creating any issues with my much newer 2019 model. I read Hyundai and Kia made filter, pump, PCV and hose corrections that began in the 2016 model year. Post-2015 models can now handle a more restrictive oil filter.

However, I'm not sure if I got the exact years correct. Maybe it was after the 2013 model year.....
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I'm guessing Ignatius is now currently using the Titanium. I am also guessing that Ignatius' engine is the 2.0T
That filter is nasty. It's great seeing how well the Ultra did trapping some of that soot. The Ultra may be a future filter purchase for my 2.4GDI.

That 99/20 is going to grab more soot than my AC Delco 98/25-30, without creating any issues with my much newer 2019 model. I read Hyundai and Kia made filter, pump, PCV and hose corrections that began in the 2016 model year. Post-2015 models can now handle a more restrictive oil filter.

However, I'm not sure if I got the exact years correct. Maybe it was after the 2013 model year.....
21.gif

That engine is not available for the Accent. The engine in question is a 1.6L GDI Gamma engine. Fairly solid little engine, but I wouldn't call them refined in any way.

Edit: a 2.0T in the Accent would make for a pretty wild car. Add in a manual and hatchback and Hyundai might be on to something there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

21.gif

Thats what I was wondering, I was like the Titanium just came out? How did you do that many miles that fast! LOL Thats what I am looking for as well, in my '10 Santa Fe as soon as I change the oil within 100 miles the oil is a shade darker again. I'm using OEM filters and QSUD at the moment but if I can find something better at filtering, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

So the 5k filter change interval is appropriate in this case, even with Ultra. The filter must have clogged. Anyone using a shop vac to collect drywall dust knows how fast fine dust clogs the pleated filter. I always had to use a bag filter in addition. Same here change filter more often for more capacity. You don't want to be bypassing and defeating the whole purpose if an oil filter. Cutting open was the way to do it, imagine running it twice as long.

I replaced the Ultra with a Fram Titanium 9688 and new oil is Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20. Yes this car uses the 1.6L Gamma engine, terrific little engine with good performance.

Hyundai stresses to not extend any oil change or oil filter change interval beyond 7500 miles with this engine and I can see why now. I plan on changing the oil every 3750 miles per Hyundai's severe service recommendation and will run a Fram Titanium/Ultra two OCIs and replace at 7500 miles from now on.

Originally Posted by kschachn
That's just insane. Even my 21 year-old sludge-monster 1MZ-FE with 435,000 miles doesn't do anything like that after 7500 miles. Not even close.

Yeah it is wild isn't is kschachn... Even my lady's 98 Camry has not looked like that...

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I replaced the Ultra with a Fram Titanium 9688 and new oil is Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20. Yes this car uses the 1.6L Gamma engine, terrific little engine with good performance.

Hyundai stresses to not extend any oil change or oil filter change interval beyond 7500 miles with this engine and I can see why now. I plan on changing the oil every 3750 miles per Hyundai's severe service recommendation and will run a Fram Titanium/Ultra two OCIs and replace at 7500 miles from now on.

Good call man... I'm with you on that plan.

Very good cut and post buddy...

You add a lot of good insight and ideas on here too.

That's just insane. Even my 21 year-old sludge-monster 1MZ-FE with 435,000 miles doesn't do anything like that after 7500 miles. Not even close.

They don't make it like the 1MZ-FE.
The sludge is caused by relatively small PCV which if maintained/check every so often should not cause it.
I don't think there is any defect in the engine itself at least not that I know of.

Reactions: JC1

I think it just speaks to the reality of carbon soot production as a result of direct injection and also the fact that it a crankcase is being used as a dumpster so that this gunk doesn't have to be blown through the emissions system. MachineryLubrication.com wrote an excellent piece of analysis on this subject recently and I think what I have experienced confirms every bit of what they were writing about.

That's startling
shocked2.gif
. We have an '18 Accent . Change oil around 6,000 miles using Pennzoil Platinum ( Dexos 1 , Gen 2 ) 5w-20 along with 2 Fram Ultra and 1 Hyundai Genuine oil filter . The G.D.I. can't be that great for air quality . Took these earlier after swiping inside tailpipe . May be good for fuel economy , not so much for pollutants . I think it has a 1 converter . The Honda Fit has 2 . Got the info here . https://www.fueleconomy.gov/

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

Last edited:
I do find that between the 1.6L GDI Gamma in my Rio and the 2.0L T-GDI in my Ford, the Gamma turns its oil black faster, but it also has a smaller sump (3.5qt vs 5.7qt)
How certain are you that the material shown in the can of your filter is soot? Those particles are not the size I would expect GDI soot to be...
If you shed light showing that those particulates are definitely soot, then this would further bolster any apprehension regarding extending the OCI and OFCI.

wow - that filter looked done for! maybe the new oil loosened up more gunk and the filter got the double of the double dose.....either way....it needed to go!

^^^ Very clean for a GDI with that many miles on the oil. How many total miles on the engine?

The oil in our 2.0T Santa Fe has looked like that for 8 years and and over 200k miles.

Back