New Vehicle Oil Change

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by jimmyturner
I'd change it. I have a 2020 subaru and i'm changing my oil every 3 months, because of the type of driving i do. Lots of short trips, lots of idling etc. Probably like 1000-1500 miles per 3 months, i still change it. It's so cheap to do.

That is wasting OUR shared resources and it is doing NOTING to help the engine.

Nothing. The oil is fortified with detergents to handle your regimen

Think.

ts NOT cheap insurance its just wasteful. Nothing else.

-Ken

How many vehicles per year do you go through?

hahaha supton. You are from the same school as I.... who was taught that it's more harm than good, to change gas oils prior to normal mileage, 3K use. I would describe normal as 1K per month. I think that's what a majority of households pile-up per month on their odometers.

I had a close buddy in the 70s that changed oil every 1k. By the time that Oldsmobile Cutlass engine had 12k, it was puffing blue smoke on cold startups.

I 'friended' you BTW. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
I'd change it. I have a 2020 subaru and i'm changing my oil every 3 months, because of the type of driving i do. Lots of short trips, lots of idling etc. Probably like 1000-1500 miles per 3 months, i still change it. It's so cheap to do.

Are you serious? 1000 miles and you change it? With synthetic? To each their own...

Originally Posted by supton

That is wasting OUR shared resources and it is doing NOTHING to help the engine.

Think.

ts NOT cheap insurance; its just wasteful. Nothing else.

-Ken

How many vehicles per year do you go through?

I have found the Truth and I am a changed Man!

I used to worry and change my oil every 3500 to 5000 miles
sometimes just to try some new oil. Trying to find that elusive "Best" oil

But Like the poor soul Jimmy Turner above - who is changing Synthetic every 1000 miles !
.....Can I have a "Say WHAT?!" ....
It did nothing to help my cars, I did NOT help my engines. It was just a demented and wasteful hobby wrought of sick mind!

But I found the Truth!

I even found UOA.

Now, the Subaru traveled almost double recommended interval, and it had BETTER UOA than a normal interval !

So for the next interval, I used a cheaper oil, ran the UOA and got the same results! All posted on this site.

Last OCI was at 10k miles across Winter; A tough one.

With the recent OC, Now it has Rotella Truck and SUV oil in 5W20 and I even got brave an ran a Fram Ultra!

Car has never run better, It's got close to 75K miles on it.

The wife drives almost 30K a year.

Me, I'm retired now and leased the VW for 2 years. $139 a month. Cheap enough. Only driving 600 miles a month
It will be time to turn it in. at the end of the year. Good Riddance!

Now about that Comcast $237 a month cable bill for one TV No sports, just HBO.

Not that is bothering me REAL bad.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Think.

-Ken

I agree dumping early is wasteful sometimes people give themselves credit for being smarter than they actually are, much of it is a lack of patience and discipline.

Originally Posted by Toto

Think.

-Ken

I agree dumping early is wasteful sometimes people give themselves credit for being smarter than they actually are, much of it is a lack of patience and discipline.

It's the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Originally Posted by shrooms
To this day, I don't get why people want to do things other what the MANUFACTURER says. They built the thing. They're the engineers. People always want to undermine the MANUFACTURER.

I have built engines myself. I break the cam in, change the oil, another oil change at 500, 1000, then do it again at 2k. If you actually cut the filter open, you will find small break in pieces of metal in the filter. Don't run synthetic until you get around 3k or so miles on it. Mind you these are old school air cooled VW engines.

Originally Posted by window
I will change it at a thousand miles and every 5,000. Just thought I'd ask. (How's come it doesn't show in the Search feature if it's been discussed so much?)

Oil's cheap, relatively speaking. 340,000 on my '07 is a good example. Would it have made it on half as many oil changes? Probably. I
did a few oil analyses and they said all was well - that I could extend the interval. At 25 bucks a pop, 70 oil changes is $1,750.
How much is a new engine?

Some high zoot performance cars probably recommend the early OCI as within 1000 to 2000 miles and some even come with "break-in oil" and specified instructions. They would be very exceptional cases though IMO. A query here gets lots of feedback but you are probably going to do what you defaulted to early on as being most comfortable with. I've done the same at times too and just because I received a lot of info, experiences shared, opinionated feedback to consider didn't mean it wasn't valued or appreciated.
grin2.gif

I don't think you are going to harm the planet in any big way nor harm the car but if all you get is a teeny bit of piece of mind with an excessively early or unnecessary oil change then the only consideration in my view is wasting a bit of time and money. Your time and Your money, not really any way to judge 'worth' for someone else.
smile.gif

My plan with a new car purchase 2 years ago was based on my typical driving of 5500 to 6000 miles a year. The first o/c (it takes synthetic) was right at one year and about 5,900 and I had already decided 12 months would be the timing and it just so happens to fit my original idea of 6 k miles. I know 10k is often the mfg recommended so I too am being more than careful and some may say wasting my time and money but one oil change a year is not being wasteful in my view. I do the same on my wife's car, a 2016 that takes synthetic and travels around 6000 a year.

