STP and RISLONE Zinc

Went to my local OReilly to get a new battery and moseyed on down the oil additive aisle. Saw Rislone and STP oil treatments and both have Zinc. Is too much Zinc bad for the motor if the DPF and cat are irrelevant?

You want ZDP? Buy some Cam Makers wear in additive.

I'm sure the OTC snake oil stuff is very weak, maybe even less PPM than ILSAC Motor oil IIRC a recent VOA.

Wearing in an aggressive ramp flat tappet cam - That's when you really MIGHT need it.

Sometimes a bet extra it helps "velvet" things out on "raucous" engines.

Many Engines use very short slipper skirt pistons and have long "Big Block" strokes of 4" or more.

This can make the TDC " turn around" a bit "stick slippy" and Ive hade a ZDP boost smooth things out .
But that was through a High Treat rate ODPE lube not from Snake oil .

Last edited:
From Rislone website

A "snake oil" response?

Can I use Rislone Hy-per Lube ZDDP Supplement in my newer vehicle?
No, you should not use Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment in 2005 and newer gasoline and 2007 and later diesel engines. Current oils have enough Zinc to protect moving parts inside newer engines. However, to help prevent sludge and keep that engine clean, it is recommended to use Rislone Engine Treatment p/n 100QR or 4102 on all newer engines.

How is Rislone Hy-per Lube ZDDP Supplement different than break in additives (Cam Makers wear in additives from above post)?
Break in additives contain extremely high concentrations of ZDDP and are only designed to be left in the engine for a short period of time. Many of these additives don't contain detergents or other lubricity additives important to keeping your engine clean and lubricated for thousands of miles. Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment not only contains the correct amount of ZDDP, but also the other additives important to protecting your engine. Do not use as a break in additive.

TYPICAL TEST RESULTS INDICATE:GASOLINE ENGINES
With typical SN rated oil at a 7% dosage rate expect levels to be raised to a total of:
Zn Zinc 1700 - 1800 ppm
P Phosphorous 1500 - 1600 ppm

Rislone Zinc

Good to know.

So we can put the Rislone in NOT SNAKE OIL category. - At least as far as composition is concerned

But ZDP does have detergent action so that statement is not totally correct.

And the treat rate can be adjusted to get the desired % Phosphorous, typically ~ 0.12

For a while most ZDP boosting additive were disappearing from the market likely under pressure from Automakers, SAE, ILSAC and API. Three- way catalyst and thin film wideband lambda can be sensitive to earth metal deposits

I wonder if some general advisory have lapsed or they just don't have any teeth.

Last edited:
Back