Bad cat at 110k?

Shouldn't your emission warranty still be valid at 110k in california? If so bring it to the dealer to fix it, check your user manual to see how long is that warranty.

If it is short trip it is possible it went bad. Can you check if you hit something and dented it? There are universal CAL cat that you can hire a shop to weld on if it is pass warranty, they have the CARB number that would match the car, just not a bolt on so some welding is needed (i.e. $200), but it will be much cheaper than an OEM cat if bolt on aftermarket CAL CAT is not available.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Do the O2 spacer trick, clear the code - done. That buys you plenty of time to consider replacing a C/C. The P0420/430 code sets at a low 10% thresehold of effiecency loss.

They check under the car for these kind of nonsense and fail you immediately. They also make sure you have to run the emission cycle before you can test to avoid clearing and testing right away too.

Last edited:
Feel bad for you man...

That's cruddy... Like the one member said is it possible it's still under warranty ??

Hopefully the answer is yes.

Mine was obviously not at 240,000 miles. My warranty was like 85,000 miles on my cats.

From what I could find, emissions warranty is 8/80k. Under on age, over on miles. But the light went off on its own today without doing anything. I'm still going to replace the O2 sensors based on miles and see if it ever comes back.

Originally Posted by Anduril
From what I could find, emissions warranty is 8/80k. Under on age, over on miles. But the light went off on its own today without doing anything. I'm still going to replace the O2 sensors based on miles and see if it ever comes back.

Hopefully the code doesn't come back..

I know I've got a baffle, tube, etc, rattling badly in the rear muffler on our 2015 Versa. This was discovered after fiddling and reinforcing the attachment points on all the heat shields that were falling off one by one. I shoulda listened to Scotty. LOL.

My co-workers 2013? Versa had a rattling cat for a while, which he was going to fix, but the CVT went out a few months ago at 100k, so the car is being sold for scrap.

Unfortunately, none of the transmission choices are necessarily robust on the Versa.

I've read of throw out bearing and slave cylinder issues with the 5spd and even the last generation (2014-2017) of the 4spd auto like my 2015 is kind of an unknown. They made it "sealed" like the CVT but it can be serviced.

I gotta decide if I want to mail order a $300 cat back exhaust for my 2015 or try to have a shop weld on a new rear muffler, which I'm not sure they'd do for me.

Back