Subcompact tractor brands?

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
My needs might be beyond a lawn tractor. Looking at the low end something like kubotas bx 2380 or 23s.

Anyone with any experience in these little units or maybe

Deere
Mahindra
Kioti..subcompacts?

Thanks!

UD

Last edited:
I've often thought that the best upgrade to a lawn tractor would be an old small farm tractor (Deere, Massey, Fordson, International, Case, etc).

You might have to rebuild it but easy to work on. Tough as anything. And probably an appreciating asset.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I've often thought that the best upgrade to a lawn tractor would be an old small farm tractor (Deere, Massey, Fordson, International, Case, etc).

You might have to rebuild it but easy to work on. Tough as anything. And probably an appreciating asset.

I thought about that as well, I have tractor experience grandpa was an oliver dealer and we had a bunch of em including a tank like thing called a Cletrac.

I became somewhat enamored with the awesome fully restored tiny farmalls I saw at a steam show once,
but I dont have the schedule to wrench on much stuff these day.

I dont have any more space either - so whatever has to fit in no bigger space than a kubota 2380.

UD

On the older stuff Id imagine Ive got limited implement choices?

UD

IMG_1986.jpeg

It depends what you want to do with it. I love those Farmall Cubs, but they had I think 13 hp and besides running a mower or plowing snow there wasn't much you could do with them. If you are looking for something to drive a snowblower and run a loader, etc, you will want a sub compact.

Deere, Kubota, or New Holland would be my choice. Buy once cry once.

Cub was intended to mow between rows in an orchard, tend commercial vegetable gardens a little utility mowing etc. It can not even pull a hay rake which is about the lowest horsepower implement on a farm today. Try to cut an unkempt lawn with one was very slow going. And they use a surprising amount of gas compared to the little diesel tractors.

Rod

I'd get something that had a good dealer nearby.

It's hard to go wrong with a Kubota. Brother and I had a used L3710. Nice tractor. Easy to work on and parts were reasonable.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
My needs might be beyond a lawn tractor. Looking at the low end something like kubotas bx 2380 or 23s.

Deere
Mahindra
Kioti..subcompacts?

Thanks!

UD

In 2018, I test drove and got underneath every subcompact within 50 miles and went with the Kubota BX23S.

Top reasons for going with Kubota:
1. Financing honesty, most advertise 0% for 84 months but then tack on 3-5K to the price for the privilege. My dealer came in at $17.8K for my BX23S and it was the exact same pricing when we opted for the financing.
2. Dealer network. There are 8 Kubota dealers within 35 miles of me. I visited 5 and they were all professional, knew their product line, and respected my wife when she would ask questions.
3. Refinement and quality. Kubota and Deere were on top and all the rest lagged behind in some fashion.
4. Wanted to Support US jobs.
5. Dealerships were all busy but their service bays were largely unoccupied. I visited 5 total dealers and there were a total of 4 tractors in for repairs. The rest of tractors were just there for annual service.

Reasons why I didn't go for John Deere 1025R:
1. The remodeled 1025R with the second seat for the backhoe is difficult to get off of trailers. When I was at the dealer and they were unloading on from another store for my test drive, the bottom of the backhoe hung up on the ground and they ended up having to pull the tractor back on to the trailer and then they backed the truck up against a hill so they could drop the ramp at a less steep of an angle.
2. Price difference, close to $4.5K more and 0% financing was only for 60 months vs. 84 months.
3. Two different Deere dealers didn't know their subcompact line very well. They knew they had them, but they had to look up everything as I asked questions. One of the dealers even left us in an office when he saw someone outside looking a a 3-series tractor. Eventually someone else came to help us but we didn't feel like starting the whole conversation over again so we left.

Reason why I didn't go for New Holland Workmaster 25S:
1. It's just a rebadge LS MT125S (see below):
2. The NH stickers carried a $3K premium over the identical LS.

Reasons why I did go for the LS MT125S:
1. Questionable dealer network. 1 dealer within 35 miles of me and it has changed handed 4 times over the past 10 years.
2. Questionable service. When asked how many years of experience does his mechanic have with LS, the dealer responded with "Well we don't have a mechanic right now but we are hoping to have one within 6 months."
3. Questionable reliability. The MT125S that the dealer had was broken and the backhoe could not function (may have been assembly issues at the dealer). A second tractor had fluids spilling out from underneath.
4. Questionable engineering. Having to remove a rear tire to put on the 3-point arms would be a PITA. I just removed my backhoe, put on my 3-point arms, and hooked up a box blade within 5 minutes on my BX. Also look up how LS owners couldn't get their oil drain plugs out for quite some time; it was too long and would impact with the axel when trying to remove it.

