Whoosh-whoosh noise after brake job

My friend's 2014 Pilot had a rear brake job (rotors+pads) done at a shop. As soon as he left the parking lot, he started hearing this faint whoosh-whoosh noise. Since I have the same car, he asked me to drive it and sure enough, when you're coasting thru the neighborhood, there's a whoosh-whoosh-whoosh rubbing noise. It's there when both coasting + braking. It isn't a scraping noise like a bent rotor shield but I pushed each of them back just to make sure. I also noticed the foot parking brake is tighter and takes less clicks to apply than in my Pilot.

I told him to take it back to the shop but what could be the culprit? I looked at the RO and it appears they used SilentStop parts from Fisher Auto.

That has drum in hat parking brake, parking brake shoes are a little tight, minor adjustment. SHoes had to be adjusted after rotor replacement so the parking brake works. I usually set them a little tight and let them wear in to the new rotor on road test. Parking brake works much better that way. Noise will go away on its own in a few days or the adjustment can be backed off slightly

OEM brake pads will fix the problem.

And hope they didn't throw away the Honda hardware.

Last edited:
Probably would be the parking shoes as Timmastertech stated. The factory service manual instructions are to set them too tight, then break them in by driving a given distance and speed with the parking brake on (not making this up).

Could be eccentrically mounted rotors and/or dry pins.

Could be the splash shield, just lightly touching.

Originally Posted by Gebo

No relation to the brake pads or hardware.

This is purely a parking brake adjustment issue.

Originally Posted by The Critic

No relation to the brake pads or hardware.

This is purely a parking brake adjustment issue.

Due to the inferior quality of the non OEM pad material and poor design of the hardware.

Due to the inferior quality of the non OEM pad material and poor design of the hardware.

Again, there is no relation - the issue is with the parking brake shoe adjustment. The parking brake shoes and hardware are not replaced during a routine brake job.

Concur. The tech did the right thing and set the shoes to where they just touch. I'm assuming this isn't loud. With the old manual drum brakes, you'd tighten them until you couldn't spin the wheel and then back off 4 clicks or so.

It's nice to have a good firm e-brake.

M

Back