Newer BMW burning oil...

I'm not surprised, some BMW V8 valve stem seals have been a known problem for a while.

Do you own a BMW? Better carry a case of oil in your trunk
According to Consumer Reports, the BMW 5 Series V8 engines are 27 times more likely to burn excessive oil. What other models from BMW top the list?

Do we know its not just a ton of moisture in the exhaust system from cars often sitting for extended periods these days???

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Oil overfilled or this car didn't have regular oil changes.

15K mile oil change interval are crazy.

Tell me about it; the M54 in my son's E90 is at 150k miles on a 15K mile OCI. No issues but I'm sure it will spontaneously explode at any time.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Do we know its not just a ton of moisture in the exhaust system from cars often sitting for extended periods these days???

I was behind this car for about a mile, anytime it was moving it was puffing out blue smoke.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Oil overfilled or this car didn't have regular oil changes.

15K mile oil change interval are crazy.

Acceptable for many styles of driving with certain engines; certainly nothing a mfg should be recommending however. Did they not cut it back to 10K? (you know, the OCI Toyota recommends lol)

I'm not sure blaming the owner is in order

Last edited:
I had a Honda Accord puffing blue smoke with around 60k, as bad or worse. The fix was valve stem seals which I did myself in the driveway, not that bad to do. Just needed to make an air pressure adapter out of an old spark plug to keep the valves up. Maybe the 83 Accord was trying to get me to buy an EV?

I looked up the plates and the car is a 2011 model year, so no telling how many miles on it. It's a 550i, so it has an N63, which is a known oil burner. Not good to see, but not terribly uncommon given the car.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Because moisture is not blue?

Originally Posted by gregk24
Maybe it was abused, maybe this is a design flaw. Either way I was surprised to see this while I was out driving yesterday...

550i burning oil

N63 engine. Valve stem seals, bad turbo coolant and oil lines.
The problem is architecture of an engine and turbos sitting in V bay. Engines runs extremely hot, and normal coolant temperature is 110c. It is to improve efficiency. It is ballistic missile of an engine and still returns decent mpg. But penalty is in issues around valve stems and turbo lines.
BMW had customer care package for owners of N63 and S63 (M version) where they covered replacement of these parts on BMW dime regardless of warranty. Now, whether this owner did it or not is in the air.
In 2012 BMW introduced N63TU and S63TU (technical update) where they redesigned bunch of these problematic parts. These engines are still in use, and did not hear them having issues anymore.

Originally Posted by Anduril
I see BMWs leaving a smoke trail far more than any other brand of vehicle.

IDK, my most unreliable vehicle was Toyota Land Cruiser, and I had numerous BMW's.

Back