[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Box says 99% efficient, but no micron size listed. Fram's website says 98%+ >20u.

Nice photos.
thumbsup2.gif

Seemingly packed full of filter media which does correlate with Fram stating this filter has 20 percent more filter media added.

Very, very good job Robert. Thank you very much for doing this and the other filter cut and open.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Is this an EG or TG equivalent?

Thanks spending the money and for the C&P.

ToughGuard based on the mileage recommendation and filtration.
Cheaper to buy a ToughGuard though, but may be a decent deal through some of their oil/filter combos.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Box says 99% efficient, but no micron size listed. Fram's website says 98%+ >20u.

Nice photos.
thumbsup2.gif

Thank You

Originally Posted by bbhero
Seemingly packed full of filter media which does correlate with Fram stating this filter has 20 percent more filter media added.

Very, very good job Robert. Thank you very much for doing this and the other filter cut and open.

I've got a cut tough guard, I'll try to remember count the pleats on this, the TG is 43 IIRC, I'll double check though.

Thank you and you're welcome of course.

Definitely a cut above an EG, Looks like a TG with a metal seam clamp. So arguably a little better than TG.

You're welcome of course.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Looks just like the A02 with the metal seam
smile.gif

You're welcome.

Yup, the seam clamp like A02.

Originally Posted by blupupher

ToughGuard based on the mileage recommendation and filtration.
Cheaper to buy a ToughGuard though, but may be a decent deal through some of their oil/filter combos.

Curious the metal seam clamp the TG doesn't have, yet same mileage recommendation.

Other things I noticed.

The tapping plate holes look slightly different than I recall, I'll have to check is this is an optical illusion or faulty memory or if they actually differ.

The center of the dome end of the can is slightly concave unlike other FRAMs,

The coating is not rubbery like on the end of EG/TG/XG. I actually like it much better and a cap wrench should fit without issues.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
where is this relative to fram ultra?

Below it.

From what we can tell, Fram's filters are ranked (from "best" to "worst")
  • Ultra
  • Titanium
  • ToughGuard
  • Force
  • ExtraGuard
  • Core

The question is how much difference really is between the Ultra/Titanium (seem very similar, but not identical) and the ToughGuard/Force (again, very similar, but not identical)
We know Fram makes the Ultra/Fram Pro Synthetic that are identical except for no grippy stuff on the FPS (same for the ExtraGuard and Fram Pro). The Titanium has a different baseplate than other Fram's (that may be rolled out to other filters ?), and here the Force has a metal crimp than the ToughGuard does not have.

These C&P by DuckRyder do show visually there is not a lot of difference between them, especially not enough to justify the price difference.

Below it.

• Ultra
  • Titanium
  • ToughGuard
  • Force
  • ExtraGuard
  • Core

The question is how much difference really is between the Ultra/Titanium (seem very similar, but not identical) and the ToughGuard/Force (again, very similar, but not identical)
We know Fram makes the Ultra/Fram Pro Synthetic that are identical except for no grippy stuff on the FPS (same for the ExtraGuard and Fram Pro). The Titanium has a different baseplate than other Fram's (that may be rolled out to other filters ?), and here the Force has a metal crimp than the ToughGuard does not have.

These C&P by DuckRyder do show visually there is not a lot of difference between them, especially not enough to justify the price difference.

In the past Fram has described the Ultra has having mixed media and you can still find such a description from certain retailers online.

Now I know everyone always wants definitive everything but I can say with about 99% certainty that the Titanium filter media is the no different from the Ultra filter media, same thing with the Force vs. Tough Guard. Now before anyone thinks, "well you are just a crazy guy on the internet that can't give us a definitive answer!" Please consider that Fram probably would not radically deviate from their standard product offerings so to downgrade their performance.

This is a simple repackaging of two products, you all are thinking waaaay to much into this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ignatius

Below it.

• Ultra
  • Titanium
  • ToughGuard
  • Force
  • ExtraGuard
  • Core

In the past Fram has described the Ultra has having mixed media and you can still find such a description from certain retailers online.

Now I know everyone always wants definitive everything but I can say with about 99% certainty that the Titanium filter media is the no different from the Ultra filter media, same thing with the Force vs. Tough Guard. Now before anyone thinks, "well you are just a crazy guy on the internet that can't give us a definitive answer!" Please consider that Fram probably would not radically deviate from their standard product offerings so to downgrade their performance.

This is a simple repackaging of two products, you all are thinking waaaay to much into this.

You should read a bit further along.

The Titanium isn't relevant to this thread, but the FF does in fact have more media in it than a TG, TG also does not have a seam clamp. So you are wrong that this is a repackaged TG, unless you want to argue the that they changed the TG at the same time, in which case I'm gonna need you to go buy one, cut it open and post pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
The Titanium isn't relevant to this thread, but the FF does in fact have more media in it than a TG, TG also does not have a seam clamp. So you are wrong that this is a repackaged TG, unless you want to argue the that they changed the TG at the same time, in which case I'm gonna need you to go buy one, cut it open and post pictures.

That could be possible. Think I'll on-line chat with Fram and see if they can tell me if the media is different between these two lines.

I like this Fram Force filter...

People say it's over priced at $9.99.... Well I have paid $9 for a Fram Ultra rated for 15,000 miles... Not all that huge of a difference in price... A dollar.... And yeah this is not double thick full synthetic media.. But one does not need wire backed full synthetic media to have a very good oil filter. A filter media like this or what comes in a Wix Gold filter or Napa Gold filter are very good filters for 10,000 and could go 15,000 miles. This filter placed a oil filter deal will make for a solid everyday deal. Say a deal like Valvoline Advanced full synthetic and a Fram Force filter for $33.99.... Would actually be a decent deal in my opinion.

This also keeps me out of Walmart... Which one some days where I'm not feeling good and my legs are not the best. . . Walking distance matters to me.

That could be possible. Think I'll on-line chat with Fram and see if they can tell me if the media is different between these two lines.

I think you missed my point.

The Force has a metal seam clamp and more pleats than the TG. I don't care what a phone drone says, until someone cuts a TG7317 apart that has a metal seam clamp and the same pleat count they are not the same period. I have them both sitting here in front of me - NOT the same.

That could be possible. Think I'll on-line chat with Fram and see if they can tell me if the media is different between these two lines .

I think you missed my point.

The Force has a metal seam clamp and more pleats than the TG. I don't care what a phone drone says, until someone cuts a TG7317 apart that has a metal seam clamp and the same pleat count they are not the same period. I have them both sitting here in front of me - NOT the same.

I'm talking only about the media (^ look again ^), regardless of the number of pleats or crimp design. See my thread about Fram vs AAP.

Back