Ford Explorer PTU - Royal Purple 75w-140

Hi BITOGERs. Wondering if anyone knows if it is okay to use Royal Purple Synyhetic gear oil in the PTU on my 17 Ford Explorer XLT? I found an unopened bottle in my oil stash and it's the right weight for the job, but it says it has friction modifiers in it already. I couldn't find anything either way regarding whether or not friction modifiers are okay for the PTU. I'm at 35,000 miles and heard that it's best to swap the gear oil in these early.

Here is the equivalent Ford product as spec'd in your owners manual. You might phone a dealership and ask if the modifiers are in it. Still, not sure if it's an issue.

0865B581-1B04-43A5-A75C-FECB3DAD2B20.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Ford gear oil does not come with modifiers, it has to be added. You will be fine with the RP.

The OP mentioned the RP has friction modifiers. Just checking.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Ford gear oil does not come with modifiers, it has to be added. You will be fine with the RP.

The OP mentioned the RP has friction modifiers. Just checking.

I don't think there is anything in the PTU that would be hurt by modifiers. We have had a few customer supply Amsoil 75W140 for the PTUs, me included on my Mom's Fusion. We are lucky with hers, it has both drain and fill plugs that are easily accessible.

I completed the PTU drain and refill on the Explorer. That was not too bad, but no drain plug. Getting ready to drain and refill the PTU on our Lincoln MKC. This one has a drain plug on the bottom and a fill hole that seems to be right above a temp sensor. I'm surprised that they put a temp sensor on this PTU as early as 2015. Anyway, have to remove a section of the turbo plastic piping to get access to the fill hole. Shouldn't be too bad I hope... I will also use the Royal Purple 75w-140 on this one.

I have 219,000 miles on a 2017 Ford explorer xlt 3.5 NA. Owned since new.

I drove it directly from dealer to home and installed Amsoil svg 75w140 in PTU, amsoil fuel efficient atf, Amsoil 75w90 svg in rear axle.

PTU is still orginal. Every 50k I change spark plugs and flush radiator fluid and do brakes.

I have not had 1 single mechanical issue at all!!!!

Its registered in MN and I have driven it to 49 states. It has seen 120 degrees in las Vegas to -50 in Alaska

Ford4life76 - That’s awesome to hear. My experience has been good so far, but I have nowhere near the miles you’ve put on your exploder. Hope I get that kind of service life on mine:eek::eek:

Due to the extreme heat location and low oil volume I would change it every 30k or so.

Why, because the lubricant is usually toast by then. It is kudo's to the metallurgists for incorporating the right type of metallurgy to be used for such a poorly designed and poorly placed component.

I do plan to do the suction and refill about every 30,000 miles or so. No drain plug, so I cannot quite get it all out. Since mine has the tow package I have the ductwork that puts cool air onto the PTU housing. Not sure if that ultimately will do a lot to help, but the gear oil I pulled out the first time at 36,000:miles did not look too bad...

Back