Reasons why I didn't go for Mahindra:
1. Limited dealer network only 1 within 50 miles.
2. Models change too rapidly and it's difficult to find DIY guides for a specific model.
3. Padded specs that could lead to damage. Sure your loader can lift 2K lbs compared to my BX's 600 lbs, but your from axel is 2/3 the size of mine and guess where all the front load weight goes.
4. Reliability issues. Several farmers and equestrian facilities in the area had Mahindras for a year or two after the dealer came to town but we would see them constantly parked in the middle of fields for weeks at a time before seeing them hauled away by the dealer's flatbed. Over the years, all but one of the farms has traded in their Mahindras and have bought Deeres or Kubotas.
5. 0% Financing added $4K to the price making it more expensive than Kubota.
6. Dealer was an A-hole, he wouldn't address my wife when she had concerns.

Massey Ferguson GC1710:
1. Operator station was too small when operating the backhoe. I kept hitting my elbows on the ROPS and I'm not a big guy. Otherwise, this was a phenomenal tractor, quiet, smooth, great (cash) price.
2. 0% financing added several thousand to the price.
3. Limited dealer network, only one dealer within 35 miles.

Kioti:
1. No dealer within 50 miles so I couldn't test drive one.

First go to a tractor site. The most important thing about a tractor is the parts availability especially the long term availability. The dealer is fairly important. Ivebeenrued 's post is great. But get a tractor with the bigger tires than Kubotas bx 2380 as the power is fine but the tire size is a killer unless you are using it as a lawn tractor .

all good feedback - thanks everyone.

Im back and forth between the kubo and the deere.

The loader on the kubota is pretty weak comparatively, but the mower has a more clearance.

Im barely beyond needing a mower so either should be more than I need - or so it seems.

UD

I test drove a Kubota BX23S and JD 1025r TLB. I went with the JD because of the following:
Already have other green equipment
Physical size is larger
Loader lifts more
Had experience with one as a former grounds keeper.

The controls on the backhoe and loader are better on Kubota and I prefer the single point hydraulic connection on it. I did not like the hydrostatic pedal layout, prefer the JD layout.

Currently have 27 hours on mine. Spread 32 tons of gravel yesterday on a driveway repair job.

Tractorbynet is a good forum for all the brands. I've bought a new 2011 Kioti DK40SE and its been pretty good, no major issues so far and I'm at near 700hrs. At the time for the same size and featured Kubota tractor, it was nearly 1/3 more, and this particular dealer was the only one to give me a tour of their shop and talked to their tractor tech. I would limit your brand choice to your local dealers, but unless you get a lemon, you're probably just going to be buying filters for many years. Go visit you local dealers, and if you want to buy a smaller brand tractor just pay attention to how "permanent" the dealership is, if there isn't another one nearby.
Try to figure out what you are going to be doing with it, and compare specs as these tractors can be the same size but vary in weight by a 1000lbs, which is good for some things and bad for others. Personally I'm glad I went with a heavy tractor but I'm in the hills and end up using it for regular farm tractor duties.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued

Deere
Mahindra
Kioti..subcompacts?

Thanks!

UD

In 2018, I test drove and got underneath every subcompact within 50 miles and went with the Kubota BX23S.

Top reasons for going with Kubota:
1. Financing honesty, most advertise 0% for 84 months but then tack on 3-5K to the price for the privilege. My dealer came in at $17.8K for my BX23S and it was the exact same pricing when we opted for the financing.
2. Dealer network. There are 8 Kubota dealers within 35 miles of me. I visited 5 and they were all professional, knew their product line, and respected my wife when she would ask questions.
3. Refinement and quality. Kubota and Deere were on top and all the rest lagged behind in some fashion.
4. Wanted to Support US jobs.
5. Dealerships were all busy but their service bays were largely unoccupied. I visited 5 total dealers and there were a total of 4 tractors in for repairs. The rest of tractors were just there for annual service.

Reasons why I didn't go for John Deere 1025R:
1. The remodeled 1025R with the second seat for the backhoe is difficult to get off of trailers. When I was at the dealer and they were unloading on from another store for my test drive, the bottom of the backhoe hung up on the ground and they ended up having to pull the tractor back on to the trailer and then they backed the truck up against a hill so they could drop the ramp at a less steep of an angle.
2. Price difference, close to $4.5K more and 0% financing was only for 60 months vs. 84 months.
3. Two different Deere dealers didn't know their subcompact line very well. They knew they had them, but they had to look up everything as I asked questions. One of the dealers even left us in an office when he saw someone outside looking a a 3-series tractor. Eventually someone else came to help us but we didn't feel like starting the whole conversation over again so we left.

Reason why I didn't go for New Holland Workmaster 25S:
1. It's just a rebadge LS MT125S (see below):
2. The NH stickers carried a $3K premium over the identical LS.

