Thoughts About Wheels

All,

Please give me your opinion if you believe that all black wheels would look better on my Rubicon. I like the design of the wheels, but the silver trim "feels" out of place as it is really the only silver trim I have on it. I know that Moab's come with all black spoke type wheels and I am totally fine with factory wheels (especially since it is my thought I can find a set fairly reasonable in cost) and aftermarket wheels are usually $$$ and I can use that money on other upgrades.

What say you?

[Linked Image from iili.io]

I'd do something different than everyone else, and take them to a local wheel powdercoat shop and have the silver parts matched to the green on the Jeep.

Will be happy when black wheels are no longer a thing. (JMO ) Big fan of using OEM wheels from other models or trims to be different.
thumbsup2.gif

Get some dirt on those and you won't notice the silver.

Undoubtedly, black wheels have been overdone lately, along with simulated bead locks. Most aftermarket wheels are too busy and have too much negative offset, (stick out too far past the fender) in my opinion.
The use of 22s and 24s on so called off road trucks is a joke. Nobody who cares about their paint job takes it off road with the tires sticking out a foot past the fender. In winter the mirrors become covered in snow and useless.

Because your Jeep is not black, but has black pieces, I think that satin finished black wheels would look good. If you never leave the pavement, 20s are wonderful, but a pita off road. Go with 17 or 18s.
I won't buy wheels that have more than one bolt pattern. Maybe go with exposed lug nuts. Those could be chrome on black wheels.

When I'm wheel shopping, I go to www.customoffsets.com and enter my bolt pattern and size of wheel I'm looking for. Quite often someone has posted a photo of the vehicle you are shopping for with the wheels
that suit your fancy.

You could start in the middle with an 18X9" wheel with +20mm offset in a black wheel that isn't too busy like a Fuel Baja. 25.4mm = 1 inch, so in this case, your tire center line will be 20mm in. Negative 20MM
would put the tire center line 20mm out from the bolt face.

A tire such as Nitto's EXO or Toyo CT in a 275/65/18 will keep your speedometer within one or two percent of where it is now. Big tires hurt fuel economy.

edit; The tires you have on there now, falken Wild Peak MTs appear that they could use a wider wheel. Too narrow of a wheel vs tire size, wears out the middle of the tire..

Last edited:
I have the same wheels … but that's not the wheel style I see most often.
My Rubi is very black & white so they blend in fine.

Considering it's 5 expensive wheels/tires … if you don't want to visit a powder coat shop … wear out the tires and get a tire/wheel deal then ?

Originally Posted by nwjones18
Also not a huge fan of black wheels.

+1

Before OP gets his money out of modding the current set, I'm sure he'll have upgraded to something else.

Another vote for running them the way they are. They aren't terribly unappealing, nor are they breathtaking.
coffee2.gif

Upgrade to these.(Link)

Seriously, though, I'm also not a fan of "pre-dirtied" wheels that seem to be all the rage.

The silver rim portions provide contrast, and remind one that a wheel is a wheel.

Ultimately, it's about what you like.

I settled on 20X9" +20mm Black & Machined 10 spoke Fuel Hardline. Double bolt pattern, but that's ok with 2x 5 bolts.
Wait a minute, this ain't my Rubicon.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd do something different than everyone else, and take them to a local wheel powdercoat shop and have the silver parts matched to the green on the Jeep.

This is a good option for green or red or even black if that's what you like and want. Just go over that silver that looks out of place to you. It sounds like you are torn by what you think you want and what might be more in style and trending these days. I do agree all black wheels are getting old but they do look better on some cars than others.

You could go all black with a green stripe as circumference. I think that would be my choice. Go with what you like though !!

I'm also wondering about matte black over the silver parts. Lots of options keeping those wheels and still personalizing it.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Back