Keep K&N or NOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

[/quote.]
Your comment above of "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" is implying that people who drop in a K&N are out street racing to test for HP gains. If that's what you didn't mean then you should word it differently. And duh ... yeah, I think anyone with a driver's license knows that street racing is illegal, but that doesn't stop them ... especially if they just dropped in a K&N air filter.
lol.gif

[/quote.]

Actually your plucking out words of my posts then applying your own opinions as to what it implies, still doesn't change "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" sounding correct to me.
01.gif

Nice job on the quotes, lol. So why did you even mention that in this discussion ... was it just a random thought that popped onto your head?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

[/quote.]
Your comment above of "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" is implying that people who drop in a K&N are out street racing to test for HP gains. If that's what you didn't mean then you should word it differently. And duh ... yeah, I think anyone with a driver's license knows that street racing is illegal, but that doesn't stop them ... especially if they just dropped in a K&N air filter.
lol.gif

[/quote.]

Actually your plucking out words of my posts then applying your own opinions as to what it implies, still doesn't change "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" sounding correct to me.
01.gif

Nice job on the quotes, lol. So why did you even mention that in this discussion ... was it just a random thought that popped onto your head?
smirk2.gif

Why do you want to know why I write something? I guess I refer you to the original topic of use KN or not. and you figure it out., or not
10.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So why did you even mention that in this discussion ... was it just a random thought that popped onto your head?
smirk2.gif

Why do you want to know why I write something? I guess I refer you to the original topic of use KN or not. and you figure it out., or not
10.gif

The original topic was about using K&N air filters ... not about street racing. So somehow you've tried to connect the two. Not everyone putting a K&N into their car is a guy who is "public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain ". Where else would you get "fractions of hp gain" that you're talking about?

Keep the K&N in there and clean it after every 50k miles. Personally I have never known anyone who has had any detrimental effects from this brand although I only know of 6 or 7 such persons. Even then, they have anywhere from 30k to 190k miles with them in their vehicles. No harm, no foul. ...€

I'd ditch it and go with a stock filter. There were plenty of UOA reports on this site over the years showing they don't filter as well as a stock filter. That was proof enough for me not to try one, and stick with a stock filter.

I had a K&N on the Civic, an accord and Sienna. Accord and Sienna I sold with the K&N in it. On the civic I ditched the K&N 2 years ago and went back to a paper filter.

I sold the K&N for $10 on Kijiji.

I also would recommend a stock or stock equivalent air filter, unless you have modified the vehicle enough to require additional airflow at redline/wide open throttle. But since you already bought the K&N and the cleaning/oiling kit, you might as well keep them -- you probably take good enough care of the car that something else will end its life (hopefully old age) before the reduced air filter efficiency becomes a problem. Having said that, the only real benefit of a K&N (besides the additional WOT airflow) is that you can re-use it and will eventually recoup the entire cost if you own the vehicle long enough. That is pretty cool. I chose to run an aFe Pro Dry S reusable filter instead.

I'd ditch it and go with a stock filter. There were plenty of UOA reports on this site over the years showing they don't filter as well as a stock filter. That was proof enough for me not to try one, and stick with a stock filter.
And plenty of UOAs like mine that look fine/indicate good filtering.

Ok. I saw enough that weren't so hot to keep me away from them. Conversations with pros and respected members here swayed me away too. But as the saying goes: use what makes you happy. ;)
I just think it's all confirmation bias - more folks that have drama will post than don't so those looking for issues see issues.

I just think it's all confirmation bias - more folks that have drama will post than don't so those looking for issues see issues.
Good point, that's typical of all message boards like this. People often join to sound off or complain.

I recall years ago reading about the testing of those filters, and they did allow more air into the engine. The trade off was more dirt entered as well, which I didn't think was good. Joining Bitog confirmed that. If the additional dirt causes additional wear which common sense leads me to believe I'd rather not use it. Now depending on how long a person keeps the vehicle they might never know. Some people are after every bit of performance they can possibly get and aren't concerned about additional wear as a cost factor, I'm not one of those people. By the same token I still maintain use what makes you happy, you have your reasons.

I've had many K&Ns and still have two in my vehicles today. I clean them often enough and reoil with NuFinish. They seem to work fine no matter how often I wash the car. :ROFLMAO:

Good point, that's typical of all message boards like this. People often join to sound off or complain.

I recall years ago reading about the testing of those filters, and they did allow more air into the engine. The trade off was more dirt entered as well, which I didn't think was good. Joining Bitog confirmed that. If the additional dirt causes additional wear which common sense leads me to believe I'd rather not use it. Now depending on how long a person keeps the vehicle they might never know. Some people are after every bit of performance they can possibly get and aren't concerned about additional wear as a cost factor, I'm not one of those people. By the same token I still maintain use what makes you happy, you have your reasons.
100% - air flow at the expense of filtration. I'm in the modified/looking for all the power I can get camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back