BBB / VISION-OE reman. starters and alternators

Anyone familiar with the reliability of BBB / VISION-OE brand of remanufactured starters and alternators ?

Would they be comparable to brands that I've known and used in the past like ACDelco, Bosch or Denso ?

It's getting more difficult to know who is doing the rebuilding on the units vs. a box of printed labels that are put on the same off the shelf unit, depending on what brand a customer has selected.

I've replaced Toyota / Denso contacts in the past but the newer designs are using a crimped solenoid housing so I don't think one can open them up anymore.

Last edited:
The daughters 2006 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) has 185k miles now but continues to work fine. I have been thinking about replacing the starter proactively just because she lives now 500 miles away and I can do it for probably $100 whereas she will have to pay a shop much more if it fails later. We plan to keep the vehicle for many more years.

In the past I've replaced the contacts on Denso starters, but this model uses a smaller unit that apparently isn't designed for that because I've never heard from anyone that has rebuilt them.

The alternator's often go 250k+ so not going to worry about it until years later.

Last edited:
I had a 2004 Sienna that uses the non rebuildable Denso starter.
When it gave up, I went to a rebuilder who sold me the older Denso with pentagon solenoid x-section that is rebuildable by just replacing the contacts.
This older starter was used in the up to 2001 camry.
IIRC, it was TYC new starter.

You may check if the older starter can fit the matrix also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cressida
Anyone familiar with the reliability of BBB / VISION-OE brand of remanufactured starters and alternators ?

Would they be comparable to brands that I've known and used in the past like ACDelco, Bosch or Denso ?

It's getting more difficult to know who is doing the rebuilding on the units vs. a box of printed labels that are put on the same off the shelf unit, depending on what brand a customer has selected.

I've replaced Toyota / Denso contacts in the past but the newer designs are using a crimped solenoid housing so I don't think one can open them up anymore.

From my experience the quality is not stellar, in a case like this where you cant open it I would go with low mile OE used.

That non rebuildable starter is rebuildable.

RE the older style, just replacing the contacts is not a rebuild, it is a repair. It still has brushes, and drive that can also wear.

Rod

The daughters 2006 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) has 185k miles now but continues to work fine. I have been thinking about replacing the starter proactively just because she lives now 500 miles away and I can do it for probably $100 whereas she will have to pay a shop much more if it fails later. We plan to keep the vehicle for many more years.

In the past I've replaced the contacts on Denso starters, but this model uses a smaller unit that apparently isn't designed for that because I've never heard from anyone that has rebuilt them.

The alternator's often go 250k+ so not going to worry about it until years later.

Honestly, I see starters fail more on 1ZZ's than I do alternators, but both are fairly common. If you do replace the starter, I'd try to find a local rebuilder before going with any aftermarket brand. I get every alternator and starter that I can from a local rebuilder, I'd bet he's the last in the city (or one of them). I can say with utmost confidence that his rebuilds are better than anything I get from BBB, Ultima, Wilson Electric etc.

Back