kv in a oil

hi yall I'm trying to educate myself a bit,
when I look at an oil how do I know if its thick or thin grade ?let's say 30w for that matter, is it the kv at100?
tnx a lot.

Originally Posted by avi1777
hi yall I'm trying to educate myself a bit,
when I look at an oil how do I know if its thick or thin grade ?let's say 30w for that matter, is it the kv at100?
tnx a lot.

A 20-grade oil is thinner than a 30-grade oil, which is thinner than a 40-grade, which is thinner than a 50-grade.

not what I meant, let me elaborate.
there is a thin 30w and thicker 30w,how do I know what's what,is it thru the kv at100 of the oil?

viscosity at100 sorry

I see that you are in Israel, what oil's do they sell there?

As far as an oil that is a thick or thin 30W I believe you can visit the Amsoil or Pennzoil sites and get numbers. There is also a VOA Section on this board where you can compare different oils and look at there 40c and 100c numbers.

there is a thin 30w and thicker 30w,how do I know what's what,is it thru the kv at100 of the oil?

Not quite. HTHS indicates if an oil is thick or thin and affects fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Higher the number @100c, the thicker it is.

Here is a chart from PQIA.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/viscosity.htm

tnk u,
so a 5w30 oil that has a Viscosity of 11.4 at 100°C(my motul eco lite) is considered thick(ish)?
i see a range of 9.3 to 12.5

Last edited:
we have everything besides Pennzoil but the prices will shock you,motul is cheap,m1 is22$ and amsoil25 us$-A QUART.
i use the 5w30 motul eco lite,sn+,ilsac gf5,d1g2,hths3.3,Viscosity of 11.4 at 100°C,tbn is ok at 8.5.i wish i knew the noack of it,no where to be found.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Not quite. HTHS indicates if an oil is thick or thin and affects fuel economy.

Most oils have a KV100 and HTHS that correlate relatively well. So if you only had KV100 numbers to compare, then that would be a way to see which one is thicker at 100 deg C.

edge ll is 11.6,m1 esp is 11.8(hths 3.5) and both carry the mb,vw and Porsche specs,the eco lite is 11.4 and hths of 3.3 as mentioned,looks like its a thick oil and correct me if im wrong but the motul numbers are quit impressive for a d1g2,sn ex 5w30 oil no?

edge ll is 11.6,m1 esp is 11.8(hths 3.5) and both carry the mb,vw and Porsche specs,the eco lite is 11.4 and hths of 3.3 as mentioned,looks like its a thick oil and correct me if im wrong but the motul numbers are quit impressive for a d1g2,sn ex 5w30 oil no?

Those are good HTHS numbers for a 5W-30. All would all work well, but I'd go with the one that meets the required specs and has the highest HTHS.

the amsoil is better in the noack and tbn numbers but will cost me 3times over the motul per each oil change,not worth it.the motul meets all the specs required for a mazda like sn and gf 5and has the g1d2 in addition.

Back