Reasons why I did go for the LS MT125S:
1. Questionable dealer network. 1 dealer within 35 miles of me and it has changed handed 4 times over the past 10 years.
2. Questionable service. When asked how many years of experience does his mechanic have with LS, the dealer responded with "Well we don't have a mechanic right now but we are hoping to have one within 6 months."
3. Questionable reliability. The MT125S that the dealer had was broken and the backhoe could not function (may have been assembly issues at the dealer). A second tractor had fluids spilling out from underneath.
4. Questionable engineering. Having to remove a rear tire to put on the 3-point arms would be a PITA. I just removed my backhoe, put on my 3-point arms, and hooked up a box blade within 5 minutes on my BX. Also look up how LS owners couldn't get their oil drain plugs out for quite some time; it was too long and would impact with the axel when trying to remove it.

Reasons why I didn't go for Mahindra:
1. Limited dealer network only 1 within 50 miles.
2. Models change too rapidly and it's difficult to find DIY guides for a specific model.
3. Padded specs that could lead to damage. Sure your loader can lift 2K lbs compared to my BX's 600 lbs, but your from axel is 2/3 the size of mine and guess where all the front load weight goes.
4. Reliability issues. Several farmers and equestrian facilities in the area had Mahindras for a year or two after the dealer came to town but we would see them constantly parked in the middle of fields for weeks at a time before seeing them hauled away by the dealer's flatbed. Over the years, all but one of the farms has traded in their Mahindras and have bought Deeres or Kubotas.
5. 0% Financing added $4K to the price making it more expensive than Kubota.
6. Dealer was an A-hole, he wouldn't address my wife when she had concerns.

Massey Ferguson GC1710:
1. Operator station was too small when operating the backhoe. I kept hitting my elbows on the ROPS and I'm not a big guy. Otherwise, this was a phenomenal tractor, quiet, smooth, great (cash) price.
2. 0% financing added several thousand to the price.
3. Limited dealer network, only one dealer within 35 miles.

Kioti:
1. No dealer within 50 miles so I couldn't test drive one.

I bought a JD 1025 back in 2018. Totally love it. Has the bush hog and FEL on it. Bullet proof Yanmar Diesel. Goes forever on a tank of fuel. I bought it new and was about 2K less than a comparable Kubota.

I wouldn't buy one of the compacts to mow grass with, for a ton less money you can buy a "prosumer" zero turn (like a Ferris IS700), that'll mow circles around a tractor, not rut up your lawn and you can cut around trees much much faster.

If you want to run a 4 foot roto tiller or pull some cultivators, then you can find a good shape farmall C or super C for around 3K, parts are everywhere and they are bulletproof (I have a 49 C)

If the loader is the main thing used, then yeah, one of the subs is pretty good bang for the buck

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Tractorbynet is a good forum for all the brands. I've bought a new 2011 Kioti DK40SE and its been pretty good, no major issues so far and I'm at near 700hrs. At the time for the same size and featured Kubota tractor, it was nearly 1/3 more, and this particular dealer was the only one to give me a tour of their shop and talked to their tractor tech. I would limit your brand choice to your local dealers, but unless you get a lemon, you're probably just going to be buying filters for many years. Go visit you local dealers, and if you want to buy a smaller brand tractor just pay attention to how "permanent" the dealership is, if there isn't another one nearby.
Try to figure out what you are going to be doing with it, and compare specs as these tractors can be the same size but vary in weight by a 1000lbs, which is good for some things and bad for others. Personally I'm glad I went with a heavy tractor but I'm in the hills and end up using it for regular farm tractor duties.

Who makes the engine in the kioti, is it in house or a 3rd party.

Originally Posted by thastinger
I wouldn't buy one of the compacts to mow grass with, for a ton less money you can buy a "prosumer" zero turn (like a Ferris IS700), that'll mow circles around a tractor, not rut up your lawn and you can cut around trees much much faster.

If you want to run a 4 foot roto tiller or pull some cultivators, then you can find a good shape farmall C or super C for around 3K, parts are everywhere and they are bulletproof (I have a 49 C)

If the loader is the main thing used, then yeah, one of the subs is pretty good bang for the buck

I started down the mower front but the list of work outgrew it.

Here in farm and horse country its really hard to find good used gear as it tends to be all used up.

UD

On the older stuff Id imagine Ive got limited implement choices?

UD

On the cubs yes, The larger ones, C or Super C, have PTOs so that opens up choices. Aftermarket companies make add on hydraulic lifts for most of the farmalls, some people use the cultivator lift arms as lifts for rear mount implements, they are ok but don't really have any sort of draft control. My C will lift and run a 4ft rototiller, which the main thing I do with it. It is a load on the tractor for sure but it does it fine. Ground speed is a bit high on these 4 speed tractors but you can work around it.

Originally Posted by thastinger

I started down the mower front but the list of work outgrew it.

Here in farm and horse country its really hard to find good used gear as it tends to be all used up.

UD

Gotcha, so you're going to run a bush hog with it?

The deere loader completely outperforms the Kubota on the loader, but cant hold its bucket up or curl when filled with dirt -
It seems it should have a narrower bucket.

Back