I'd do it slightly different if I rolled higher miles and might go 8000 to 10,000 if I was hitting those totals 8 - 12 months but I'm a bit sketchy on 10k life for oil. It may not be risky or an issue at all but like you, an extra o/c fit in there once in a while or one more per year isn't hurting my budget. I live 4 miles from the office and my wife lives one mile from hers. If anybody is 'wasting time and money' it's those in the wrong house or the wrong location tooling along those 35,000 miles a year !!

lol.gif

~ that was a joke

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Toto

Think.

-Ken

It's the Dunning-Kruger effect.

That's an example of what needs to change in society, calling or snubbing those with a differing opinion as stupid or inept.

With your 10,000-mile OCI on a new truck, I would change it at 1,000-1,500 and then at 10,000 then stick to 10,000 regular intervals.
If you really want to go overboard, change it at 500, again at 2,000 and then at 10,000 and every 10,000 thereafter.
My $0.02

Originally Posted by Meeler
For me this topic is rather interesting!

With our own ideas about what's best or works for us, none of us blew up a motor or at least care to admit it here !
lol.gif

What's your thought on a new vehicle first o/c or the typical intervals you go with ? Don't be bashful now ....
thumbsup2.gif

Ok … most folks here don't run over 15k OCI … only a few. A handful run 10k and a great deal do 5k-7k like I did much of my life (never in the 3k club since long term synthetic user). A small number here run 3k … but the streets in the USA still have those out there.

So I find it interesting that some (not exclusive to this thread) lecture those who elect to do an early change as they wave the OEM flag, yet mock the OLM and change at their feel good spot because of ——————-.
Downright sanctimonious at times.

IMO, one or two early changes in 100k to 200k or more is no more wasteful than the shorter OCI's …

I have a Toyota 4.0 litre 1GR-FE engine that is not quite 4 years old with 115k miles and a 10k mile suggested OCI. I ran the factory fill about half of that, 4-5k miles, then have done 8-10k miles since, more dependent on when I have time to change it as opposed to how close to 10k miles it is (the 4Runner does not have the easiest oil change procedure in the world and it takes me about an hour to do). I've never had a UOA done, but it doesn't seem to use any oil and I haven't had any problems, even after running it a bit hot a couple weeks ago due to a snapped serp. belt. I've run Kendall 0w-20 GT-1 FS since the factory fill, just to be different. Bottom line, don't change it too early, and use that OCI with confidence in Toyota engines. There are zero threads on the big 4Runner forum about engine lubrication type problems with that OCI, and that engine has been out since 2010. i've gotta think the 3.5L is the same way.

I asked the Ford Quick Lane what the average is (They put 5 mo / 5,000 mi stickers on the cars). They said they had two types.

Sticker
4 months or 4,000 mi (I'm down to half a tank I better get fuel NOW!)
6 months or 6,000 mi (The fuel lights only been on for 50 mi I can make it another 10 mi).

IOLM
10 Months or 20%
12.5 months or 10,500 mi (Been zero for two weeks).

I suspect those people are NORMAL and have never heard of BITOG!

My last oil change was 10 months and 17% IOLM (Only 3,900 mi). I'll let you guess which group I'm in. I use multiple vehicles between the business and home and some don't get a lot of miles.

Last edited:
Hey Gene K

Spending much more time here in the last two weeks or-so.
Did you retire?
Are you injured and off work?
Got rid of Cable TV?

I enjoy reading your opinions. Stick around more please.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
hahaha supton. You are from the same school as I.... who was taught that it's more harm than good, to change gas oils prior to normal mileage, 3K use. I would describe normal as 1K per month. I think that's what a majority of households pile-up per month on their odometers.

I had a close buddy in the 70s that changed oil every 1k. By the time that Oldsmobile Cutlass engine had 12k, it was puffing blue smoke on cold startups.

I 'friended' you BTW. Hope you don't mind.

Been doing this type of OCD routine for over 2 decades.

Sure it's a waste of money. But again the cost for peace of mind is well worth it. I could extend my OCI to 6 months and have about 2500-3000 miles. But i'd save what? 25 bucks? I saw the UOA's of people with the same car. The car destroys oil. I haven't done a UOA myself so instead of banking on the good UOA's "some" people have gotten with their car, because we all drive and use our cars differently, i change it prematurely.

Not changing that habit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hey Gene K

Spending much more time here in the last two weeks or-so.
Did you retire?
Are you injured and off work?
Got rid of Cable TV?

I enjoy reading your opinions. Stick around more please.

It's kind of the opposite. I'm essential personel and they have attempted to kill me the last few months at work. I'm attempting to retain my sanity. (It kind of says something about my Mental State when BITOG is an attempt to retain my sanity).

I miss the old days when the people that really had the expertise were available here. Nice to hear from you Triple-7.

Jimmy
Your 2020 Subie destroys oil so early?

Gene
Glad you found a way to keep the sanity. Stress jobs galore out there. Stay rested and keep the smiles genuine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

That's an example of what needs to change in society, calling or snubbing those with a differing opinion as stupid or inept.

This is not a differing opinion, this is fact-based information and it affects the environment.

Do You reject Education?

Calculate the number of oil changes performed in a Year on the 280,000,000 Vehicles registered in the U.S.

It all adds up to a massive pile of WASTE - based on "feelings" or crowd mentality.

I was educated - here on t his forum for well over a decade- but hesitant or just too stubborn to change, but
now I finally understand.

_ Ken

Back